“Fall visit”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Fall visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Great hotel with fine accomodations right downtown and easy walking distance. We would take a pass on dining/eating in the Dancing Bears restaurant on the main floor. Some what of a pub style, terrible food and service. Noisy. I think they prefer catering to the loud crowd.

Rack of ribs was so large two slabs of pork that must of come from a large old sow drowned in BBQ sauce sitting on top of fries. Had to ask 3 times for the cole slaw. Left 90% of it.

My wife had trout drowned in oil. No need to ruin a great fish.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kersh3334

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We're arrived in Lake Placid in a very raining day, but once inside the reception the waiter make me happy with his fine smile.
We're checked in a fantastic suite room with a over king size bed, a microwave oven, a freezing machine, a fantastic and large sofa, a very convenient chaise-longue....wow
I havenr seen a bathroom like this in a house and not even in a hotel, with a large shower, two sinks, a jacuzzi service and a tv hanging on the wall over the wc.
Everythong was perfect even the guy who turned off the fire alarm that i had made from doing some popcorn.
I have a beautiful memory of this little paradise.

• Stayed September 2013
Syracuse NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our weekend getaway. We did book a lakeside room. Outside the room were rose petals on the ground to give you the romantic feeling.

The room was almost perfect, very spacious bed was comfortable, the bathroom was big with a separate stand up shower and a large jacuzzi tub. It was really a beautiful room with breath taking views and perfect for a romantic getaway. The only thing I didn't like about our room was the toilet was really loud when filling up and took forever to fill up.

Check in was easy and although we were really early luckily enough our room was ready for us.

There are some pros and cons to having the lakeside view rooms.

Pros: Better view, quieter, more romantic.

Cons: If you want to go to the indoor pool it's in the main building, which isn't too much of a problem because the day we went it wasn't too cold out but I could see this being an issue if we brought the kids and/or if it was cold out.

No coffee service, or morning paper. I was actually a little surprised about this. I am an early bird and usually wake up super early. I would have loved to grab the paper and read it on the chairs outside looking the lake. There are coffee makers in the room but my husband didn't like the wolf gang puck coffee and I don't drink coffee (there wasn't a tea selection either). Given that you have to have a key to get into the building it would be a great idea to have a small spot down there where the daily paper is delivered and maybe some other tourist magazines are with fresh coffee/tea and maybe some bagels or donuts for those of us that are staying down there.

Another recommendation would also be fire pits. Since we visited in September at night it got a little chilly, I nice outdoor fire pit would have taken some of the chill away and added to the ambiance a lot.

All in all we were very happy with our stay and would recommend staying here, I just think the place needs a few improvements to really make it stand out from a regular hotel. I would also encourage the front desk to be more chatty... the individual who checked us in didn't really tell us about any of the extras that the hotel offers or anything around town. I really like it when I check into a place and they are enthused that you are there and want to tell you all about the hotel and the town. It really helps set the tone for the weekend for me.

3 Thank kbz2002
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

While AAA rates this hotel as three stars, my first impression was that this might be the same quality as a four star resort. My room at this hotel was exceptionally well decorated, the bathroom was spacious and had a separate tub and extra large shower. But, during our four night stay, we discovered the room had some maintenance flaws, the faucet in sink made it almost impossible to wash your face, and daily maid service was spotty and inconsistent. Also, the food quality at breakfast was good but could be better. The restaurant felt more like a upscale coffee shop. All these things could be easily fixed and doing so would move the High Peaks closer to a four star AAA rating.

1 Thank RiversideBob
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear RiversideBob:
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We appreciate your feedback on the concerns you had and will review with the appropriate departments. Hope to have you back again in the future.
Bob Trotter
High Peaks Resort.
Greenwich, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Just went for a night cap to the Dancing Bears Bar
GREAT Atmosphere, Great Drink Selection and VERY Friendly Staff.

Hey, where else can you run into Vera Wang! Well we just missed her but everyone was buzzing about her.

Cannot go wrong here.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had not planned on staying in Lake Placid, we were just passing thru on our motorcycle on our way home from Bar Harbor, Maine, but there was so much to see that we changed our plans to spend the night. High Peaks resort has more than one property and we stayed in the older section that was across the street from the Lake but had a beautiful view because it was on a hill. To find the High Peaks just take the main street thru town to the hill. The office is in the new section on the left side of the street--we stayed on the right side because the price was more reasonable. The room was great and later we had a bottle of wine on the balcony to celebrate the last night of our trip from Michigan. The next day I forgot my necklace in the room and did not realize until I got home. I did not think I would see it again--but I called anyway and they had found it. They mailed it back to me and did not even charge me for the postage. They were all very nice at the hotel and although there are a lot of tourists in Lake Placid, it is not a tourist trap like Niagra Falls or Lake George..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple