“Great Value, Perfect Location”
Review of High Peaks Resort

High Peaks Resort
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Stayed at High Peaks with 2 kids over Presidents Day weekend. We had gone back and forth over which side of Hotel we wanted to stay in, newer side is almost double the price. We choose to save money and stay in the Lodge across the street and we all loved it. Money we saved easily payed for skiing. Had pool and exercise rooms to ourselves, didn't hear noise others spoke of. We stayed in room 608 which is in the middle, has a store room on one side and a hallway on the other, which meant no shared walls w/other guests. Hotel is right in downtown, walk to everything. Also with money saved did the Olympic Bobsled, worth every penny! Ate out all six nights, Adirondak Steak and Brewery had longest lines which attracted us but was far and away the worst meal we had, save time and go elsewhere. Milanos was the best, followed by Jimmy's.

There are newer reviews for High Peaks Resort

Reviewed 22 February 2010

A friend who lives in the area recommended this hotel to me and I have to say it was a wonderful hotel. The front desk staff was super helpful and the room exceeded my expectations. Great amenities, large bathroom (always a plus), free wi-fi and great flat screen TV. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Lake Placid.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2010

great place, beautiful rooms, great comfy beds, shower is awesome!! Loved every second of it...

Reviewed 10 February 2010

We were looking for a place to stay in Lake Placid that was convenient for skiing for my husband and kids, was within walking distance from the main village and had free access to Internet to work. Found a great deal on Expedia and with the recent reviews of the renovations it looked like a great place to stay and it was. The decor was very nice "nouveau Adirondack", the rooms were comfortable, the high speed worked well, they didn't charge for 1-800 calls, the kids loved the pool, we loved the hot tub and we enjoyed our breakfasts at the Dancing Bear. Once I checked out I was still able to use the business centre to do some work. On our last day we discovered we had a flat tire when I was about to drive my family to the ski hill. While I called AAA, the front desk alerted the garage who would get the call. They were there 20 minutes later, gave me enough air to drive to their garage and fixed the tire right away. I was back at the hotel in under half an hour - very impressive. Some other reviews complained about the hotel not being suitable if you can't walk down a hill but elevators are available to every level. The lobby with its fireplaces was also a comfortable place to read a book. We will definitely return

1  Thank familytraveller054
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I stayed here last year for the same conference, but was put in the "lower" building. Word to the wise, the lower building needed some work. The main building was splendid, however. The facility is clean and very comfortable. I'd stay again, but definitely in the main building!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Stayed here last year for a medical meeting. Great, large room with beautiful tile shower, large room, view of lake. This year checked in and was told my room is "across the street". Had to park across and down the street in a lot that is literally built over the top of the rooms, drag my suitcase down a flight of stairs to my room. Can see the lake but through the fence of the closed pool. Barking dogs from the dog sled rides given right in front on the lake. Can hear the cars and snow plows over head, plus I have to go out into the cold (it is currently 3 degrees out and windy) and snow to walk back and forth to the hotel for my conference. Fridge had leftover food from last tenant. Worse for my colleague, he was put across the street "in our sister motel". This place isn't even the High Peaks Resort, some kind of motor inn, not reburbished and stinks. The bathroom had several hairs left on tub and sink. Had to get the bathroom cleaned before he could use it. We both tried to get moved into the main hotel and were told over and over that the hotel is completely booked, that it depended on when we made our reservation (over a month ago). What BS. BEWARE of where your room is!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank hoteldiva2009
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Overall this a nice hotel. The room had a modern feel to it and was very clean. The bed was very comfortable and provided plenty of restful sleep. There was good control over the heat, which was needed given the ultra cold weather outside. Some nice items in the room were the HDTV, fridge and iHome radio/ipod dock alarm clock. Also, the bathroom was nicely sized and had a rain style shower and hand held sprayer.

Some negatives about the room would be that the pod style coffee maker was dirty and there were only two towels provided for 4 people... which leads to some problems with attention to detail at this hotel.

We called for additional towels shortly after checking in and were told they would be brought shortly. After a few hours, no towels. I walked to the front desk to get some and was told there was no housekeeping staff at night and they couldn't even give me any towels in person. Why do they need housekeeping staff to dispense towels? The attitude of the desk clerk was not very customer service oriented. In any case they said they would be brought in the morning around 6:30am. Guess what? No towels came. I again went to the desk and tried to pick up the towels. Nope, they would have housekeeping deliver them. Finally, we had towels brought to the room shortly after that. Overall, not a good experience with that request. Another request I had was for a tooth brush and paste since I forgot mine. They only had brushes, no paste. Not a big deal but it's the little things that matter. For example, their main revolving door was out of order leaving a narrow regular set of doors as the main entrance. There were tons of people trying to get in/out with their ski stuff and no one from the staff came to hold the doors open for people or offer any kind of assistance. I felt they could have done better.

There was at least one front desk person who was very nice and helpful, unfortunately I don't remember his name but he looked like he took his job seriously. Don't get me wrong, the staff isn't rude or anything but they just need to take it up a notch and pay closer attention to their guests needs.

Other things to note, there is free wifi but it was terribly slow from our room. The fitness center is great and has bottles of water and nice equipment. The lobby/bar area is also very nice with a fireplace and lots of places to sit and relax.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends