“Great value”

Schulte's Family Lodge
New York
“Great value”
Reviewed 24 May 2010

This little inn is a great deal. The owners are very warm and inviting. I've stayed here twice when visiting my daughter at her camp in Lake Placid. I paid about $60 a night which was relatively cheap in comparison to the bigger name hotels in the area. There are a few motels/inns that may even be cheaper than this but they're not as nice. This place is clean and a great value. Spacious rooms with pretty much everything you need and they serve complimentary breakfast (tea, coffee, bagels and fruit). Its definitely not luxury - far from it but it serves its purpose!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
buffalo
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I wouldnt recomend this place to my enimies.. wow wish i would have looked at the reviews... She pulled the same stuff on me and my wife.. Over charged us more than 25 a nite and we were there for 6 days, was told breakfast was included, if you consider hard doughnuts and a rude woman serving them continential breakfast then this is your place. Oh and same doughnuts sat there for 3 days.Counted over 20 dead flys in the room, on the tables and dressers, kinda odd cause the woman goes threw your room as soon as you leave and says she is cleaning it but is really snooping around. She was upset because i brought a cook pot and forman grill she was worried about electricty and said we can do LIMITTED cooking. these items were under the sink. Speaking of the sink...it was clogged and i told her about it and she asked me what i poored down the drain. If you like being talked down to from some sort of mother figure this is your place. WOOD BURNING FIRE PLACES are nice when the hav the tools and the safty screen.. there was a tiny shovel no glove, no fork, nothing to control the fire. She told us to go to the store and buy fire logs if we wanted a fire. we were there for 6 days and spent a bunch ov money just to stay warm.. everythings old, bed and couches are over 20 years based on the date on the tag.You would think this lady would be happy since she has a amazing property worth millons in one of the most beautiful places in the world. she snooped threw our things and really put a damper on our trip.when you try to talk to her she shuts out your conversation when shes good and ready then theres no more disscussion of YOUR money YOUR breakfast YOUR privacy YOUR anything!! Please take my warning you would have more fun sleeping in my spare bedroom..Oh and dont bring candles cause she doesnt like them, i tried to remind her of the romance but she didnt understand. ..I have never been treated like this before in my life in such a beautiful place like lake placid. I speak the unfortunate truth..it was a terrible experience here.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lostnlife

Travellers are raving about these Lake Placid hotels

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Old Beds, no coffee pots, no hairdryers, no phones, no clock in room. Room full of flies, plus overcharged and have to try and fix again for the second time!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2009

I have stayed at Schulte's 3 times with a group of friends, Never again. I'll convince them to go elsewhere!
Each time I have been double charged on my credit card. This was also the case for several of the group members. The first time I actually got charged for a full weeks stay for some other group on top of my own stay.
It's an argument every time. I have had a charge show up on my Visa statement a month after my stay which of course was paid for at the time of the visit...........Hummmm.
If you must stay there just make sure you check you credit card statement............even months later!

• Stayed July 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We have been staying with Rolf and Birgit Schulte for the past 4 years and always enjoy our visits. The hotel and cottages are located at the south end of Lake Placid near the horse show grounds and the airport. Since we hike the high peaks it is great not to have to drive through town to get to Keene and Keene Valley.

The property has regular hotel rooms and housekeeping cottages. We have never stayed in the hotel, but have been in the rooms and they appear to be normal hotel rooms, each with a balcony or patio.

We always stay in one of the cottages. The cottages were likely built in the 1950s and are showing their age, but are always very clean. We enjoy the rustic atmosphere so the occasional hiccup (burner not working) doesn't bother us. People who are used to staying at the Ritz should probably not stay here. The cottages range in size from a double bed/kitchenette/bathroom to several rooms and full kitchens. The Schultes provide some pots/pans/plates but we have created our own portable kitchen that we bring with us. One of the cottages has a wood burning stove which really heats the place up. We stayed here when we skied Whiteface in December and we were toasty warm.

There is a nice pool on the property and a swing set for the kids. What really makes the stay for us, however, are the owners who are very friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

• Liked — Property owners, location, fun to stay in a cottage
  • Disliked — small beds in cottages
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple