“Best in the area”
Review of Maribela Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Maribela Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lalibela
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Best hotel in Lalibela. The owner Mikias and receptionist Daniel are extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean, spacious, and high-ceilings. The wi-fi works and the breakfast is good. The hotel location is convenient to the 11 rock-hewn churches and other restaurants.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank TiffBW

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Hotel Maribela will easily become the best hotel in Lalibela once it has the finishing touches. Still to come is a restaurant (although they serve a delicious breakfast and have coffee ceremonies whenever you would like), refrigerators in the rooms, and televisions in the rooms. You really do not need a tv - the scenery is enough! The hotel staff were very accommodating and made sure I was always comfortable, even offering to walk me to nearby restaurants and accompanying me to an atm (the credit card machines were not working). The room I stayed in was clean, the wi-fi was fine, and the terrace is absolutely perfect for sundown drinks, morning yoga, and any other relaxation you need. I also appreciated that the staff did not ask for or hint at donations or excessive tipping, which happened at some restaurants and on some tours. Also, the furniture is beautiful :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jenniferhellmuth
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I highly recommend the Maribela Hotel in Lalibela. It was recently constructed and the rooms are very clean and delightfully decorated using traditional fabrics. The carvings on the bed posts are gorgeous, as is the view from the room's private balcony. Bathrooms are modern and have their own hot water heaters. Decent wifi. Breakfast is tasty and cooked to order. (Tea comes with delicious local raw honey, and a traditional coffee ceremony is available to guests in the courtyard). As other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel restaurant is not open yet, but the hotel is within walking distance of the town's most unique restaurant, Ben Abeba. Definitely have dinner there and enjoy the architecture and views!

The location is convenient to town and is within walking distance (or a short tuk-tuk ride) to the churches. Airport shuttles are easily arranged and cost 70 birr.

It is a new hotel, so there are a few kinks to work out, such as timely provision of dry towels, bottled water, and toilet rolls. Yet, it's not difficult to ask for these things if they're absent, and all of the hotel staff I met were so kind and helpful. The lovely views and décor make this hotel the place to stay in Lalibela.

Room Tip: They're all great and have private balconies overlooking the valley.
2  Thank lenivtsa
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I visited Lalibela a few months ago and we’ve never written a review on this website, but we felt that we should share how much we enjoyed our stay at this new and well managed little hotel.
The staff cared for us as if we were family, Gashaw in particular is a kind and generous young lad and went out of his way to help my wife when she fell sick (it was a tiring trip!).
Our room looked onto a really majestic view (check out the photos) framed with a wide variety of assorted colourful flowers and climbers on our private terrace walls. You can see for miles and miles ahead. We had a wonderful traditional solid wood four poster bed, the receptionists told us that the patterns were especially crafted to match the flora of the surrounding countryside.
Maribela is newly opened, and some of the facilities, a restaurant and terrace are still planned, the rooms were also not fully furnished, but we felt perfectly comfortable. It felt very spacious, and the rooms were meticulously clean with broad sinks in the bathroom. Breakfast was included in the room price (standard continental fare) and served at the reception café.
Maribela is on the street with a number of other new hotels – we tried out Ben Ababa restaurant and Mountainview for dinner. It has a wonderful little garden on the street where we were able to sit and meet our guide (the hotel organized our guide when we booked our room. He picked us up at the airport). It has a mix of young and old trees, and like the hotel will only get better as it matures.

Room Tip: Ask for a Master Suite (same size but nicer beds!)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gigi T
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel was wonderful: everyone was very friendly, and the views are amazing! The restaurant is coming, so we didn't eat here, but we were shown where it would be and how the library would be situated. I cannot recommend this place more highly--coffee ceremony on arrival, too!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank rwilkins07
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for just a night - wish it could have been longer - but was highly impressed by the rooms and staff. Brand new, very well decorated, spotlessly clean rooms. Comfortable beds and pillows. AMAZING room views/balconies. Great pressure/hot water showers. Friendly and helpful staff. Felt completely safe as a sole female traveler. Delicious "free" breakfast. Within walking distance to the churches and very close to some good restaurants and shopping. Hotel restaurant was not yet open, but it looks like it will be nice. Would highly recommend this hotel. Definitely the best hotel I have stayed at in a long time.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the mountain/valley, so you can't go wrong with the view. The ones above the...
1  Thank unhappy_guest955
Mikias G, Manager at Maribela Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Mikias Getahun 2014, General Manager at Hotel Maribela, Lalibela Ethiopia, responded to this review

Dear Sir /Madam,

Thank you very much for making the Hotel Maribela your hotel of choice on your recent visit to Lalibela, for the five star rating and for the time you took to share with us this very positive comment here on Trip advisor.
I am very happy to read that your stay with us was satisfactory and the comfort of our rooms, complimentary Wi-Fi internet, view from our balcony, friendliness, You impressed by the rooms and my staff. With a Brand new room, and our very well decorated, spotlessly clean rooms. Comfortable beds and staff were all to your liking
I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Should you have the chance kindly find us on Facebook to have updated information about the hotel.

Many thanks again and Kind Regards
Mikias Getahun

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a brand new place. While I stayed here, the kitchen has not finished. But it doesn't impedes them to provide great services. They are nice enough to give me special rate as I am working for international development agencies, including free airport shuttle.

The room itself is culturally decorated and really clean, I guess they clean the room more than once per day. It has a nice balcony, very excellent view towards the mountain. (I would never imagine a my balcony view could be so great). Their bathroom is fancy, equipped with even hair dyer.

The best part is their staff. Always ready to service and provide help. Daniel was especially helpful and friendly. He talked around and showed us places with good views. We become friends at the end of my stay.

I cannot think of any drawbacks. If I really need to say, the town often has power cut, so in that case the hotel's power and internet supply would be affected.

Room Tip: All the room seem get great view
2  Thank sharpwhimsy

Dear Sir /Madam,

I am very happy to read that your stay with us was satisfactory and the comfort of our rooms, complimentary Wi-Fi internet, view from our balcony, friendliness of our staff were all to your liking
I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Many thanks again and Kind Regards
Mikias Getahun

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
Tukul Village
Top Twelve Hotel - Lalibela
Sora Lodge Lalibela
Sora Lodge Lalibela
#1 of 14 in Lalibela

Been to Maribela Hotel? Share your experiences!