“Not quite what we expected”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As they have 3 properties, make sure what you are booking. We were in the main house and had a superior room with a lake view. On their website pictures of the ambiance and the views are quite different. In reality, yes we had a lake view on the background, but 90% of our view consisted of roof area with air conditioning units. As we had planned to sit on the balcony, drink wine and enjoy the view, we were quite disappointed. We liked the room and a shower. Breakfast was good in the downstairs pub. Thankfully the hotel was very empty because you can hear all the noise in the corridor.

Room Tip: Further away from the elevators. We stayed close to the elevators and heard everybody walking by and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reesepp
Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My first visit to Lake Placid and I happened to stay at High Peaks Resort located right at Main Street at Mirror Lake. What luck!! I got a lake front room with king bed and a large room with a large shower (ceiling mounted shower head) and jacuzzi tub on the ground floor. A nice table and chairs outside my patio door was a perfect spot to enjoy the morning sun. The pool, kayaks, paddle boats etc. were all only feet away. It also had a fridge and couch. Great for families or couples. The service by staff were all great as was cleanliness. Go for a lake room if you can get it. No power boats allowed on Mirror Lake so ahhh, peace and quiet. I had an opportunity to speak with Lake Placid's Mayor, areal gentleman and so proud of the environmental achievements and laws keeping it that way. I was there for business, but can hardly wait to return as a returning guest with my family at this great resort and wonderful village!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert G
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Robert G,

Thank you very much for your nice review of High Peaks Resort and Lake Placid. We are so happy that you enjoyed your waterfront room and amenities. Our location is unsurpassed for both water and town access, and we hope that you have the opportunity to return to High Peaks Resort in the near future. I would encourage you also to consider our newly renovated Lake House as well.

Please feel free to contact me if I can help with any arrangements, and thank you again for your comments! I look forward to sharing your review with my colleagues.

Best wishes for a wonderful summer,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The room was clean and in a good location across from the lake down town, but we asked for a late check out. We only needed an hour for my daughter to shower after a hockey game which we told HP and they wanted to charge us a half day rate, which was more than $200. I believe this to be ridiculous, especially after the man at the front desk asked us if we just wanted to stay another night, so they must not have been booked solid.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Renae T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review of your experience at High Peaks. I am happy that you found our location and room condition to be top-notch, and apologize for the manner in which your request for a late check-out was handled by our front desk. We attempt to honor reasonable late check-out requests whenever possible. I will review our procedure with the front desk manager to ensure that all of our agents are consistently providing correct information about our late check-out policies.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the less-than-accommodating manner in which your request was handled. I hope that we have the opportunity in the future to welcome you and your family back to the resort, and encourage you to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your situation further.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed for one night on June 29th to the 30th. Choose a "waterfront collection" double queen. Very nicely appointed and comfortable room. Nice location, directly on the waterfront. Kayaks and paddle boats were available at your convenience. Funny enough the parking for these rooms is actually located directly above the rooms themselves. Sounds weird, I know. You will understand should you stay in these rooms. However we heard zero noise from the parking lot above. Although there was moderate hall noise and noise from our neighbors, due to the adjoin door in the room. While it was not opened, of course, it still allowed sound to pass through quite easily, IMHO. Beds were wonderfully comfortable and the bathroom included a waterfall shower with a huge jetted whirlpool tub. Quite nice indeed. Contacted the front desk directly for my reservation and negotiated a slight discount off of the online price. The Dancing Bears restaurant, attached to the main hotel, is good and sports a beautiful room top dining/bar area. Overall, I would stay here again given its location and quality.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigAlexC
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one night and had never been to lake placid before. (This hotel has lake view but is across the street from lake, don't be confused)

The good:
location, room was nice and roomy, view of the lake, balcony, comfy bed.

The bad:
Shower was large and nice but had not been cleaned. (Moldy, had a bench in shower but to moldy to sit on it) they had a wedding and sent a letter to the room inviting us to the ceremony and party but also said we can't use alot of the hotel amenities. (What a joke)The bar tended at the dancing bear Jackie~Lynn was so rude that we left and refused to eat dinner there. Ending up eating at the hotel golden arrow's resteraunt and the food was amazing.

Overall : not worth price. Go find a hotel that is right on the water like the golden arrow.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank ShCornish111
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear ShCornish111:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry your visit with us is not how we expect our guest to feel and be treated. If you would like to discuss further with me, please contact me.
518-523-4411 Ext: 4300

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to another place in the Adirondacks. What a great location! The property is right on Main Street but much of the hotel seems very secluded from the hustle and bustle. We had a room on the fifth floor facing Mirror Lake and the view was lovely. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and could even hear the loons on the lake.

The room was comfortable and clean, and the bathroom was very nice - large and well furnished. Our son loved the two swimming pools - indoor and outdoor - although the indoor one seemed a bit dated and untidy. There were several room service trays sitting out in the fifth floor hallway from the time we checked in at 4 pm until we left at 10 the next morning, which shows a lack of attention to detail.

We were not wowed by High Peaks, but certainly enjoyed the convenience and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We spent our anniversary at the Lake House, overlooking Mirror Lake....we come each year on the fourth and enjoyed extra amenities (the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room prior to the fireworks were totally unexpected and thoroughly enjoyed). The recent renovations had a few glitches, but the staff eagerly made our stay more than enjoyable and very comfortable. We had conversations with wait staff, the check-in personnel and housekeeping. Everyone seemed to be enjoying being employed by High Peaks Resort. This hotel is right on Main Street, and within walking distance of every spot in town imaginable.
My wife and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Lake House is less expensive, and the balconies provide a clear view of the fireworks on the fou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterKozak

Dear PeterKozake:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are very happy you enjoyed the Lake House at High Peaks Resort. I will definately share all your wonderful comments with our associates. We look forward to having you back as our guest's in the near future. Happy Anniversary.!!