“Very nice & a reasonable price”

Senegambia Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Serekunda
Reviewed 2 May 2014

First time in The Ganbia I went to this hotel, together with my wife, I must say, they really do their utmost to make your vacation memorable.
We stayed at the hotel with only bed & breakfast which was more than OK.
It's rooms are stretched out in the big green garden devided over several building blocks.
Whe where all the way at the top of the hill, near the main building/enterance of the hotel.
For lunch, you have snacks etc in the hotel and some venues around the hotel.
For dinner I can recommend African Queen on the Senegambia road not to far from the hotel.(walking distance)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Firstly I need to say I'm not a 5star Hilton kind of person so this is all you need to know through my eyes. First of all deal with the medical stuff....yellow fever a must! It can be in short supply and costs approx 65-80 for the injection. It took me months to find some. Secondly malaria tablets, again about the same cost again. Ok now to the real questions I had before I went.....

The Senegambia beach hotel is perfectly located at the end of the strip where you will find bars, restaurants and clubs but don't worry the clubs are at the opposite end of the strip so it's very peaceful in and around the hotel! We stayed in kaloli 1 (deluxe apart). 2 rooms (approx12x20 ft each) bathroom in the middle. Each room had a large flat screen, separate a/c and in the middle was a walk in wet room ( shower only). Breakfast was fine.....plenty of breads, preserves, coffee and teas. Sausages, bacon, omelettes, pan cakes, waffles etc available on alternate days. I didn't go there for a full fry up!!!! Lol. Green velvet and colobus Monkeys in the grounds that are friendly and can be hand fed monkey nuts funny enough. Monitor lizards, vultures, black kites just a few of the other wild life wondering about. The Vice President had a garden party here.....it will be a 5 star next year. Don't go all inclusive though.
Money....we went in April 2014 and the exchange rate was £1 to 65 delasi. A beer will cost 40-60 delasi a bottle on the strip (Jul brew tastes like peroni) and double in the hotel. Lunch....Chico chicken 6 wings with a sauce and chips 130 delasi. Lovely 2 chicken skewer kebab with flat bread 180 delasi at little Havana ( our favourite place to have lunch and spend 1-3pm) get the picture? It's cheap!!!!!!! Two restaurants you must look up on day 1.......Scala and Kori. Both serve exceptional food and offer a very friendly atmosphere. We spent 1 week wondering about before being pointing in their direction as their not easy to see......but by heck are they good. Come out of the Senegambia hotel and walk straight up the strip to the taxi garage on the right after which is a road. Walk down that road about 100 metres past Wild Monkey and they are opposite each other. Kori has a good pool table away from the dining area. At the end of the road is the monkey park.
Trips......we did our own. Go to the taxi rank and ask for Ensa Saidy or Aladin ( tell them mit recommended them as this seemed to give our friends better rates?) They can take you on 95% of the trips for half the cost and all importantly on your time sclae. Spend as much time wherever you like. You hire them for a half day or full day.....that's for the car, fuel and their guide skills. They are good! King tiger prawns (10 inches long approx) 3 butterflied open for a bout £11 at Olivia's....right outside the hotel on the right.
I've travelled the world and rarely do I get drawn to going back to the same place twice but.......I'm planning to go again very soon.

P.s they get paid about 500 delasi a week......so tipping is essential ( if you want to be looked after?) I never once struggled to get a table on the balcony at Scala .....even though a lot of penny pinchers seemed to. As a rule 10% in the restaurants and in the bars see how you feel when you get your bill. I must admit i would tend to leave about 300-400 in my two favourite fooderies! Only to find out my partner had done the same.....lol 2 adults 2 boys (10&12) I spent £800 incl trips over 14 days.

Room Tip: Deluxe apartments.....a must.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Sally W
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here in April for 1 week upon arriving at the front desk the staff were helpful and polite, before I travel I request a room without twin bed by email to the front desk manager and when I arrived I was given a room with a queen size bed the room was clean and fresh and very cosy, we stayed on the G block G23 our house keeper clean the room every day. The workers on the hotel ground is very polite not to mention the pool attendant at the rear pool as u arrive they offer u a sun bed and cushion without delay. We stay on bed & breakfast basic the breakfast selection is great but it's really cheap to eat out it cost less than £10 for my partner and I to eat out and I highly recommend you eat at the restaurant called Chilli's located outside the hotel 2 minutes walk. As for the night life it's nice loads of bars and clubs for u to enjoy only walking distance from the hotel, also the hotel got its own beach and monkeys living in the trees they also got bird watching, for those who are planing to go there please go and get your own experience. Senegambia beach hotel make my first trip to Africa The Gambia a success, I am returning for Xmas god spare my life. To the staff stay polite and take care from the couple who stayed in room G 23 from April 14 to April 21 (smile)

Room Tip: G block was quite don't worry about a/c making noise they come ASAP to fix it G block was near t...
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel before a couple of years ago but in November time.
This year we went in April. The hotel is set in sprawling mature gardens and excellent for birdlife. The hotel is convenient for the town and bars/restaurants too.
We stayed on a B&B basis and the breakfast has a good selection of hot and cold food and a small offering of local food too. When choosing an outside table beware of the thieving Egrets who sit and wait for an opportunity to steal your breakfast and fly off. :o)
The rooms are kept clean but some accommodation is in need of updating. They are currently building new blocks.
You have a choice of two pools, one near the beach which has its own restaurant and bar and then there is a quiet pool up near the main building again with its own bar which serves food.
All staff are very friendly and helpful.
We also enjoyed the facility of the spa on site which proved to be well worth the money.
We like birdwatching and this hotel has a bird guide on site. Modu, senior bird guide is very good and offers excellent trips in the area to ensure you see a good variety of birds. Certainly recommend his trips.
There are a number of restaurants/bars to choose from within the small town and all food we found to be good and tasty.
Overall a very good weeks holiday.

Room Tip: We were allocated H23 which is situation on the upper floor and overlooked a green area. Very handy...
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Africa and The Gambia is probably an ideal introduction. The hotel is three star but many unusual features to enhance your holiday. Monkeys are living in the trees and there are many species of birds to see they also feed vultures each day and tourist cone with guides from other hotel to watch this. The hotel is practically on the beach however the beach either side of the hotel is much nicer looking.
Remember to tip the staff at the end if your stay as people are on very low wages and your tips are vital for the rainy season when no tourist visit. Give British paper money or Gambian Delassi.
Eating out: we did not have a bad meal we ate fish and sea food which is fresh from the sea and sold in abundance. We ate at African Queen, lovely food great atmosphere. The Bad Rock cafe where much football was watched with the locals , same at Club One. The Monkey bar has great food and we saw good African dance and music there too. The man at 2 Rays sorted out our SIM card at the market whilst we ate. Everyone is very helpful.
Trips: we went with Bushwacker Tours on the lazy days boat trip along the Mangroves which was my favourite day of the holiday. Having a guide also helped in adjusting to The Gambia as I had until then been in a bit of culture shock . Zach our guide was extremely knowledgable about the birds seen on the trip and we were provided with delicious food and helpful crew. We fished and swam in the river. We heard from other holiday makers who used other companies also had a good time so take a tour. Most tourist use local guides and and we found our trip to market and paradise beach with local taxi very helpful. Costs are very reasonable, negotiate before you get into the taxi the price which includes return journey.
Buying and haggling: this caused me the most grief. We were there at the end of the season and people really want you to buy there stuff. They say its free to look around but you need to be pretty firm to look and not buy. Once you have decided what you would like decide on a fair price you are happy to pay and go with that. You probably pay more than a local would but people have worked hard making a living. Other people asking for change you can't give to everyone I decided if giving change I have it to people with a disability as there is no welfare state.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and resort but get out and about to really enjoy your stay as everyday is an experience.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank holidaysharon
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This was our first trip to The Gambia. We are definitely planning a return trip. We chose The Senegambia because of the large grounds and the bird life. Our room was one of the older type - top floor and absolutely fine. The only drawback was the people below who persistently smoked in their bathroom - the smoke came straight out of our extractor every time we went into the bathroom. We reported it twice but with no effect.
Apart from this it would be hard to find fault with the hotel. The food was good, the pool by the beach was great, the staff were excellent.
If you like birds, take the bird walk is a must. The monkeys are fun too, and the vultures are...Vultures!
Our rep Jatta was also helpful in recommending trips. South Gambia was superb!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach are quieter. Top floor is quietest, apart from our experience with illegal sm...
1  Thank banham-canary
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have stayed in the Senegambia beach hotel on many occasions but on this occasion we were unable to get the rooms for the dates we required. We took our sponsor family to the pool for the day paying for this. Our eldest sponsor child aged 4 hurt his finger whilst playing in the pool he was screaming very loudly, no staff member came to enquire why he was screaming. We took him to the nurse within the hotel, she told us she had nothing to help him even although he was still screaming in pain. She was extremely unhelpful. We left the hotel and went to the local pharmacy who assisted us and stopped the wee boys pain.
The following day whilst visiting the hotel again we observed a young white boy hurt his foot in the pool, this time there was no shortage of first aiders running to the boy and his family to assist in every way they could.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank jayg98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Kombo Beach Hotel
1 mi away
smartline Palma Rima
smartline Palma Rima
#4 of 10 in Kololi

Been to Senegambia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!