“High Peaks Resort an excellent choice in Lake Placid”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We wanted to enjoy Lake Placid and the snow so decided on High Peaks Resort for 3 days mid-week at end of Jan., 2013. We have a small dog so the fact that HPR was pet friendly factored into our decision.
From check-in to check-out, High Peaks was excellent. The room with a lake view was large, very clean and well maintained and decorated. We loved the newly renovated bathroom. They provided cleaned areas around the property to walk our dog.
We ate dinner at the restaurant each night as it was 20 below zero all three nights and could not leave dog in the room or in the car. The staff served us in the lounge area so we enjoyed our dinners in front of a roaring fire each night. The food was very good. They have happy hour with half price beer and burgers. The Dancing Bears restaurant and bar is at street level and is really very friendly. It seemed to be a gathering place for tourists and locals alike.
The bedding and the bed are excellent. The room was clean and the well heated. They have covered parking and a roof level parking that is not covered.
The front desk staff is exceptional, especially Pam. We really felt comfortable there and were happy we did not have to leave our dog at home. Except for the bitter cold, the stay was fantastic. High recommended.
I would stay here again and plan to the next time we come to Lake Placid.

3  Thank LouiseAU400
Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed 25 January 2013

My boyfriend and I came up for a weekend getaway a week before Christmas. We got a great deal on Travelzoo that included breakfast and a giftcard for dinner at Dancing Bear. We had an excellent stay. The hotel was beautiful decorated for Christmas and there was always a warm fire in the lobby. The room was spacious, comfortable and we loved the shower and bathroom. We enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in the lobby and enjoy the hot chocolate and cookies during the day. We had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lorib49
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed in a waterfront room, not the main resort, and our room was very well designed and appointed. We tear apart beds and inspect rooms *very* thoroughly before bringing in any luggage to avoid contact with bedbugs or other undesirable issues. Our scrupulous inspection found the bed and bedding to be very clean and fresh. The only caveat is that they should run the down comforters through a hot dryer between washings because I had s severe dust mite reaction to their down comforter (but not my own at home, I'm only allergic to the mites, not the down). Management offered me a down alternative comforter that stopped the reaction for the rest of our stay.

The house man who brought it also offered to bring in an ozone generator to kill any remaining dust mites and freshen the room air, which we accepted and left the room for the time it was running. I was impressed by the unprompted offer and the concern for guest comfort at the HPR.

When I tried to open what I thought was a closet, but was locked, I found that the louvered door was for our heating and cooling unit. What I also found was that the louvered slats were packed thickly with dust, clearly not inspected for cleanliness for a very long time. A housekeeper graciously came to vacuum them out immediately upon my request. Later I noticed that the bathroom sconces had cobwebs and dust on them, as did some bedroom lamps, and the large upholstered chair had crumbs, chunks of old cookies, and dust along the cording and under the seat cushion. I think a moment more of careful inspection by a housekeeping supervisor to take a closer look at everything in these rooms is needed to raise the standard a bit. Otherwise, especially with the bedding, there is great care in cleaning in evidence, too. I'm sure the dust settling on everything else in the room was being blown around through those louvers, and the climate unit itself probably needs a filter cleaning, too.

The bed wasn't the best; I had to stay near the edge to avoid rolling toward the middle; if it had been king, that might not have been an issue, but it really detracts from sleep comfort any time it happens.

We thought we had a great location and well appointed, comfortable room for a very good price, and would have awarded five stars if not for the housekeeping deficiencies noted. I'm giving it four stars because the response by management to our concerns (with only one, less than pleasant front desk call one time to a woman who told me she'd just gotten in and seemed to think I was calling at what was an inconvenient time for her) was speedy, gracious and genuinely concerned for our comfort and satisfaction.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2013

A lovely well-appointed room, comfortable bed, great bathroom, clean, beautiful view of the mountains, friendly staff, great location - it's got it all (including spa robes!!) and a good value as well!!! Try the espresso martini!!

1  Thank TTM489
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This hotel is right in the middle of everything! Excellent hotel at a reasonable price; room was spacious and modern with a good view of the downtown and the lake in the distance, and a beautiful view of the snow covered mountains. Bathroom was large and well appointed. Lobby area is super comfortable with a great Adirondack look. Restaurant was easily affordable and had tables for people watching right along the main street. All the staff were friendly and courteous. Food was good. We would love to stay here again, and would recommend it highly to family and friends.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Checked in on January 5, 2013
We were able to get away for the week and decided to head to Lake Placid as we've never been there. The hotel was offering a mid week ski and stay package which was very reasonably priced. The reviews were ok so we decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise. We were greeted by very friendly staff and check in only took a minute or two. Being mid week there was lots of covered parking which is a good thing as it's been snowing since we got here. The room is very nice but were not expecting the slippers and house coats. My wife has them on now. The room is nice and clean and the shower has a rain head as well. Comfy couch and a nice big screen tv. Balcony with view of the lake that I'm sure would be quite nice in summer.

The drive from Toronto was really nice once we got off the 401 and into the US. It's a very scenic drive and took around 6 hours. If we enjoy the skiing at Whiteface we'll definitely be back before winter is over.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank JSLExplores
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Had a great weekend at the High Peaks Resort. Perfect location, close to everything. Nice restaurant downstairs. The rooms were spacious. The bathroom was large and the shower was great. The room temp was easily controlled and comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! Friendly, helpful staff. The one downfall was that the pool and hot tub were on the other side of the building on the 4th floor and the halls were a bit too chilly to walk through on a cold night in January! I was under the impression there were robes in the rooms, but I was mistaken. I loved that you could sit in the lounge by the fireplace and have a cocktail. If you're going to be in the snow and cold, Lake Placid has got to be the prettiest place to be! We hope to come back in the warmer weather and enjoy the outside deck and pools.

2  Thank Jeaniec1964