1,504 results
All reviews vulture feeding quiet pool air con african queen green mamba swim up bar arch tours refurbished room thomas cook rooms are basic black kites bars and restaurants monitor lizards exchange rate great holiday pizza restaurant beautiful birds
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I first stayed here when it had just opened, infact many parts were under construction, so to come back and see the full finished place was great.

It has to be said, that the SeneGambia really trains well thier staff,, the service is incredible. The food inside is great to.

Rooms, I agree with the other person who wrote, that you dont spend the whole day in the room looking at towels.. the rooms are actually perfect.

dont be afraid to go out in the day. I headed over to Bakau and also to Serrekunda, some great little places to eat. The Burger place opposite the US Embassy is perhaps one of the best I have ever had. Square burgers!... juicy, totally un healthly but hey, it taste great.

Would I tell people about this place? YES

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank FugglesManila
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Had a week at the Senegambia just after Easter (our first visit) and absolutely loved it. The Hotel Senegambia was everything that the reviews said. Sure the rooms are a bit basic and the bathroom towels a bit ropey, but we don't go on holiday to spend all our time in the room looking at the towels.
Staff are unfailingly courteous and extremely helpful. Special mention to Simon on security at the front gate, who let me use his phone to call our daughter back home on her birthday.
We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was excellent hot or cold food with a lot of choice. The hotel grounds and pools are excellent, a calming oasis.

Whilst there we used the services of Alex 118 (Alieu Touray) one of the official Tourist Guides. This guy is a fantastic ambassador for his country who knows everything and everybody. Wherever we went, even in small local villages they knew him. He can organise a personal itinerary for you at reasonable cost, has a fantastic sense of humour and was great company both for us and our eldest daughter and her friend who went in February. IWe cannot speak too highly of him - one great guy.

Food (and beer) in the restaurants on the Strip was excellent and reasonably priced. We ate in a different place each night and didn't have a bad meal all week..
I've worked in the travel business for over thirty years and considere myself reasonably well travelled, but never have I come across such a genuinely warm and friendly country and people. Why haven't I been before now ?,I ask myself.
Our only regret was that we didn't go for ywo weeks, which we certainly will next time

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank WakefieldWildcat
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My husband, brother and sister in law and myself have just returned from a week at this hotel. This was our 3rd trip in 6 months although the first visit for my brother and his wife. This was the final week of the season and the hotel was very quiet. if you can remember that you are in Africa you will have a great time. The people are very friendly and want to chat to you. If you are interested in fishing you speak to Elbow who is a great fishing guide. He can take you fishing from the beach or arrange a few hours out on the water - no experience necessary. The rooms are basic but have everything you need - including a fridge for those afternoon drinks.

My husband and brother were night fishing so missed dinner - no problem - put dinner on plate and it was wrapped in tin foil to be taken down onto the beach - nothing too much trouble.

Don't hesitate to go, you wil have a great time.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Clutterbuck145
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We were first time visitors to Gambia and we were unsure what to expect but we had a
great time in a very goo hotel in a great location, but the holiday was special because of the Gambian people.
Yes a lot of the rooms are basic and dated but they are clean and adequate. Apart form that it would be difficult to find fault with this hotel. It was like being on holiday in a Zoo with wild monkeys (all very tame and docile to our knowledge, but they are wild) monitor lizards (largest was 3 foot 4 inches we saw), Vultures and many, many exotic and colourful birds in large, beautifully kept tropical gardens.
Pool areas are superb and very clean, beach is clean with some licenced sellers allowed on who are friendly but not overpowering (have a laugh, dont take it seriously and you will have fun) try the juice form the juice bars as they are lovely and only #1.20 a
pint of completely fresh squeezed and blended fruit.
The front part of the beach (approx 8 feet in height) has been washed away but you can get access about 50 yards away for anyone with walking difficulties. On the beach you can Horse ride, Quad bike (only twice a day for 5 Minutes) , Full fantastic 30 years experienced massuer massage 1 hour for #12 at Seaview restuarant (turn right at beach and 100 yards walk)
Trips we did Roots and Lazy day on Gambian river with Thomas Cook (decent value and worth it, especially Roots which takes you to the location where the Slave trade started and finished, meeting Kunte kintes relatives) We befriended a hotel employee who took us to local trips for better value, personal service and local knowledge. Find someone you trust and all should be ok.
Plenty of choice on the strip, we liked Wild Monkey for food, entertainment and very friendly staff who came with us to change money, phone home and walked us back to hotel to avoid bumsters. Also Jo Jo's for quality and entertainment.
We were also invited to a compound by a hotel employee. This was an experience we wouldnt have missed. The welcome and response from the children and adults was overwhelming. Our 11 year old son played football with 35 african children who had not spoke to a white person before our visit. Truly a educating and wonderful experience certainly for us and apparently for them. If you do get invited to something similar then we would recommend you go and we offered and gave a gift to our hosts of money to buy rice for the compound.
As a guide : Beer #1.90 a pint in hotel, and #1.30 a pint on strip. Meals approx #10 a head including food on strip but slightly dearer in posher restuarants.
An experience we thoroughly enjoyed and we will no doubt return.

Date of stay: March 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank billyWirral
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Quite a nice hotel, gorgeous grounds and birdlife, pools always clean but cold, rooms not very good,, quite poky and very dated, wardrobe and hanging space awful, and no drawers except in your bedside cabinets.
If your thinking of taking long dresses, then think again, as the hanging bar is so low down that your clothes are hitting the bottom shelf, not enough hangers, so took some cheapo wire ones and left them there.
Room always kept clean, shower and bathroom always clean, but its a waste of time really, cause as soon as you shower, you are still dragging sand from the beach around with you, and your lovely clean towels are very dirty very quick, but they change them every day.
There are guards that are there all day and through the night all around your blocks, the downside is, that they want to talk to you on your balconies,(specially at night) and you cant get rid of them, so if they are talking to you, who's protecting the area?
They are all very friendly, and want to shout up to you, but you have to tell them to be quiet as some people are still asleep at 6.30-7.00 in the morning, and I like to sit out on the balcony, but again they want to chat.
Got fed up being approached every day by someone who's brother, uncle etc can give me a tour, and some kept on and on about it, or want you to meet thier family, which can get very tedious.
Now ,as to the staff, in all fantastic, lovely friendly people, work quite hard for the pittance they get, I took over loads of stuff and shared it out, as you have to realise thier wages just about covers food and rent, but not much left for toiletries and little toys for thier kids, so I handed out toothpaste/ toothbrushes/soaps/san napkins for the women, and nail polishes/lipsticks etc, plus lots of little toys for thier kids, also gave them some clothes, and they seemed to appreciate it that more, as these things are way down on thier list, as food/bills comes first.
I also bought a carton of cheapo cigs, £3 for the carton, which I handed out to some of the male staff.

The staff in breakfast are brilliant, we never had dinner there, but the ones that are there for breakfast were great, on the downside, you can wait ages for your table to be cleared.

A special thankyou to Haddy who does the eggs, very quiet little thing, but will bend over backwards to help, Yaya, the best waiter, was always on top form, didnt have to wait for him.
Cusan, and too many others to mention were very good.

The Bar at night at times were a let down, entertainment was quite good, but they seemed to have messed thier times up, they would advertise a band from say 9-10.30 PM, then have perhaps a salsa from 10.30 - 12.PM straight after, so of course I came back from being out, and no salsa, this happened a couple of times where they advertised 2 lots of entertainment and only got one.
We seemed to have got served more by the femlale waiting staff at the bar, and what lovely gals, a big thankyou to the 2 marias, and catherine, gorgeous girls.

The best for us was the pool/beach staff, fantastic guys, looked after us perfectly, a big thankyou to Yarra, smashing young man at the pool side, also Dibba, also the other beach lads

But my biggest thankyou goes to the Manager Lamin of the beach snack bar, what a gentleman, spent time talking to everyone, making sure that everyone was happy with the service, he is a very good manager, and the staff respect him, and he has it running on all cylinders.

There is one more person who definately gets the Oscar, and that is Kawchu, pronunced Cowshoe, he mainly does the beach waiting service, a big lad, with a big smile, nothing too much trouble for him, works harder than most.

Its not cheap to eat or drink at the hotel, but you can go out, and the cheapest bar we found, with big measures was, 'Yasmina's right at the end of the strip, good measures of spirits for the cheapest price, plus the staff are lovely.
Ate at Jo'jo's a few times, now that is class, perfect food everytime, perfect service everytime, and good entertainment.
I loved the Pizzas at Parrisdiso's, I had one Pizza in there, loved it so much I went an odered another to take back, I think I had pizzas there about 4 times, and on the day we were waiting for the coach to pick us up from the hotel to take us back to airport, I walked up and ordered another to take with me lol

Ali babbas not bad, reasonable prices, and again excellent staff, infact everywhere we went all the staff was excellent.

There is a few negs, but no point in writing it as I am really writing about the hotel, but you can read what I mean on my thread on the forum.

Any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple