High Peaks Resort
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$170
CrownePlaza.com
The Whiteface Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$374
US$297
Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$159
Courtyard
Hampton Inn & Suites Lake Placid(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$149
US$110
US$99
QualityInn
Lake House(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$159
Orbitz.com
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$143
Best Western Adirondack Inn(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$152
galahotels.com
Cobble Mountain Lodge(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$107
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa(Lake Placid)(Great Value!)
US$384
US$376
Official Hotel
  • Pool
1,403 results
All reviewsdancing bearhigh peakswaterfront collectionmirror lakewaterfront roommain streetrain showerin townthe main hotelpaddle boatsglass of champagnebathroom dooroutdoor poolwalk in showerhotel restaurantnice bathroomfree kayaks
Reviewed 11 December 2012

If you are looking for quality service and amenities, do not go to the High Peaks Resort. My husband and I just got back from a long weekend in Lake Placid, and while we had an amazing time, it was in no part due to the hotel. I apologized to my husband a hundred times over the weekend for picking such a lackluster place to stay for our anniversary. We ended up staying away from the hotel as much as we could to make the most out of our anniversary trip.

For those of you looking for a quick and dirty review, here are the basics. Those who want the juicy details can read on.

Pro’s:
-Comfy bed
-Good location

Con’s:
-Poor housekeeping; Trash & old food was left on the dresser in our room, bed messy
-We had a broken tv and radio until they fixed it but didn’t admit they were broken
-Super thin walls
-Wifi didn’t work anywhere (room, lobby, restaurant all wouldn’t connect)
-Whole 4th floor smells like pool/chlorine
-Pool/Jacuzzi area is old, outdated, concrete and generally icky
-LP bar area always packed with families/kids (would be fine if it wasn’t a BAR)
-Strange/condescending staff members

When we arrived and checked in to our room, I found a bottle of champagne on ice and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries; a surprise from my husband. We enjoyed the wine and strawberries that afternoon and evening, and left the empty plate with strawberry tops, ice bucket of water and empty bottle on the dresser where we found them the next morning. When we arrived back late the next afternoon, our room had been cleaned, but the dirty plate, ice bucket (now water bucket) and empty bottle were all still there. This was gross to me because now at this point the strawberry tops had been sitting out for 24 hours. It was strange that housekeeping would clean the room but blatantly leave trash and old food in the room. (Nitpicky side-note; the bed was messily made; in fact I had to check and see if we had fresh towels to even know if the room was cleaned because it looked as if my hubby made the bed!)

My husband and I went down to the restaurant for a snack at this point and stopped at the front desk to report the trash left in the room as well as the TV that wouldn’t power on and the iHome speakers that wouldn’t play music from our iPhones. The man at the desk was very pleasant and apologetic and said he would take care of the three items.

When we returned to our room about an hour later, the TV and radio were both on FULL BLAST (freaky to walk into the room and find that) and the trash was still there. We also had a note saying that we had to give the tv “time to change channels.” This struck us as funny because we couldn’t even get the television to turn on, nevermind wait to let the channels change. There was no apology or accountability taken for the broken and now fixed tv or radio, just a note telling us to give the TV time. That was more annoying than anything else, not a huge deal.

The huge deal was the strawberry plate that was still there!!! We gave it a couple more hours, and no one ever came by to pick it up. So, we carried it downstairs to the front desk to make a point. The odd woman was back, she took the stuff, told us, and I quote, “Housekeeping does better when you put these things outside your room….ugh. Now I have to call them to pick this up.” WHAT?!!?! Telling us what we did wrong, instead of apologizing?! She literally did not say sorry and just acted annoyed that we brought down the 24-hour old dirty plate downstairs after asking to have it cleaned.

Other things that were dismaying about the hotel:
-The walls are paper thin. We got to hear our neighbor tell his dad all about the restaurant that has boneless wings, and we could hear every single time our other neighbor went to the bathroom…not just the toilet flushing.
-The “soothing hot tubs” are actually one hot tub in the winter, connected to the pool, old concrete with poor lighting. There was nothing soothing about that atmosphere.
-This is not completely the fault of the hotel’s, but the pool and fancy bar area (LP’s I think it is called) were ALWAYS packed with families and children. The pool was not a huge deal (didn’t help the “soothing” hot tub aspect, we actually felt a little creepy being two adults surrounded by kids 12 and under in the hot tub….didn’t stay very long)…but we were very disappointed to not get to enjoy any time at LP. It looked so beautiful, with leather chairs, pretty decorations and always a fire going. We just did not feel comfortable sitting in a bar atmosphere that was filled with kids running around.
-Internet wouldn’t connect in the room or the lobby. In the restaurant, it didn’t even pick up a signal. My waitress made me “walk around” to try and find it…no luck.
-Apple cider = weird cider syrup and hot water. Yuck.

Things that were nice:
-The bed/pillows/linens were all very comfortable
-The location is great for walking around Main St. Lake Placid.

Bottom line is if you want to get what you pay for, don’t go to High Peaks. This place is overpriced and I really didn’t like it at all. Next time we go to Lake Placid we will check out the Mirror Lake Inn, that appeared much more on our level.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey L
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Dear Stacey L.
Thank you for bringing your experience at the High Peaks Resort to my attention. Please accept my sincere apology for the problems you encountered during your stay. Be assured I have personally reviewed your concerns with my staff. Please contact me via e-mail, so we may set up a time to discuss these issues further and to give me the opportunity to restore your confidence in the High Peaks Resort.

John J. Marko Jr.
jmarko@highpeaksresort.com
518-523-4411 Ext: 300

Reviewed 2 December 2012

First of all a giant thank-you to Pam at the front desk who was super friendly and helpful! She made sure we had a nice room with a great view after noting that it was our third visit! What can I say? We keep going back because we enjoy it so much! This time we did not bring the kiddies and enjoyed dining at the Dancing Bears restaurant, and especially liked the happy hour on tap beer prices! We rested by the fire in the lobby while playing a game of scrabble and munching on the cookies, brownies and hot chocolate provided by the hotel! The room was super clean and house keeping brought us more towels, wine glasses and a cork-screw as soon as we asked. The shopping and walk through town was a treat as was the visit to the cinema to see a movie. The theater and its old fashioned character are charming! Thank-you High Peaks for another 5 star weekend! Our kids can not wait until we return again with them!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennifer b
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I've reviewed High Peaks before after being happy staying in the main building. This time my parents, my daughter, and I stayed in the building across the street, right on the lake. The rooms were spacious and very clean and the beds are exceptionally comfy. I've always loved the showers, and this room had a huge bathroom with a large spa tub (although I won't use those in hotels because they breed germs) and a lovely rain shower. The sliding glass door opened right onto a grassy lawn, and a dock. The sunrise was breathtaking!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2012

we had booked a room with two double beds at the building overlooking the water (lakeveiw inn)
but got a call saying no double room available and offered a king bed and pull out coach in the main building (Hihg Peak Resort). I was told the pull out was comofortable and the room was much nicer so said yes. At check in the woman said she was putting us in a handicap room.
I asked if there was a pull out coach and she said yes.
We were tired when we arrived and surprised to see there was no coach. The lounge chair with ottoman was a possiblility but after a rest we tried taking the cushions off and it did not turn into a bed, just a chair. We had our belongings spread out and were too tired to deal with moving our luggage and changing rooms so I ended up sharing the very comfortable king bed with my adult son.I would't have wanted to spend more than the one night there with the extra low sink etc. since we are both over 6' but it was okay for one night. The remote didnt work properly and and there were 8 or so pages missing from the information book so perhaps they don't rent this room out often. Other than that it was fine except for all the hall noise at night keeping us awake. First it sounded like a young boy running up and down the corrider around 10:30 and then some drunks including cursing around 11:45 which disturbed out sleep of course.
So, you may want to ask for an upper floor, maybe better luck than room 109.
We did pay for a nice breakfast in the Dancing Bears restaurant. There was a nice view of shops and lake if you walked outside on the deck over by the street.

I may have given this 4 stars if we had a normal room with two beds. They need mor counter help also and perhaps a bell boy.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2012

High Peaks Resort is a dream for people who travel with dogs. They do not charge a fee for pets to stay. They also have a strict pet policy that helps to keep the resort equally delightful for non-dog owners. You will not hear howls as you walk down the hallways (and unfortunately, because of the odd layout of this hotel, you likely will walk down a lot of hallways). You will not see nor smell dogs everywhere. This hotel is clean and fresh.

Our room was comfortable and spacious, with a large sofa in addition to a king-size bed. The large bathroom had a lovely new rain shower. Our balcony offered views of Mirror Lake.

The hotel is on the main drag in Lake Placid, a perfect location. You can walk to restaurants and shops, though we enjoyed some perfectly fine meals at the High Peaks' restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple