“Perfect Lalibela hotel”
Review of Maribela Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Maribela Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
“Perfect Lalibela hotel”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a great stay at hotel Maribela and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Lalibela. The hotel is clean, comfortable and beautiful. we stayed in the triple room which was spacious even with three twin beds. The room had a large balcony with a great seating area looking over the hills. The hotel's internet works well. The staff at Maribela hotel were fantastic. The restaurant at Maribela has not yet been completed (as of July 2014), but will be completed in the coming months. The staff recommended a great restaurant down the road and even walked with us to make sure we found our way. They set us up with a great tour guide. Additionally, one of the members of our group has food allergies and the staff were very accommodating for breakfast. We could not have been happier with our stay, it was clear that all of the staff are proud of the work they do and care about their guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelsey a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I loved my stay at Maribela! The hotel staff were wonderful, the room was clean and lovely, and the view from the patio was breathtaking. I highly recommend staying at this hotel when visiting Lalibela.

1 Thank Jessica B
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A stay at the Maribela comes with a lovely breakfast (try the avocado smoothie), great views, easy walk to other parts of town/souvenir shops, and nicely decorated rooms. And internet to boot. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michelle L
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I highly recommend Maribela Hotel. I came with my family and stayed for three days. Before we booked, we were in between a few other options. However, after staying at Maribela and seeing the other places to stay, Maribela was definitely the best choice. The hotel was very clean and the staff couldn't be nicer. Daniel, the receptionist, helped us with everything we needed. He walked us to a fabulous restaurant at night so that we wouldn't get lost and also arranged a free coffee ceremony for us at the hotel. The rest of the staff (I forget their names) were also delightful. Each room has an incredible view. My favorite part of the room was the day bed on the balcony. It is perfect for taking a nap or relaxing outside. The wifi worked well for us and the showers were nice and had hot water. Although the hotel does not offer lunch or dinner yet (they will eventually though), it is still a great place to stay. I couldn't be happier with our stay.

Room Tip: Every room has a great view. Since I was traveling with my Dad and my sister, we chose the room with...
1 Thank valbowden
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had the chance to stay at this hotel on June 21 & 22, 2014 (Saturday and Sunday nights). The rooms were spotless, the views were amazing, the service was topnotch and the wifi was the best we had while we were in Africa (and complimentary). Breakfast was served each morning and it was included in the cost of the room, made to order, at the time of your choice. Each room had a balcony with a bed suitable for sleeping on overnight, a shawl for keeping warm in the evening and a pair of binoculars....and I thought these were great touches, especially considering the amazing view. We also were given a bottle of water each night we stayed, which is important when traveling in Ethiopia (or any other African country). Daniel (part of the hotel staff) walked with us to dinner and then met us again to walk us home afterwards...I especially liked this, considering we were in a foreign country and completely out of our comfort zone. There are several restaurants within walking distance and on-site security (despite there not being any obvious security issues). The rooms were so quiet that I swear you could hear a pin-drop....

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms would be great....I cannot think of a reason why one would be better than a...
1 Thank Melissa T
Mikias G, General Manager at Maribela Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Mikias Getahun2014, General Manager at Maribela Hotel, Lalibela Ethiopia, responded to this

Dear Melissa T,

Thank you very much for making the Maribela hotel your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Lalibela and for the time you took to share with us this very positive comment here on Trip advisor.

It’s a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed our Super Breakfast, spaciousness of our rooms and its location. And a day bed on our balcony, I understand from your comment that my team was able to exceed your expectations through the service they delivered. It is a great message of compliment for us and I will be sure to share this with them.

I very much look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Should you have the chance kindly find us on Facebook to have updated information about our hotel.

Kind regards
Mikias Getahun
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed there with a friend one night during our tour in Ethiopia (Addis - Lalibela - Gondar/Simien Mountains - Bahir Dar). It completely exceeded our expectations! The rooms are spacy and gorgeous with new bathrooms and plenty of hot water (what may be a a rare commodity in Ethiopia). The balcony from each room has breathtaking view over the area. The room rate is very reasonable for the quality of accommodation and service! The breakfast is included - it is fresh although simple. Our host Daniel (Derbo) has made our stay really pleasant - we were served a charming coffee ceremony just for us in the little garden by the hotel. His service was very professional with excellent tips for Lalibela - where to go and where to eat! So if you are planning to visit Lalibela - this got to be your first choice!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anna Z
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I recently visited Lalibela and stayed at the Maribela Hotel. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Rooms are spacious and the furnishings are first rate. As others have noted, the rooms have large balconies with unbelievably stunning views. Breakfast is basic, but very good and included with the room rate. My avocado smoothie was especially delicious. Needless to say, the coffee was amazing - and the young woman who served me breakfast also prepares and serves traditional Ethiopian coffee in the hotel's lovely garden area. During my two day visit, Daniel introduced himself as the receptionist but actually seemed to be the all around duty manager and concierge. He was amazing and really helped to make my visit special. He took me to a nearby restaurant for dinner one night (we watched the Cameroon-Mexico World Cup match), and then took me out to a place for traditional Ethiopian dancing and music. Daniel is also very honest and trustworthy - get his help with arrangements for tour guides, etc. if you have the opportunity to visit Lalibela be sure to do so, and be sure to stay at the Maribela - you won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo