“Ok, for the money”
Review of Sarges Hotel

Sarges Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Serekunda
Reviewed 6 February 2014

It was a good hotel for what I paid but it was very noiselessly, you could hear the drums and music until the early hours of the morning.
The staff were great even though they keep asking lots of question about me and what was I doing there.
I was there for 14 nights and even though the towels were changed every day BUT the bedding was not changed.
Breakfast was OK, if you are not fussed what you had for the time I was there I only had fruit juice and bread with cheese. If I went to order any food from the bar at least most of the stay they was out of some thing.
If the electiry went off the shower would not work. during me stay there was a problem with the water, some guests had to have a shower another room.
The other downside of this hotel is that you know who was there just for the sex tourism, it was very much in my face, which I did not like because it was meant to be a family hotel and it was not.
If this was the only hotel that had room, I would stay there again but I think I would perfused to stay at one of the other hotel in the area.
when looking at picture of this hotel it shows the rooms that you had to pay extra for, the room I stayed in was very basic.

Room Tip: pay the bit extra for the better rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank pam1404

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I can only echo, many of the points of a previous reviewer, it is very noisy late at night, clubs on until 5-6 every night, unlike the other hotels where the rooms are at the back, due to the accommodation being on the front line so to speak, you hear everything and there are a few clubs, so all the noise is mixed, but one good thing there's only one that stays open until 6 the others close at about 3 so at least you can enjoy the music and have a little dance in your room, as you certainly wont be sleeping.

The breakfast is total wash out, you wait ages whilst they clear tables in order to wash the cups so you can get one, only to find the one jar of coffee left out has finished, by the time you wait for that and get to the hot water that has also run out, so you wait again for the one member of staff on duty to bring in a boiling kettle (yes boiling kettle) of water in order to put some in the urn, this is how they fill it up, by this time there are more guest waiting than water available, so if you are at the end of the que, you have to wait for the next lot, when you finally get your coffee and its time to get some food, more often than not its run out (and I mean all run out) one morning we left with two finger size bananas, the next day nothing at all, and we always went to breakfast at about 9.15 when breakfast time is between 8-10 so we were not late.

I did complain to reception about this together with the tour rep, who after checking it sincerely apologised and said that they had ordered more cups, for the following day together with extra staff being on duty, well the next day was only slightly better the day after was the worst day of the lot.

Our room was not clean on arrival, the inside of the drawers were dirty and our bed cover was covered in blond hair, (I later found out the guest who had occupied the room before us who had left earlier in the day had blond hair) I pointed this out and it was changed, although I cleaned the drawers myself, I hired a fan from reception, and after a lot of debate I was given an adapter to use after the first suggestion of plugging out the telly every time we wanted to use the fan was rejected, however when plugged in it kept tripping out the fan/telly after having a look more closely at the adapter, the fuse had been replaced with a bit of raw wire, a real safety issue, again we trudged to reception, eventually this was all sorted and we were given a fridge in our room free of charge to try and placitate us... not

I had heard of the sex reputation of this hotel, but I am an open minded person and although not for me, everyone to their own, but this was too much in your face, and some of the things I saw was not want I really want blatantly in my face on my hols, I would have definitely moved hotels if I had brought children with me.

There was no entertainment of any sort, and certainly nothing for children, there was certainly no
Aerobics, Pool games etc as advertised by some of the tour operators.

There are some really nice staff, who are pleasant and friendly, although there are also a lot who hang around the pool area (which is very very small, with only about enough room for 10 or so sunbeds in the sunny area), most of the day in groups chatting and watching the guests, this can make you feel uncomfortable being constantly ogled at.

The hotel has potential, but is run down, and although they were putting in flat screen TV's into some of the rooms,when I was there, I would suggest that the money would be better spent in making sure rooms are clean and safe and the breakfast is of a decent edible standard, and the supply meets demand.

This was my fifth visit to the Gambia, and I will be returning, but it certainly would not be to this hotel, you may think you are getting good deal, but by the time you pay for the fridge/fan safety box (which you could carry around in a carrier bag if you wanted extra security, as its not bolted down and is really light) and breakfasts at a cafe, it would have been cheaper to have stayed at one of the nearby hotels, where much of this is included in the price.

Oh and to cap it all a big rat the size of a cat, somehow fell into the pool, early one evening, although it was not there the next morning, there was no sign of the pool being emptied or sanitised- never went in it anyway it was bl--dy freezing, if all this does not put you off I have one thing left to say - enjoy lol

Room Tip: Room Tip: Forget it none better than the rest, but if you must a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JAS456
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here the last 2 weeks in November 2013 and enjoyed my time at the hotel. I found this to be a very friendly hotel, all of the staff that I encountered were always happy to help and a couple of the reception staff even helped me by letting me use their own mobile phone to contact local people (I did give them money) . The breakfast is a tad samey (scrambled egg, bread, cheese, melon, porridge and sometime frankfurter sausage) every day but I knew this before I went.
I was in a room which had a wet room style for shower and loo and it backed onto the generator, mosque and part of the strip so I would recommend ear plugs, I hired a fan which I found more than adequate for the hot nights (A/C was too expensive). The room was cleaned every day with change of bedding every 2 days and towels every day. The hotel is perfectly situated as long as you want to be in the middle of the strip and you do get every local man trying to be your best friend, best money exchange, best man to let you know the best bars/restaurant's, best trips, etc. etc. BUT this isn't the hotels fault so be aware when you go out.
There are plenty of restaurants to choose from, go out of hotel onto main strip then turn left towards Senegambia Hotel for good but more expensive restaurants or right for less expensive ones and more bars. Average prices for beer are 50 Dalasi, Wine Bottle 600 Dalasi, small glass 100/130 Dalasi and spirits 100/120 Dalasi per 25mm (you can get cheaper local spirits) Expect to pay around £6/£7 pp for a 2 course meal or more in the more expensive restaurants, there are plenty to choose from, also have a look at the restaurants on the main Senegambia road which is a 5 or 10 minute walk form the hotel.

If you haven't been to this part of Gambia before take note that every male (Bumsters) wants to be your friend for all sorts of reasons but the main one's are for you to take them for meals, drinks, trips money (if you are on hol as a couple) or if you are single male or female (companions !!!!) and all the other I mentioned.

There is a beach which is easy to get too (through Senegambia Hotel) but you will pay if you use the hotel amenities or walk along the beach north and find different beach bars where you don't get hassled as much (try Oscars or Kunte Kinte beach bars) but these are 25min walk on the beach or get local taxi to take you as near as possible.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at Sarges in Kololi and the area so much (I'm going back but just a bit further away in Koto in March 2014)

Room Tip: See what you get and then ask for a room that doesn't back onto the generator/mosque
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank nibzvilla
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I recently returned from The Gambia having been on holiday for Christmas & New Year, i found the cleanliness of the hotel and rooms especially was very good, the staff overall were very friendly and helpful, the location of the hotel is very central to all restaurants, money change & shops.
We thought the breakfast overall was appalling sometimes there would be a choice of cornflakes, porridge, scrambled egg, beans, cheese, pancakes, bread but no toaster an awful orange juice (like undiluted cordial) tea & coffee, no water, odd day melon or mango, only 1st morning black bananas because they were that rotten, then maybe the next day there would be no scrambled eggs or beans on this day there was just cheese, porridge, cornflakes, bread, tea, coffee and nasty orange juice, it was by no means satisfactory at all there was quite a lot of guests that fortnight. Ate elsewhere quite a few times, I felt sorry for the people with kids, they weren't well catered for at all, their were no crisps to buy over the counter or even ice creams etc.

This hotel has a lot of potential but in a lot of respects it is badly managed i.e. when we tried to order food from the snack bar for 3 consecutive days we were told 'sorry no burgers' also not enough ingredients for other snacks, toasties etc, several of us were told this many times. Having to leave the premises on most occasions.

As the hotel is on the 'strip' at night this is not the ideal place to be when your trying to get some sleep, the music from the nearby disco's and bars (loud music, bongo & drumming) outside of Sarge's was unbelievably loud i can't understand why no one has commented on this point before, i know it's not the fault of the hotel but it doesn't make it an ideal place for a good night's sleep, we had to get ear plugs to guarantee a decent nights sleep, this racket carried on sometimes until 5-6 am in the morning, don't get me wrong i'm all up for people enjoying themselves but this was beyond the joke and happened nearly everynight only a couple of nights was it reasonable.

We found out the day we were coming home the pool pump wasn't working the representative had asked the hotel to put up a sign to advse guests of this due to health risks etc, but this wasn't done, pool had quite a significant tide mark. Yuk!

Thought the hire cost of the fridge was extortionate (£5 per day) not on! Safety deposit box hire was quite fair think about £12 - £14 for fortnight.

Pointers for outside the hotel are: Beware of the money exchange place just outside of Sarge's there are always a lot of young lads/men hanging about outside and sometimes inside while you are changeing money, they try and distract you etc, and mither you for money, they can be quite intimidating my advise is to try and go to a quieter one, there are plenty about. Also ensure you check your money properly my other half was ripped off for about 400 delasi because a few were pestering him when he was trying to count, but you have to count before you leave the exchange shop, only realised when he re-counted properly later on, but too late then although he did go back and tell them.

i will be going back to Gambia i enjoyed the holiday very much, the beaches were lovely, try Paradise Beach cost us about £10 per person to get there but well worth it & Kotu was also very nice and not too far for a different beach but i won't be staying at Sarge's again, there were 3 of us in my party and we all feel the same.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tilly038
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have just returned from a 10 day break staying at Sarges. I have spent approx 3 months in The Gambia over the last 2 years usually away from the main tourist areas but as I am in my late sixties and awaiting my second hip replacement and have restricted mobility I decided to book an hotel which was conveniently central. I was given a ground level room which was perfectly addaquate for my needs. The staff were all friendly and helpful (Well it is the Smiling coast). This is a Gambian owned hotel so at least your hard earned money is not going to some multinational company and hence staying within The Gambia. There are issues with bumsters and prostitution. If you are a sex tourist (which I am not) that's your business. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world and will never be eradicated but The Gambian tourism buisness is suffering as a result of it's reputation. Poverty and lack of education all contribute to this problem. Why not do something positive and sponsor a school a child's education this will give them the opportunity of better employment. Regarding the issue of bumsters (well the same applies) if you are firm polite and friendly you should have few problems but they can be very persistent. I use the same mandinka man as either guide, driver houseboy etc. he and his family have become firm friends of mine. I bought his son a mattress for his first birthday. If you find a guide like Mustapha you will never get hassled by the busters he will always tell me how much I should pay for anything and has probably saved me a fair amount of money. The Gambia is an excellent destination for a winter break and do be brave and leave the hotel grounds and the main tourist areas.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rustyroundabout
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I don't normally write reviews but improvements at Sarges made me think i should put something back for all the advice i have had from this forum.

I have stayed at Sarges Hotel quite a few times over many years, and have not been disappointed. i think it used to be a 2 star but now i would firmly put it as a 3 star
The new manageress Caroline has definitely moved things on.

It is a family owned hotel and so you get the feeling of being a welcome friend rather than the impersonal corporate experience of a large hotel chain

The staff were always friendly, but now are far more motivated! The bathrooms have been renovated) and everything runs smoothly, problems are resolved quickly.

The rooms, and pool are very clean, the continental breakfast is fine, and the staff are constantly cleaning and and replenishing supplies.

Good hotel, Great location. Recommended!

Room Tip: ask for pool view,lots of rooms have one so you should be lucky
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank nelincs2000
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed at the Sarges Hotel and upgraded to there "suite" which was still basic but it was clean and safe.Sarges is not the best to look at when you arrive and the pool is very smile along with the dining area but it was good for what we wanted it for.
The Gambia is a amazing place to visit, the hotel was less than a five minute walk to the wonderful sandy beach and is located right on the strip where there are bars and restaurants and the food along there is lovely.
Do the excursion of visiting the Saraconda market along with paradise beach and the schools all I can say is that it was breath taking the way these people live is unbelievable and they smile all the time and the wood carves are fantastic.
Take lots of pens,pencils, any clothes, sweets,chocolate, the kids think you are giving them the world when you give them a pen that works. We came home with empty cases we gave everything away all our clothes.
Highly recommend if you fancy a different but very basic holiday. Loved it will def be returning in a few years.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serekunda
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Hotel Palm Beach
Hotel Palm Beach
#4 of 6 in Kotu
Kombo Beach Hotel

Been to Sarges Hotel? Share your experiences!