“cheap, but not welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Asheton Hotel

Asheton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 19 Lalibela B&B and Inns
Israel
“cheap, but not welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

stayed there one night and only because we arrived very late and that's the only place i new about in Lalibela. the staff is really not welcoming, the restaurant is sooooo expensive for no reason and the waiter was a real idiot.they say they have wifi, but it never works.. the room is cheap- 200 Birr (10$). the bed is really good though it's small. recommend to go to Blulal Hotel (really close to Asheton)- it is cheaper (120 Birr), the water are hot in the shower and they provide an excellent laundry facility!! they are also very nice and very helpful :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elinorush7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here for three nights with my tour group. Beautiful sunny courtyard, lovely for sitting outside. Restaurant was very mournful and slow but so many lovely restaurants in the town thatthis was not a problem. I had a very small single room and the bathroom was literally more than twice the size of the bedroom. Good hot water

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margaret C
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights in a twin room and I found it quite clean! The bathroom was very tiny and not very well kept, but it was ok!
The garden in the courtyard is gorgeous, and you feel like you can relax in the room leaving the door opened.
The only way to book is to call them; take note of the price they give you, I was told 300 birr per night but when I got there they tried to charge 450, so I had to show them the note I had taken and they charged 300.
Pick ups from the apt in 70 birr per person and you can't get a reduction, it's like institutional! :)
The only problem I had was that out pick up to the airport had to leave at 7.30, at 7.00 they came knocking at our door to tell us the van was leaving! We told them we were almost ready but they came again 10 minutes later and 2 other times.
I left the room at 7.20 a bit pissed, because that's not the way to treat the guests!
So watch out for the pick up time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights. The rooms were cosy and clean. There was hot water every day and the staff was very friendly. A pitty the wifi never worked. But overal a really good choice to stay in Lalibela.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank b03
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Rooms are good and clean with the shower needing a little work. Great garden outside your room. Away from the hustle of the main street. Guides can be had from here. Very close to the churches and ATM's and also the 7 Olives restaurant which had excellent food.
This place was good for the price....250 birr for a single. They had nil singles remaining so gave us a double each.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gtirman
Acton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Arriving in Lalibela in the rain, our group was a bit grumpy as we walked from hotel to hotel looking for something comfortable. Initially, we weren't too impressed with the Asheton and left to scope a few more options, but after seeing the much-lauded Seven Olives, we returned to the Asheton where the staff was happy to see us again. The double rooms are quite small, but cozy and clean. The mattress was a strange double-tall new spring mattress that felt like a waterbed to sit on, but was extremely comfortable once I laid out. The water pressure in the "phone shower" was very low, but the water was hot which is more than I can say for most Ethiopian hotels.
The courtyard is beautiful and the staff were very friendly. They were firm about the 400 birr/night price, but I got the sense that if we stayed for more than two nights they may have cut a deal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarnivoreOnTheRun
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I arrived on the week of the holiday Timket, and stayed for two nights. I must have looked pretty tired arriving from the bus, because the quote I received for a single room was 300 Birr for the first night and 400 for the second (I was leaving before the actual holiday). The regular rate was more like 200, but they told me they were nearly fully booked because of the holiday and it made sense to me at the moment. Well, on my second day I overheard into my room them showing the room to another customer for 350. I asked other guests what they were paying and it was between 200-350...so apparently I was the only one paying 400, and half the rooms remained empty with doors flung open as I was leaving. I nicely brought this up with the reception, and they didn't care how I felt about their random pricing.
Room itself was okay, but the shower head in at least room 12 was messed up. Check yours before you pick a room. Was really hard to wash my hair. They have warm water whenever they have electricity. I woke up one morning to a guy washing my window, I asked him to move elsewhere, which he did. Don't know if it's really necessary to do that early in the morning when guests are still sleeping. Other than that it's an okay place to sleep, but their greedy attitude definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: Room 12 shower head is broken
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Lalibela hotels