“Here is a load of fun and interest”
Review of Seven Olives Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lalibela
Seven Olives Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Lalibela
Kent
“Here is a load of fun and interest”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is an oldish building and it is on the edge of the village but near to things of interest. It is a different standard to modern European hotels but is exciting and African. I loved it and in the evenings there was tribal dancing laid on outside. The rooms are secure and each with its own attached shower room. The plumbing and wiring are a bit dip-dap and my loo didn't flush as there were components missing but I got by with a bucket of water for flushing and my shower ran nice and hot. The owner when I was there was a wonderful flamboyant character called Messfin but he may have gone to a new venture in the mountains. The food and service were exemplary and the double bed comfy. Lovely wild life. I got my shoes cleaned at the gates sitting on a chair as one used to do at Waterloo station - don't miss this.

Room Tip: All rooms are fairly similar on the ground floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Worriedteenager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The standout feature of the Seven Olives is the food! While it wasn't the only place I found without hot water during my visit to Ethiopia, bathing here was particularly difficult... Lalilbela gets cold at night!
The bed is comfortable and the staff are pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jmack_8819
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is a lovely, quiet oasis with jacaranda and other trees hosting a delightful variety of bird species. If you enjoy nature, this is a wonderful place to eat. The food was mixed; my son had the toughest chicken ever, but the setting was marvelous and a restful place to rest and watch the bird life. We ate here but did not sleep here.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NellieN57
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Watch out for the ammount of food you order, the hotel restaurant serves the biggest portions I've seen in Ethiopia (eg: Tte fasting food set is good for 3 people!). Everything was delicious, it was worth the 40 minute walk from the place we were staying :)

Room Tip: I was only at the restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MariaCNeves
Szczecin, Poland
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We didn't stay overnight at this hotel, but visited one evening to have a traditional Ethiopian coffee on the tarrace and watch the sunset... This was the best coffee I have drunk and the view was astonishing. No we regret spending so little time there. Service and landscapes seen from this hotel was perfect.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Barry_O999
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I just got back from my second trip to Ethiopia and I wish to God I'd read the reviews on here before i returned to the Seven Olives, which is now an utter mess -- last year, however, it was terrific. The new management are total thugs -- all of the sweet charms and the people I met there last year (which is why I went back in the first place) is gone. When I got back my friend sent me a list from an article on Glittersnipe that mentioned where the old manager is working and though I couldn't have afforded his new place I so wish I knew where he was -- his name was Mesflin (or something similar) -- just to say hi -- the new people pretended like they'd never heard of them - and Daniel who organized my trips last year wasn't there either. To be honest, the water was no better than it was last year but it's their nasty response to my querries about when the hot water would come back only told me that I'll certainly never be back. Oh, and the touts are crawling all over the place and when I complained at the front desk one of them showed up -- and pulled up a chair -- behind the desk! They're all in cohoots now. If you have the money go read that article about Lalibela on Glittersnipe and stay at Mesfin's place -- there's a newer and cooler tej bet that's not mentioned in the article but I can't remember the -- just ask your hotel about the one that's not Torpedo (even though that place is fine)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Alma M

Travellers are raving about these Lalibela hotels

Addis Ababa
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Seven Olives is at the top of the hill on the main road in Lalibela. It is surrounded by established trees and there is plenty of bird life to enjoy. Hot water works intermittently at best. The food is nothing special and the drinks were expensive from memory, compared with everywhere else in Lalibela. The waiter was friendly enough but not exactly attentive.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends