Kairaba Beach Hotel
US$72
  • Breakfast included
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsdeluxe roomhappy hourgambia experiencecasa fernandogarden roomhalf boardpool bargardens are beautifulmonitor lizardssecurity staffbars and restaurantscraft marketa bit tirednew managementafrican queenarch toursexchange rate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here in april 2014 and booked on a B&B basis which was the best option as it allowed us to get out and about and try the many restaurants on the strip which is just outside the hotel, The breakfast was very good indeed with a mix of continental, hot english breakfasts with pancakes and eggs cooked to order, Plenty of fresh fruit and fruit juices with the choice of dining out on the terrace or inside the restaurant,
We booked our stay with Thomas Cook which was for a standard room near to the carpark and reception with limited views .After advice from TA members we contacted the hotel prior to our arrival to request a room upgrade and were allocated a delux room which was in the garden area with views of the garden and sea. The up grade cost us £20 per room per night so £280 for the whole stay which was worth the additional cost, We stayed in room 722 which had been refurbished and offered a good standard of comfort, great views, free safe, tea and coffee making facilities, bath robes, flat screen tv, a fridge that actually kept things cold and it was kept spotlessly clean by the maid
We were in the Gambia for the birding and what a great hotel to stay as we recorded 60 species in and around the hotel which is bird friendly providing water pots all around the hotel and food in the form of flowering plants and fruiting trees. Birds viewed from our room were fantastic with egret, starlings, sun birds, robin chats 4 spices of pigeon along with hooded and palm nut vultures and yellow billed kites.

We spent a couple of rest days at the pool which was fine and has a policy of not allowing anyone to reserve sunbeds by placing towels on the beds and also doesn't play any loud music. The pool also provided another great birding site with Rollers, Bee eaters and swallows hawking over the pool. The pool has a restaurant which serves lunch in the form of a snack menu of sandwiches, salads, pizza and pasta. It also serves a buffet evening meal of persons on half board we had a look at the buffet and it looked very good for the price.
The Hotel has another couple of restaurants the Casa Fernando's which we had 2 evening meals in and the food was good with local entertainment also the fine dining restaurant the Shikra which we ate in a couple of times and experienced the best meals and service we had anywhere in the Gambia, This was fine dining at its best and the cost was very good at around £25 per head for soup, starter, main and desert, The outstanding dish was the Lobster broth served with seafood sausage which was rich and full of flavour. Unfortunately we didn't dine in this restaurant until nearly the end of the holiday, next time we will be using it more often.
The outstanding feature of the hotel is its gardens which are maintained by a team of 15 gardeners who take so much pride and care in its upkeep. The hotel also has a small gym and spar along with a money exchange facility.
During our stay we spent most of our days out bird watching with Modou Colley who is the President of the Gambia bird guides association who treated us to some excellent bird sightings and i would highly recommend his services he made the holiday and can be contacted at mcolley99@yahoo.com.
This was our first visit to The Gambia and will not by our last

Room Tip: 722 on the first floor and is one of the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

i enjoyed my stay for 2 nights only in this resort, the hotel can be described as small Nature reserve, you will enjoy the sounds of birds and playing with monkeys.the breakfast was great espcially the salmon fish and the traditional drink.the stuff is very helpfull.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The Kairaba is a large hotel spread out amongst well maintained gardens in a location which offers the chance to see some Gambian life as the street outside has many bars and restaurants. Unlike some hotels in The Gambia which are miles from anything those on a B & B basis will find plenty of choice. The standard rooms are OK but should not be compared to a European star rated room, the food was plentiful and varied and the staff were helpful and polite most of the time. Prices in the hotel for water, beer and other consumables are high so just nip out to the local shop (less than 100m from the hotel) and stock up there.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Have just come back from a relaxing week in Gambia . I desperately needed some sun and rest and this trip ticked all the boxes . I have been to The Gambia before but not to this hotel which I found comfortable and friendly - my room was clean and the maid came in every day although I felt that the furnishings and decoration were a little tired and the hotel could really do with a bit of a make over !
One tip that people intending to visit might remember is that Gambia dies not accept MasterCard only Visa , even in ATMs . The best thing to do is to take and pay with cash everywhere- the exchange rate for sterling into Dalasi is great and very much in our favour and makes the holiday incredibly cheap .
I went with Gambia Experience which was fine except I would suggest that if you re booking , only go for B&B . I took the Bon Appetit option which gave me four evening meals at the buffet by the pool . I paid £15 per meal . On arriving and after several evenings I did not want yo keep having the buffet and asked if I might use the voucher in the other two restaurants in the hotel and pay an extra . I was told that this was ok but on receiving my bill in the a la carte restaurant I was only allowed half the value of my voucher - in other words I lost £15 on two meals and presume that this was Gambia Experiences gain !
The hotel and grounds were well kept , the staff warm and friendly however the hotel was let down by the in house "spa" I say this loosely as it was like no other spa I had ever visited, very basic, the treatment couches being all in one room separated only by a curtain . No ambiance, candles, no feeling of being pampered and the person behind the desk did not seem to know what she was doing . As this business was a separate concern to the hotel I felt it really let the hotel down and I did go and give some suggestions to make it more appealing to the owner . The therapists spent more time wandering around the pool area looking bored and repeatedly asking people if they wanted a treatment . So irritating and enough yo put anyone off - very unprofessional !
All that aside , as I said at the beginning of thus review , the hotel and staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and I am dude I shall return !

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the gardens - de luxe and definitely not one near reception - very noisy . Must also point out that the beach is not very good in front of hotel due to bad erosion . Hopefully thus will be rectified by the time I go again !
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We have visited many times over the last 7/8 years and continue to love the gardens and the location. Its not a European 5 star standard hotel by any means. The rooms are slowly being improved with new air con units, new TV's and painting taking place.
The breakfast is fine but in comparison to other hotels around the world it is a box standard offering with nothing exceptional about the food or choice. The beach is great but the erosion is getting worse and worse each year and they are going to have to undertake significant work to get it back to where it was even 7 years ago.

The gardens are beautiful with peacocks roaming the grounds, a plethora of birds and of course the annoying monkeys in attendance in the morning and late afternoon - do not leave your bags unattended as the monkeys will go through your stuff looking for food!

The staff in particular the gardeners and Bafoday who runs the beach and garden loungers are excellent!

The location is excellent as its right on the beach ( with its own private beach area) and its a 3 minute walk to the start of the strip where a number of average to very good restaurants and bars are located. Don’t spend all your time hiding in the hotel and try Green Mamba for drinks and Scala, Love 2, GTS and Kora for good food!

If you want to change currency would recommend you don’t use the bank or the bank ATM but the second western Union on the strip just up from the hotel on the right- they are honest and count out the money in front of you - we have never had an issue with this exchange bureau

There are a couple of small "supermarkets" within 3 min walk of the hotel where you can purchase water, soft drinks etc

We always stay here because of the location, beach and gardens!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple