“Not sure why it's a lonely planet top choice.”
Review of Asheton Hotel

Asheton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 20 Lalibela B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Pretty good location but the rooms were more run down than in the other budget hotels in Ethiopia. One nice table in the garden. Good service at the reception. But nothing special about this place. It's ok for a night or two but i'd research if there are any newer budget hotels in Lalibela (haven't really seen any better looking ones when walking around the town?). If you stay there definitely try the Unique restaurant opposite!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel has real character, a lovely garden of flowers and an area to sit out. The rooms are nice, the food is good and the staff are very helpful. Josef from the hotel was our guide around the Lalibela churches and was very good. The hotel is an easy walk to everywhere. Pickup from and to the airport was easily arranged with the hotel and we were able to negotiate a good price (we were on a tight budget).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CatLoblaw
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I came for one night and was ill for much of it so spent more time at the hotel and less in the town than would have wanted. However, having said that the hotel was nice. The decor is aiming to be traditional, and although the hotel is quite central and near hustle and bustle, it is quite calm with a little garden inside so it is a nice relax. The bathroom ensuites was fine, hot water once I worked out the system. No mosquito nets so bring your own. The staff were friendly enough and prices decent as well (although I forget how much ??150birr pn)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank James A
Reviewed 23 August 2013

A comfortable place with hot water. Prices are negotiable and staff are friendly. We also met an excellent guide at the hotel, called Abebe. He took myself and a friend up the mountains to a local monastery for a very good rate - 200 Birr total.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SHJ13
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This place is simple and affordable in a great location - five minutes to the church ticket office. I stayed here for a few nights and after trekking in the countryside the crooked toilet and the hot drizzle from the shower felt luxurious! As mentioned earlier, the man with dreadlocks also offered us a guide upon arrival. He wasn't pushy and I've come expect people at hotels to try to upsell services. Probably my favorite part of the hotel is its proximity to the Unique Restaurant across the street. I had all my meals there which are very affordable and the owner Cisco is really cool.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Great location, Simple but clean rooms and with en suite bathrooms and comfy beds. The courtyard garden is a lovely place to relax after a hard day's church visiting. I had decided to take a guide to the churches ( normally I prefer to wander peacefully alone ) to make a contribution to the local economy so I took the hotel's recommendation. I knew at 500 Birr it was probably a bit more expensive than if I'd tried to find one independently ( the guide doesn't get this amount ) I went for it for the sake of convenience. .Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't experience any hassle from reception about it and you can always politely decline! In the end i was so glad I'd taken that option as my guide, Zenebe ( ask reception for his number ) couldn't have been more helpful and, as a lone woman traveler, an absolute gentleman! He also took me to Torpedo tej ( honey wine ) house in the evening.....It's totally non touristy, just somewhere locals hang out to listen to music get into the astonishing traditional shoulder dancing. For food the extraordinary Ben Abeba restaurant is the place to go...15 mins walk from Asheton.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank carinaegypt
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Asheton Hotel's location in Lalibella is hard to beat, as is the price, for a double room that is basic but more than adequate. I would have given a higher rating except we, too, noticed problems that originated with the front desk. (There is a lot of hustle from an unlicensed guide at the front desk.) But the more concerning thing was that after we departed the hotel en route by bus to Bahir Dar. At a bus change at a junction a man approached and said he had been sent to collect by the hotel because we only paid for two of our three nights stay. We cleared that up with a call to the hotel but its concerning that many locals have warned us that this is likely a scam.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple