Panoramic View Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Maribela Hotel(Lalibela)
Aman Hotel(Lalibela)
Jumia Travel
Yemereha Hotel(Lalibela)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsother hotelsfire pitdon't expect luxurynice hotelroof terracetour guidetop floorrestaurant staffexcellent stayhot watergift shophotel is situatedbeds were comfortablehoney winetraditional foodben abeba restaurantlalibela churches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was using Panoramic view hotel upon the opening of the hotel to accommodate my esteemed clients during their visit of Lalibela(the best place to visit).
But one day, they cancelled my11 rooms that I already booked 6 months ago for 23,24 & 25 october.
Here I can confirm that the staffs are very hospitable, and friendly, especially Alebel and Yirga.
Again, I can say that the view is really panoramic.
Yenew

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side(at the back)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Panoramic view hotel lalibela is always a great place to enjoy the lalibela beautiful valley and the wonderful landscape of the soraunding area. As always my groups are all very happy with their stay in this beautiful new hotel. The service is grown a lot and everyone in the hotel is very helpful. I recommend this great place to everyone to stay the night and admire the nature.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Hayouet
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is a recent addition to Lalibela (Sept 2013) and as such everything is very new and clean looking. The highlights include the view, value, and the service/hospitality, and while the hotel is about a 15 minute easy walk from the center of town, it's still in a very good location (nearby to several feature attractions like iconic restaurant Ben Abeba, which I also reviewed) and provides an excellent value for the money.
I arranged hotel transport and guide service through the owner, Amdemariam, in advance, and he showed me door to door service and hospitality. I was so surprised when he greeted me personally upon arrival. Even though my flight was delayed coming from Gondar, a guide and driver with a private van were waiting for me at the Hotel Stand at the airport with my name on a sign, eliminating any hassle or confusion about how to arrange a taxi or find the hotel (in Gondar the hotel forgot to pick me up). Not only that, my Lalibela experience began right away since we made several photo stops along the picturesque drive to the hotel, as the guide, Kassa, explained the history of the region.
The hotel was located 30 minutes outside of the airport, passing through the heart of the town along the way. I reached the hotel at 1030 and they kindly gave me a room even though it was very early still (in my experience, It's very rare to get check-in before noon). The staff immediately collected my luggage to the room, which was minimalist but clean, appointed with tasteful Ethiopian furnishings, pictures, and carved wood. The other thing I especially appreciated about the room was the multi-adapter power strip provided for me by the hotel so that I didn't have to find the right adapters to access the local power. The only downside of the room is that they didn't provide soap or shampoo, but since I had brought my own it wasn't a big deal - I also feel that if I had asked, they would have provided it as I'm sure it was just an oversight.
In the lobby, the guide, the owner, and I sat down to discuss my program for the next two days. They tailored a non-standard itinerary based on my desire to concentrate on photography and interaction with local people.
After a full-day of touring by foot the churches in town, I walked back to the hotel and enjoyed a St. George beer in the hotel garden, perched on the edge of a cliff for a spectacular view. This is a great place to watch the sunset, either from the roof deck, the garden, or from your private patio. Note about the roof deck - bring your yoga mat because it is a perfect space for sunrise or sunset yoga.
The second day we arranged private transport with a guide and driver to a church outside of the main city, on a mountain after enjoying an a la carte breakfast (eggs and toast mostly) with fresh papaya juice included in the room rate. Throughout the entire visit I was impressed with the hotel's punctuality, as I’ve had bad experiences previously in Africa with guides and transfers being late, as well as food taking way too long, throwing off my entire schedule.
On the second night, I finished my tour early so I again sat on the patio and enjoyed a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony, which the hotel provided, and then later a beer as I surfed the net on the complimentary hotel wi-fi, which luckily, I was also able to get in my room since it was near the lobby. They also had a full bar with homemade Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine.
I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant the second night and asked the waitress what would come out fast, and she recommended the Beef Tibs and Injera - it was delivered promptly within 15 minutes and was delicious.
The receptionist was always helpful and friendly any time I needed anything for the room or any food or drink (like bottles of water), and again, I really appreciated the promptness of my airport transport back to the Lalibela airport so that I could make my flight on time. It was also nice to be able to pay with credit card upon check out since I was running low on local currency.
All in all this is one of the best value hotels I have stayed at in Africa so far,

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the entrance can latch on to the free wi-fi. The downside is that these rooms are a little noisier starting at 0700 with guests checking out and cleaning crews coming through.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank therestlessroad
Reviewed 12 January 2014

By the time we got to this hotel we'd had enough of temperamental plumbing, tiny bathrooms and murky lighting which made it impossible to read in bed. The Panoramic is none of those things and we basked in the luxury of proper shower cubicles, spotless modern bathrooms and guaranteed hot water. The rooms are spacious, modern and very clean and some have their own balconies which look over an amazing view. The restaurant has an indoor section and an outdoor terrace where you want watch the sun go down whilst sipping a cool drink. Service is enthusiastic rather than efficient but it makes up for that with the charm and willingness of the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Fiona R
Reviewed 8 January 2014

During our initial email contact with Panoramic View Hotel, the hotel outlined pricing for the rooms. 160USD for a triple room and 150USD for a twin room. My wife and I booked a triple room (1 King and 1 Twin bed), over 4 months in advance of our trip, at the 160USD rate. In addition, the hotel stated via email that a shuttle to and from the airport would be provided. The hotel contacted us 2 months prior to our arrival to confirm our triple room.

Upon arrival, we were checked in and led directly to a twin room with no notice that our reservation had changed. We questioned the hotel and they said no triple rooms were available. When asked about the price for the room, they stated it was the same as the twin room, which was incorrect based on the pricing they originally provided us. We argued the matter and decided to let it go as it wasn’t worth it over 20USD. However, it was evident that they gave the triple rooms to a large tour group as we also heard another party complain about their triple room not being available.

When we attempted to schedule our shuttle to the airport, the front desk clerk (who incidentally showed little sense of concern about our inquiry) told us that the cost would be 70 Birr per person if shared with others at a far earlier time than we needed to be at the airport, or 400 Birr per person if we go alone at a time of our choosing. We again, argued over the matter as our original email stated that a shuttle would be provided to and from the airport. They eventually agreed to covering the shuttle, but only after demanding proof.

Also note that the hotel’s website states the ability to pay by credit card. As other reviewers have stated, this was not the case.

Lastly, the amenities were pretty basic, especially considering the outrageous price of 160USD. Our twin beds were comfortable. However, our bathroom had a drain in the middle of the floor that was concealed by a small carpet. By the second day of our stay, the drain started overflowing and the carpet became sewage logged, which led to a foul odor in the bathroom. Our balcony faced the back, toward a few huts with children constantly yelling up and power lines partially obstructing our view, a far cry from a panoramic view.

While Lalibela hotels are known for price gouging during Christmas time, I would highly suggest choosing another hotel if you are booking yourself (I’m sure tour groups get the most benefit from arrangements with Panoramic View Hotel.) However, if you’re booking yourself, be prepared to deal with dishonest bait and switch tactics.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple