“Nothing special, impersonal”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the final leg of a longer trip. We had previously been staying at smaller inns and boutique hotels so perhaps my expectations were off but I was not thrilled by my experience here especially given the cost. I may as well have stayed at a holiday inn and saved some money.

The worst was our in-room air conditioning. It basically sounded like a turbo jet. Everytime it came on in the night it would wake me up. I tried to mention this to the front desk upon checkout but it was hard to get a word in as the staff at the front desk are also responsible for manning the many phone calls that come in. I finally did catch a break and mentioned it and they were somewhat dismissive "thanks - we will look into it" likely meant that it would be the next guests problem (avoid room 515!). That being said - it might just be all their units are that noisy.

The front desk in general was very subpar again in consideration of the cost paid for the hotel. My husband pulled up to the main reception area so I could quickly check us in. I was sent back our for ID and a credit card, which is not something any of the other hotels on my journey had asked for. This feels like something cheaper hotels do and isnt very welcoming "Hi - you may be a criminal, can you prove otherwise to me?" Again, this is fine at a cheaper hotel and is standard practice but coming from all the other places we had stayed I hadnt been asked yet for any further verification. Additionally the front desk failed to tell us our room number, assist with luggage, or even explain the hotel amenities. It was just really underwhelming for the price they were charging.

The hotel also had many weird smells - on ground it smelled like salt and vinegar chips (this smell lasted through the night and didnt seem to be dissipating). Other hallways smelled very strongly of cleaners and though I can appreciate that this meant they were keeping the place germ free, the smell was strong and off-putting. Our shower also smelled extremely strongly of bleach. I suppose its hard to balance so I am not certain if there is a way to disinfect without such strong smells.

I had also asked the front desk for restaurant recommendations and of course the only recommendation was the hotel restaurant. I was really looking to venture outside the hotel but they weren't offering up any information and given this is a tourist area, you would think that they could provide some assistance in this regard.

On the positives they had a nice pool area outside and many of the rooms in the main building faced in one direction or another the lake. The views from the higher levels were quite nice. Bathrooms were also large and nicely finished. Rooms were spacious. At night they had a movie playing at the pool for kids and seemed to have a popcorn maker though no one was operating it sadly.

Room Tip: The A/C in 515 is way too loud but the 5th floor has nice views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jvive

Reviewed 2 July 2014

High Peaks Resort is spread over three properties. We chose the one in the middle overlooking Mirror Lake since it was newly renovated and still smelled of paint. What a wonderful hotel with two outdoor and two indoor pools and access to kayaks and paddle-boats. We spent the two days in the kayaks and lounging around the pools. The lounge is gorgeous and we unwrapped a few of the many new board games. Cookies and healthy granola bars with lemon water was a nice treat in mid afternoon. And the beds were incredibly comfortable. A/C was pretty noisy but the big units usually are. We're already planning our next trip to this great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Seat11A
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear seat11A:
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at the Lake House at HIgh Peaks Resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your visit with us and that you liked our newly renovated property. We look forward to having you back as our guest's in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife, daughter and I stayed one night at this hotel mother's day weekend 2014; we checked out to rush to my daughter's basketball game early Sunday morning and when we returned home realized that we left some clothes hanging in the closet. My wife contacted the front desk right away and I was ready to drive the 90 minutes back up to Lake Placid to get our clothes back. My wife was told by the desk clerk it was not a problem and they would mail us our clothes back. We were grateful until the package arrived about 10 days later; my new shirt was missing and it was by far the most expensive shirt I owned. I called the manager - Alexander - repeatedly and never got an answer, follow up call or explanation of what happened. Very disappointing to say the least. I will never stay there again and will caution anyone who is thinking about staying at this hotel. I'm 100% sure that someone stole the shirt and worse yet the management showed no sense of urgency or care to rectify the problem. If the staff would steal a dress shirt and management is OK with that what else could go wrong there?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Douglas S

Dear Douglas S:
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with us. I am very sorry for your unacceptable stay. Please feel free to contact me to discuss further
518-523-4411 Ext: 4300

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We spent 3 relaxing nights at the High Peaks Resort and loved it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was great and looked over Mirror Lake. The Fitness Facility and pool areas were clean and well equipped. The hotel is centrally located on the main street so it is a short walk to anywhere.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is going to Lake Placid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had an awesome stay at the High Peaks Resort. Thanks for the friendly service at front desk from Lisa! We loved our room. It was huge in size and what an amazing view. Amazing shower! Right "downtown" Lake Placid. Its where you want to stay if you visit LP!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J9257
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We came to Lake Placid for an old timer's hockey game and received a package deal at this resort. We checked in at a beautiful building, but we're told that our room was in the building across the street.

Upon entering the building, we were met with a strong pungent odor...paint fumes! It must have been oil-based
paint. The smell was equally as bad in the room. Additionally, there was no air circulation and no window that could be opened! Needless to say, I had a sleepless night and could not wait to leave. I could not imagine someone with a pulmonary condition staying there. I would definitely think twice about staying in this establishment when coming to Lake Placid in the future!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank susupnut
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear susupnut:
Thank you for letting us know about your experience. We are very sorry that this experience was not what we expect any of our guests to encounter. We have attempted to contact you directly without success. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss further.

High Peaks Resort
518-523-4411 Ext: 300

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Recently stayed at the High Peaks Resort, and found it to be nothing but amazing!! From happy at Dancing Bears to complimentary rentals of kayaks to go out on Mirror Lake. I truly enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend staying here to anyone. Everyone was friendly from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Thank you again for such a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo