This inn is truly a decent place to stay, and the laudatory remarks made in earlier posts are not, strictly speaking, inaccurate. The place is clean, the house is lovely, and the breakfast is good. The keyhole staircase is a must-see. Overall, my wife and I would like to say that we would stay here again, but honestly we will try our best to avoid it, if we can.
Although this will seem like heresy to the many returning guests the innkeepers obviously take as an endorsement of their hospitality, the eccentric atmosphere created by the management can leave you with a creepy feeling. Among our biggest gripes is the many "house rules" posted here and there about the house, and in the rooms. Rules advising guests not to "fool around" with the gas fireplaces or smoke in the rooms are understandable common sense, but just a small sample of the many, many other proscriptive edicts paints a rather dreary picture:
1) Do not iron on the carpeting or on the bedspread.
2) Do not take anything from the guest refrigerator that is not yours.
3) Don't take amenities from other rooms in the inn.
4) No whipped cream in the jacuzzi. (yuck!)
...and many more, each calling to mind a cautionary example of the kind of behavior evidently common among previous guests of the house. Guests are even denied leave to add a log to the wood-burning fireplace in the living room (you need to find and disturb the staff for this). What prompted the introduction of this last rule, I can only imagine.
In summary, one gets the feeling that the inkeepers have, as they said in a recent circular, "seen it all" after decades in the business, and they've started to view each new guest as a potential liability: nasty, brutish and destructive.
I fear that only new management can revive the feeling of welcome that is absent from this otherwise beautiful, potentially romantic and charming place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1890 Victorian plus Carriage House sitting on 10 acres in the Village of Lake Luzerne. Romantic getaway with suites with Jacuzzi's and fireplaces, other rooms with fireplace and a wheelchair accessible bedroom with fireplace. Full breakfast included, wifi, TV, wine and beer licensed, non smoking inside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Lamplight Inn Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lamplight Inn Bed And Breakfast Lake Luzerne/Lake George, NY