“Very old and sparse”

Lake Placid Olympic Museum
Ranked #5 of 54 things to do in Lake Placid
More attraction details
Owner description: Make the Lake Placid Olympic Museum your first stop on a tour of America's Olympic hometown and be inspired by the stories of the Winter Games. Located in the same building as the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" hockey game, the excitement of the Olympics lives on daily through displays and exhibits that visitors of all ages enjoy.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The museum does not update its collection. It is very old memorabilia and so are the pictures. Pictures of more recent events should be added.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Our tour guide was an older gentleman, whom I believe said had been a reporter and/or editor for the local newspaper during the time of the bidding, preparing for, and holding of, the 1980 Winter Olympics. As an area resident involved with the Olympics at that time, he had a wealth of behind-the-scenes stories to tell, which really brought the tour, and the Miracle on Ice arena, to life. We were able to see a figure skating pair and a female skater working with their coaches on a practice rink, as well as watch a skater competing in what I believe were the North Atlantic Regional Figure Skating Championships in another arena. Although you can look around the Olympic Center on your own without a tour guide, as my husband had suggested we do the day before when we had missed the tour times, I know I would not have gotten anywhere near the experience I did with our tour guide who was actually there during the 1980 Olympics.

1  Thank eatshoptravel
Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was very interesting to walk through the exhibits, but the tour was really interesting an our guide was so nice and knowledgeable. we were the only two on the tour so it was like getting a private tour.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We enjoyed seeing the outfits, equipments, uniforms and the rink. It was small but interesting. It was great seeing the place where the 1932 and 1980 Olympics was held.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I guess I expected more. Worth a stop if you are in the area. The way to go if visiting Olympic sites is the Olympic Sites passport... once you've hit two sites, you have paid for the passport.