Senegambia Beach Hotel
US$99
  • Pool
Boboi Beach Lodge(Kololi)(Great Value!)
US$32
Jumia Travel
  • Beachfront
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
1,369 results
All reviewsvulture feedingquiet poolair conafrican queengreen mambarefurbished roomarch toursswim up barthomas cooksenegambia beachrooms are basictennis courtsmonitor lizardssmall fridgetravel kettlepizza restaurantexchange rate
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have been to Africa many times before so I don't expect too much from any hotel in Gambia. However I have never been to a hotel anywhere throughout the world that gives you a Pool towel when you arrive and then wont 'EXCHANGE' that pool towel without charging for a replacement when it gets dirty ...... That I'm afraid is just not on.
The staff here are in general only too pleased to help, however I really do believe that the problem at this hotel stems from the management who appear to not want to give any kind of true quality. The food at the pool bar is not good at all and frankly you will get a far better meal at nearly half the price outside the hotel on the strip. The pool area was dirty and the bird droppings weren't hosed down in this area in the week that I was there. The rooms are very dark and are in desparate need of refurbishing. No plug in sink, Shower curtain didnt fit, Hot water was a copper brown colour, general smell of mustiness in my room. The good things were: Bed was comfortable, Cold water wasn't copper brown colour, Room service DID change room towels every day, The Hotel only charged 115 Dalases per hour (about £2) to keep the room until I went home . I had a good weeks holiday but that really wasn't any thanks to the poor quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank dustbin100
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I first booked this holiday after having to many beers!
Didn't know what to expect as an 18 year old.
Reading other people's reviews basically saying its not relaxing because of locals ect... what do you expect it's third world in gambia.plus senegambia hotel is in the heart of the strip
I learnt if you treat the staff and locals with respect you get the same In return.
The apartment was clean fresh bedding every 2 days on 1 occasion the house keeper covered my bed in flowers as a gratitude of kindness. The food and restaurant is basic but tasty! never had to ask for a re-fill of drinks. Loads of restaurants just outside the entrance. Entertainment was fun and they tried to get everyone going. Loved the cocktails at a cheap price. However would say if your young and want to party etc.. this isn't the place for you Not much party life in the resort.beware of the monkeys they loved playing chase with me aha. I would recommend excursions to see exactly how the gambians live was a real eye opener for me! If Your someone who dosent like change from home wouldn't recommend you going! May have a shock however I would love to return one day :)

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank gambia2010
Reviewed 20 May 2014

All the previous reviews with regards to the hotel, rooms and breakfast are pretty spot on, so I won't bore you by being repetitive.

But I felt it only fair to warn others (especially women) about our experience as two women travelling without partners.

Firstly let me start by saying that my friend and I were there for no other reason than to have a relaxing girls holiday. I'm well aware that a lot of western women (and men) travel to Africa for more than a bit of sun, but not us. All we wanted was a relatively cheap holiday, some warm weather and a bit of culture.

This holiday was far from relaxing and we definitely got more than we bargained for.

From the moment you step off the plane at Banjul you are pestered for your cash in one way or another. If it's not your money they want, then it's sex and a passport to the UK.

If it happened only outside the grounds of the hotel we could have dealt with that, as the hotel would have been our haven. But hell no, some of the hotel staff were amongst the worst culprits. I was hounded by one individual who would constantly knock on my door and stand outside calling if I dared to leave the door ajar. He left gifts outside my room and when I made it clear I wasn't interested his attitude left a lot to be desired. I then spent the remainder of my holiday trying to avoid him in the grounds of the hotel.

By nature I'm usually a friendly and chatty person, by the end of our week I'd taken to ignoring people (who would still follow us anyway) and eventually swearing at them when I could no longer take the constant hounding.

Our saviour was Ceesay, a taxi driver who we'd been given by the Control when we booked a car for the day. He really looked after us and was the first person we'd met who was genuinely interested in us as people, not potential cash cows or walking visas! He listened to what we wanted, advised us and made sure we were safe. We booked him again and on each occasion tipped, he was so grateful that he invited us to his family home for supper. He was a real star and a true gentleman.

Meeting people like Ceesay meant our holiday wasn't a total disaster. We experienced some amazing, weird and wonderful things. But unfortunately the positives were marred by the huge amount of negatives.

Also if you're on a budget remember to allow £15-£25 per day for tips minimum. Everyone expects to be tipped, whether it be for wheeling your case from one side of the lobby to the other, providing exceptionally poor service or simply being an unnecessary extra in a guided tours entourage. They all want tipping. Yes I know Africa is a poor country, but wouldn't their economy be all the more poorer without their tourist industry and our custom? Would we accept this kind of overzealous expectant behaviour back home? I noticed on exiting the coach at the airport not one person tipped the driver (as we'd been instructed to) so perhaps I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I wouldn't go back to this area of Africa unless I was travelling with a man. I think it's incredibly sad that a woman travelling alone should be made to feel unsafe and uncomfortable in an area that supposedly caters for tourists.

Would I recommend this holiday destination to friends? I have to be honest and say no.

And for the record don't bother with the 'highly recommended' vaccination for Yellow Fever. On various government websites they warn you that without the vaccination you will either be refused entry into The Gambia or back into the UK. So after my friend and I nearly had heart failure trying to locate the elusive Yellow Fever vaccination I parted with nearly £200 after opting for Yellow Fever, Meningitis, Hep A, Polio, Tetanus and anti-Malaria tablets, as advised. But not once on arrival or departure was I asked to produce the coveted Yellow Fever certificate. So read that as you will.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank babykong
Reviewed 13 May 2014

First visit to Gambia and we were pleasantly surprised. This is Africa so don't expect these 4 stars mean the same luxury as in other more developed parts of the world. The good; The hotel is simple, but has a nice feel to it, rooms are spacious, with AC, breakfast buffet was a treat, staff is friendly. The bad; The beach is small and often all beds are 'taken' early in the morning with towels from senior residents...The ugly; couldn't connect to 3G and that WIFI connection is extremely slow, but then again there is WIFI and it's free. Tip; walk outside and arrange your own green taxi with a driver who can take you around all day for a fair price and it skips about four or five of those middle men.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new building when you book.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MarkdeH19
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Visited The Gambia in July 2013. Spacious room, clean sheets, warm welcome, beautiful gardens- great level of hospitality. Breakfast buffet was sumptuous and always looked forward to. Folklore singing at nights made for interesting viewership.
WIFI connection was superb.
The only shortcoming was lack of variety of TV channels to view. I guess the idea was to get guests to go out to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family