“Superb grounds, friendly staff, lovely locals was worth every penny!!”

Senegambia Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Went with my boyfriend in Jan to avoid the winter blues, we both had a lovely time lazying about in the sun. Going on sight seeing, and the usual hols stuff. Plenty of fresh sea food, pizza and we had the most amazing full english breakfast in Flame Grill!! The grounds in senegambia are immaculate, lost of birds for cheeky monkeys around. I wouldn't advise you have a meal at the hotel as it quite pricey come out and there's loads of local restaurants for the same quality food but for less. Loads of sport bars/pool tables, live bands, and HOT sun!! Overall we had an amazing experience and will happily go back there. Ensure you have a massage, not pricey @ all, I WILL ADVISE YOU SECURE A PLACE @ THE POOL FIRST THING IN THE MORNING AS THE GERMANS TEND TO GRAB THE BEST SPOTS AND love sun bathing with their bikini tops off eeeewwww!! The apartments are great, and the AC works efficiently, FUN EXPERIENCE WELL WORTH IT

Room Tip: Get chatty with the locals, they more than happy to show you around as long as you willing to chater...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna W
There are newer reviews for Senegambia Beach Hotel

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Stayed here in March 12. for one week Probably the best hotel in the strip. Hotel grounds well maintained and beautiful birds and the monkeys wandering around was a high-light.
The rooms are in need of decorating and generally in need of updating but were satisfactory and the bed was so comfy and the air con is welcomed. For how long you stay in the room it was adequate ! The breakfasts were delicious everything you could possibly need.
We ate out in the the evenings lovely restaurants and so cheap.
Do get out on a trip and book with Arch Tours the were superb and our guides were fabulous what an experience we will never forget Such wonderful lovely people The gambians are a delight and so friendly . Also vulture feeding spectacle within the hotel grounds was very good.
You will not be disappointed with this wonderful hotel in a friendly country.

Room Tip: Our room was near the pool and beach which was perfect and quite peaceful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BEACH.G
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Stayed at the Senegambia for two week in April. The hotel is basic but very clean, The ground were supurb and very tidy credit to the staff. Down by the beach bar nice food staff again very helpfull, Dont get put of by the local bumpster they are not that bad just a firm NO THANKS and they will not bother you. Do try the local bars etc they are great. Eating out on the strip is less than half the price of the hotel. The only thing that spoilt our holiday was the bucket plane Thoms Cook used why do they use a short haul aircraft on a long haul holiday?. Come on Thomas Cook get it right and this will become a very good value for money destination. We enjoyed the hotel so much we have rebooked again for next year. Sorry to say but with Thomas Cook again. Mike from Aberdare Wales.

Room Tip: Take sterling you will get a much better rate.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Stayed here 2 weeks for work and was placed in a room in the main building. Live bands every night made it impossible to sleep properly. When I asked to be moved to a quieter spot so I could get some rest before a days work, management showed no understanding even if there were tons of available rooms. Clearly trying to save costs during the low season. They had 2 huge concerts at the premisses hosting 4000 guests or something. No notification at the time of booking, just a slip of paper under the door a few days prior. The noise was unbearable and it lasted until 0500 - no compensation or apologies from the hotel. Breakfast was very basic with no variation - again saving costs during low season. My roof leaked several places, cracks on the walls letting mosquitoes in, shower broke down as well as the air conditioner. On the positive side: great location, beautiful premises and gardens. Very friendly staff and excellent house keeping. If you can get a room in the garden area, away from the lobby and main building - this would probably lead to a completely different experience than the one I had. Shame on the management for so very obviously cutting down on costs on the expense of the guests. The other hotels in the area were not.

Room Tip: Get away from the main building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank Pete_Maria
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have been to The Gambia 7 times and The Senegambia Beach hotel is one of the best i have stayed in...more of a 4* than a 3* in my opinion!
The high light of my holiday was the monkeys around the hotel grounds..they even came and sat on our balcony for a photo shoot for a bag of nuts..:o)
Kololi is a great resort that has everything with in easy walking distance of The Senegambia..nice restaurants..especially the Chinese "Jade" food is gorgeous..we ate there twice during our week stay..the hotel has its own sandy beach and the beds/shades are free..the man in charge of the beds is very friendly and helpful..it was unusualy windy for the time of year so the sea was abit chilly and we needed a fleece on at night but the sun was still hot in the day time!
Make sure you treat yourself to a foot/head massage with the ladies on the beach..about £4 for a half hour massage..we had alot of laughs as well as lovely massages!
Not too much hastle this time..just say you'v been a few times and the bumsters tend to leave you alone knowing that you have heard it all before..just be polite but firm and keep walking!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank snugz88
Reviewed 1 May 2012

my husband and I have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Senagambia, Prior to the stay I emailed to request a room with a good patio as we enjoy relaxing and having a drink in the late afternoon and this request was met. The room had a nice big patio area and we could watch the monkeys and vultures in the late afternoon. The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was very clean. We thought the beds were comfy and very big, the towels and sheets were changed every 3 days and when we asked for additional pillows this was no trouble. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed B&B and the breakfast was plentyful and there was a good choice. we took our own kettle which was a good idea and with a small fridge in the room we were able to store milk and drinks. there are 2 pools we preferred the quiet one near to reception and had regular visits from monkeys so dont leave anything hanging around. we ate a few lunches these were adequate and cheap, but we ate out every night, SCARLAS was our favorite we both recommend the chateau briane it was one of the best we had ever eaten. We will be returning and have recommended the hotel to friends. Some residents had trouble with hot water but the hotel soon remeded this. I can honestly say in my opinion this is a good Gambian hotel and the grounds were lovely, so go you will not be disapointed.

Room Tip: best blocks and rooms were I, J and K.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank 504202Sunlover
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Gambia is a great short break holiday destination with a perfect sunny climate and a relaxing atmosphere just six hours away from the UK. My wife and I have stayed at The Senegambia Beach Hotel three times now and I first reviewed it in March 2010. At the time I made comments about the lack of hot water in some rooms and that is still the case as on all three occasions we have changed rooms for this reason. This is not an uncommon story. The rooms are in blocks of 16 and are a bit basic. The blocks where we had trouble were I, J & K.

However, this hotel is in a great location and has large well-kept grounds. Things are changing and a lot of building work is going on in the area but not near enough to the hotel to be a problem. If you get a room with hot water or you can put up with having to hassle of arguing to change rooms, as we have done, then the good aspects outweigh the bad.

Breakfasts and lunch time snacks by the pool are really good. We have never eaten an evening meal at the hotel because there are so many restaurants outside on “the strip”.

Avoid eating at the Voodoo bar on the beach by the entrance to the monkey park. I thought the fish I had for lunch on our last day was a bit “off” but I still eat it, a silly thing to do. I paid the price and was ill for 7 days.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Steve M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kairaba Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
Kombo Beach Hotel
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!