“Nice view but...”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
Niteroi, RJ
“Nice view but...”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Well, the view is stunning, but the hotel experience is just average, rooms have just the basic, no TV, no wifi on the rooms. Food is not good, breakfast is very poor. I ate the worst injeera in Ethiopia. Try eating on the neighboor Mountain View, this was the best! Staff there is nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jair b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We spent three nights in the Panoramic having just arrived in Ethiopia. I can highly recommend it - good position just on the edge of town (a little quieter than the centre) .. wonderful wonderful views from your room (we had one with a balcony which was brilliant)
Good clean, light and bright rooms with good bathrooms with hot water and good laundry service.
The owner and staff were very very helpful making all our arrangements for things we wanted to do ..nothing was too much trouble. Our guide Abeba was enthusiastic and interesting.
Free pick up and collection from the airport good and on time.
As with so many places Wi fi was down (which meant they could only accept cash!)

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Fenella H
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel, within walking distance of the rock-hewn churches, was a beautiful quiet place to relax. Good food and friendly staff always willing to help. Especially enjoyed the quiet beers ($1) on our balcony overlooking the spectacular mountain scenery at the end of each day.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary F
Nogent-sur-Marne, France
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Visiting north of Ethiopia, we stayed at Panoramic view hotel : safe, clean, good food, friendly welcome and arrangements for our group, cocktail on the terrace , gift shop in the hotel, free WI FI, and, and, from our room, unforgettable sunsets and sunrises .
Easy to explore on foot the city, walking safely along the streets lined with small shops full of handmade items.
Worthwhile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view ! Then ask for a period when religious feast such as St Georges (end o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Catherine T
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was using Panoramic view hotel upon the opening of the hotel to accommodate my esteemed clients during their visit of Lalibela(the best place to visit).
But one day, they cancelled my11 rooms that I already booked 6 months ago for 23,24 & 25 october.
Here I can confirm that the staffs are very hospitable, and friendly, especially Alebel and Yirga.
Again, I can say that the view is really panoramic.
Yenew

Room Tip: Rooms on the western side(at the back)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Panoramic view hotel lalibela is always a great place to enjoy the lalibela beautiful valley and the wonderful landscape of the soraunding area. As always my groups are all very happy with their stay in this beautiful new hotel. The service is grown a lot and everyone in the hotel is very helpful. I recommend this great place to everyone to stay the night and admire the nature.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Hayouet
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel is a recent addition to Lalibela (Sept 2013) and as such everything is very new and clean looking. The highlights include the view, value, and the service/hospitality, and while the hotel is about a 15 minute easy walk from the center of town, it's still in a very good location (nearby to several feature attractions like iconic restaurant Ben Abeba, which I also reviewed) and provides an excellent value for the money.
I arranged hotel transport and guide service through the owner, Amdemariam, in advance, and he showed me door to door service and hospitality. I was so surprised when he greeted me personally upon arrival. Even though my flight was delayed coming from Gondar, a guide and driver with a private van were waiting for me at the Hotel Stand at the airport with my name on a sign, eliminating any hassle or confusion about how to arrange a taxi or find the hotel (in Gondar the hotel forgot to pick me up). Not only that, my Lalibela experience began right away since we made several photo stops along the picturesque drive to the hotel, as the guide, Kassa, explained the history of the region.
The hotel was located 30 minutes outside of the airport, passing through the heart of the town along the way. I reached the hotel at 1030 and they kindly gave me a room even though it was very early still (in my experience, It's very rare to get check-in before noon). The staff immediately collected my luggage to the room, which was minimalist but clean, appointed with tasteful Ethiopian furnishings, pictures, and carved wood. The other thing I especially appreciated about the room was the multi-adapter power strip provided for me by the hotel so that I didn't have to find the right adapters to access the local power. The only downside of the room is that they didn't provide soap or shampoo, but since I had brought my own it wasn't a big deal - I also feel that if I had asked, they would have provided it as I'm sure it was just an oversight.
In the lobby, the guide, the owner, and I sat down to discuss my program for the next two days. They tailored a non-standard itinerary based on my desire to concentrate on photography and interaction with local people.
After a full-day of touring by foot the churches in town, I walked back to the hotel and enjoyed a St. George beer in the hotel garden, perched on the edge of a cliff for a spectacular view. This is a great place to watch the sunset, either from the roof deck, the garden, or from your private patio. Note about the roof deck - bring your yoga mat because it is a perfect space for sunrise or sunset yoga.
The second day we arranged private transport with a guide and driver to a church outside of the main city, on a mountain after enjoying an a la carte breakfast (eggs and toast mostly) with fresh papaya juice included in the room rate. Throughout the entire visit I was impressed with the hotel's punctuality, as I’ve had bad experiences previously in Africa with guides and transfers being late, as well as food taking way too long, throwing off my entire schedule.
On the second night, I finished my tour early so I again sat on the patio and enjoyed a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony, which the hotel provided, and then later a beer as I surfed the net on the complimentary hotel wi-fi, which luckily, I was also able to get in my room since it was near the lobby. They also had a full bar with homemade Tej, the Ethiopian honey wine.
I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant the second night and asked the waitress what would come out fast, and she recommended the Beef Tibs and Injera - it was delivered promptly within 15 minutes and was delicious.
The receptionist was always helpful and friendly any time I needed anything for the room or any food or drink (like bottles of water), and again, I really appreciated the promptness of my airport transport back to the Lalibela airport so that I could make my flight on time. It was also nice to be able to pay with credit card upon check out since I was running low on local currency.
All in all this is one of the best value hotels I have stayed at in Africa so far,

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the entrance can latch on to the free wi-fi. The downside is that these rooms a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo