“Fantastic Experience!!!”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We recently hosted our wedding at the High Peaks Resort. Our experience was nothing less than amazing! Our guests loved the atmosphere and the service was outstanding. Everyone who stayed at the resort had nothing but positive things to say. Our experience from day one until the day after the wedding was nothing short of spectacular! We highly recommend this resort for anyone (couples planning a wedding, families on vacation, even businesses for conferences)! We will definitely plan a stay again soon and we know of many of our guests who plan to return as well!

• Stayed: July 2014
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Newlyweds,

Thank you for taking the time to share the positive experience you and your guests had at High Peaks Resort for your wedding. It was a lovely day, and I am happy to hear that our wonderful team delivered the fantastic experience that you expected - and more! I look forward to sharing your review with everyone here, and we all look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit very soon!

With kind regards, and wishing you the best on your journey together,

There are newer reviews for High Peaks Resort

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Lake Placid and we decided to stay somewhere different, we only stayed for one night here. We got a rate on hotwire.com although we checked right before we left and it was much cheaper so that was disappointing but not the hotel's fault. We had room 117, ground floor, we had requested one bed and instead there were two uncomfortable double beds in our room. Check in was fast and the staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel has rooms by Mirror Lake but not if you stay in the main building which we did and had a view of the pool but we did have outdoor chairs and a small patio. The bathroom was the highlight of the room, huge with great amenities. They do have kayaks and paddle boats but you have to walk down to the waterside building to access them, again not a huge inconvenience. The access to the restaurant Dancing Bears was great and we really enjoyed our time there. This is at the far end of the main drag so keep that in mind too although still wasn't far from anything. Overall it was a good experience but we likely would try somewhere else next time we go. I know they have nicer rooms and you do get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Request a room with water access
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Meggan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at High Peaks Resort.

I apologize that your preferred room type was unavailable, and that we were unable to offer you a different room during your stay, and am happy that you were able to find our hotel a good value. Our waterfront rooms and suites are in very high demand during the year, and do offer direct access to our watercraft and unspoilt views of the Lake and Mountains.

I 'm glad you enjoyed Dancing Bears, and will share your comments with the entire staff.

We certainly hope that you return to Lake Placid again soon, and I would be happy to talk with you further if you would like to try a different room type. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently stayed a few nights here. They have 3 properties one of which is right on the water which I strongly recommend you request. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. They have complimentary kayaks, paddle boats and canoes for guest use. Jet tub and gorgeous walk in shower! If you get the waterfront property you are right next to the outdoor pool but they also have a dock if you prefer swimming in the lake. We ate in the resort restaurant for breakfast one day, service was slow and food was mediocre. All in all we enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Think this hotel is a tail of two cities with some highs and a few lows:
Highs: right on the "strip", easy walking to town, has ample parking, kids loved the pools (there are 3), free kayaks, paddle boats, sunfish paddle bikes. The rooms are appropriately decorated for the Adirondacks and were clean and cheery. The balconies were nice, two seats and a table, private from your neighbors.

Food at the dancing bears was ok, nothing to rave about. The outside, 2nd level seating had a good view.

See tip on booking rooms, some views are much better than others.

We weren't happy with the view of our room. Interestingly, I had read the review about looking at the roof with hvac equipment. I had specifically asked about the view when I booked. They said we would have a full on view of the lake and mountains. Instead, we looked right at that roof. They said it was a superior view bc if you go on the balcony you can see the lake to the right. they were able to change us on the second day -- we received champagne and strawberries from the manager. Nice touch.

Room Tip: When booking a room, make sure you specifically understand the view. The hotel is built on a hill...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ShariS7

Dear Shari,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of High Peaks Resort. I am sorry that the view in the room you were first assigned did not meet your expectations, but glad that our team handled a move graciously.

Thank you also for your comments about Dancing Bears. The seating on the Deck - on the second floor - allows for magnificent views of Mirror Lake and the mountains. We have started offering a number of daily specials to compliment our classic pub fare, and allow more choices for our guests. I hope that you have another opportunity to visit.

I will share your comments with our team, and look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next trip to Lake Placid.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I highly recommend this hotel. He is somewhat handicapped and everything worked out perfectly. The concierge Lisa checked us in and was extremely helpful about where to park. She made sure we had the requested accommodation near the main elevator and arranged for someone to meet me at the car to help with the luggage. For her kindness and attentiveness I awarded her a tripadvisor pin. We stayed in room 501 which is over the ground floor roof, but we had a wonderful view to Mirror Lake. It was very pleasant to sit out on our balcony. The king-size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was outstanding with a walk in shower and seat inside - perfect for my husband. The lobby area was also inviting and after an afternoon of adventures we enjoyed the lemonade and cookies.
We also ate at the Dancing Bears.
I went to the hair salon which is an Aveda salon. The hairdresser was excellent. This is such a nice feature to have right in your hotel.
We were there during a convention for the Police Chiefs of New York State. It was so well run, that it never seemed to interfere with our stay.
We looked at the other hotels in the area and for a luxury hotel at a non-luxury price we think this is the best place. If you are an older traveler stay in the main building. If you want beach and kyaks and canoes ask for a room in a separate building at the water's edge.

Room Tip: 501 top floor easy access to elevator, does overlook roof of ground floor building but excellent vie...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllis M
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As they have 3 properties, make sure what you are booking. We were in the main house and had a superior room with a lake view. On their website pictures of the ambiance and the views are quite different. In reality, yes we had a lake view on the background, but 90% of our view consisted of roof area with air conditioning units. As we had planned to sit on the balcony, drink wine and enjoy the view, we were quite disappointed. We liked the room and a shower. Breakfast was good in the downstairs pub. Thankfully the hotel was very empty because you can hear all the noise in the corridor.

Room Tip: Further away from the elevators. We stayed close to the elevators and heard everybody walking by and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank reesepp
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My first visit to Lake Placid and I happened to stay at High Peaks Resort located right at Main Street at Mirror Lake. What luck!! I got a lake front room with king bed and a large room with a large shower (ceiling mounted shower head) and jacuzzi tub on the ground floor. A nice table and chairs outside my patio door was a perfect spot to enjoy the morning sun. The pool, kayaks, paddle boats etc. were all only feet away. It also had a fridge and couch. Great for families or couples. The service by staff were all great as was cleanliness. Go for a lake room if you can get it. No power boats allowed on Mirror Lake so ahhh, peace and quiet. I had an opportunity to speak with Lake Placid's Mayor, areal gentleman and so proud of the environmental achievements and laws keeping it that way. I was there for business, but can hardly wait to return as a returning guest with my family at this great resort and wonderful village!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert G
HighPeaksResort, General Manager at High Peaks Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Robert G,

Thank you very much for your nice review of High Peaks Resort and Lake Placid. We are so happy that you enjoyed your waterfront room and amenities. Our location is unsurpassed for both water and town access, and we hope that you have the opportunity to return to High Peaks Resort in the near future. I would encourage you also to consider our newly renovated Lake House as well.

Please feel free to contact me if I can help with any arrangements, and thank you again for your comments! I look forward to sharing your review with my colleagues.

Best wishes for a wonderful summer,