“Cozy, friendly inn with outstanding food”
Review of The Interlaken Inn

The Interlaken Inn
The Interlaken Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Cozy, friendly inn with outstanding food”
Reviewed 26 November 2007

After having dinner at the restaurant, we fell in love with the pub and the food and booked ourselves into the inn for one night. We had a fantastic experience - the room (Hibiscus) was very nice, the staff exceptionally friendly and the food was amazing - far and away the best food in Lake Placid. The pub is very cozy and has a fantastic pub menu (where we ate the second night). I would highly recommend to anyone coming to the area.

• Liked — Staff and food
  • Disliked — Hidden costs - gratuities added at checkout
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank esung

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Northeast, US
Reviewed 5 January 2007

This was our third weekend stay, and I must say that the place is going a little downhill. They seem to be focusing too much on the restaurant and not enough on the rooms.

We have stayed in a different room each time and I must warn you that the rooms vary significantly. Once we had a room that didn't have a TV! For this price you would expect that each room would at least have a TV. Not all of the rooms have phones either, which can be a pain if you want to ask questions of the front desk. Must be especially annoying to those on the third floor who must wander down a couple of flights of stairs to ask a simple question.

They have also instituted a rather annoying mandatory gratuity. This isn't always disclosed, but is on their website. They have a daily housekeeping gratuity, a daily breakfast gratuity and a mandatory gratuity on food and wine. Even when I signed for a beer in the bar and left a cash tip, I found an additional gratuity on my bill for that beer when I checked out! When you add in the very high NY taxes, you really get nickeled and dimed.

Most disturbing of all is the fact that the entire inn smelled faintly of sewage during our entire stay, including our room. I thought it was just us, but I see by the reviews that this isn't the first time. That alone is a deal killer for me as far as any future stays.

The food for breakfast was average. The orange juice was great. The wine selection at the bar is top notch and the pours generous. I'd recommend going in for a glass of wine or two, but that's about it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Sewage smell
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
8 Thank lawgod
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2006

My fiance and I stayed at this inn for a couple nights over Xmas in 2005 and had a very pleasant stay.

The inn itself is cozy and our room (the "English Country" room) was great -- large closet, cute balcony, nice bed. The hotel living room and bar are also very comfortable places to hang out. I spent some time reading in the main living room by the lit fireplace late one night and it was very cozy and relaxing. The breakfast food was excellent as well!

For Xmas dinner we had made a reservation at the appallingly horrific restaurant at the Mirror Lake Inn and sorely regretted it after seeing the Xmas dinner set up at Interlaken.

The only thing that wasn't great about the place was the lack of staff at points. The owners/managers, as pointed out in other reviews, are only on premises part of the week. Our last day there, after breakfast (and after we settled up) the inn was completely empty. It was a very strange feeling when the owner told us we could help ourselves to anything in the kitchen after she left.

Also when we arrived late at night after a 5 hr drive, we had to figure out how to get into the inn and where to leave our car.

None of this seriously detracted from our stay, but this inn would be better if there was a fulltime manager on premises.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank katgut
Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 September 2006

I just returned from a long weekend in Lake Placid and I loved this place. I ate there on Thursday night and then had to return on Friday and Saturday for more. The food is on par, if not better than, a lot of upscale restaurants in Los Angeles.

The pub at this place is my favorite part. I ate in there every night and met some nice people. If money were no object, I would seriously fly back there for the Buffalo Shrimp alone.

As for the reviewer who was creeped out by the chef, I don't know what the deal is with that. I talked with the chef and thought he was a friendly, mellow guy. Maybe the reviewer was not used to the laid back pace of upstate New York?

I didn't stay there so I can't comment on that.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank beachwood_bob
New York, NY
Reviewed 3 April 2006

I stayed at this hotel for three nights over New Year's with my fiance and booked another room for my parents as a Christmas gift. I have stayed at this Inn years ago under different ownership, and it was lovely. The Inn itself is beautiful and well located. Our experience, however, was so bad as to be laughable. When we checked in, the woman at the front desk initially told us there was no reservation and she had to look around for a good five minutes before giving us keys to the rooms. Our first night, we came home late and our room was freezing cold. There are no phones in the rooms to call the front desk, and it was late enought that no one was there to great us when we came in, so we figured we would wait until morning to address the problem. We literally had to put our fleece jackets and wool hats on in order to be warm enough to sleep. In the morning, the owner told us that there was "supposed to be" a space heater in the room because it is not properly insulated. We had to use the space heater the rest of our stay to keep the room warm, and were shocked that such an important detail was overlooked. Our second night was New Year's Eve. We came home around 12:30 a.m. and sat briefly in the livingroom to chat quitely with our family before going to bed. Someone came out, looked at us, turned out all of the lights and the music that was playing, and walked away. We laughed it off and went to bed. The next morning, our breakfast was horrible - burnt bacon and undercooked pancakes. We overheard the owner talking about how she had overbooked the Inn's restaurant on New Year's Eve and had to call locals and cancel their New Year's Even dinner reservations (!!!) We stayed one more night, and woke up in the morning to our room smelling like a sewer. The toilet looked fine, but we flushed it once, and it ran all over the floor. My parent's room's toilet would not flush at all that morning. We checked out with the owners running up the stairs to deal with the problem. I spent over $1,000 on three nights and two rooms - but was reluctant to ask for a refund because it was a holiday weekend and the owner seemed completely overwhelmed. But, a few weeks later I did ask for a refund of the first night's stay when we had no heat. The owner refused and pretended not to know anything about the fact that there was no space heater in the room or that one was required. I will never stay at the Inn again, and am extremely disappointed with the owner's lack of professionalism. I highly recommend looking for other lodging if you are going to be staying in Lake Placid.

• Stayed January 2006
19 Thank mec187
Reviewed 9 January 2006

My boyfriend and I stumbled into the Interlaken Inn (off the beaten path from downtown Lake Placid) based on a recommendation from the Brown Dog restaurant owners. We were still in ski gear and not dressed for the night...The Interlaken staff made us feel very at home, built a fire, gave us a drink and left us alone to enjoy the ambiance. They have nice dining rooms and a small, cozy bar with a pub menu. So quiet and romantic...We mistakenly ordered mac and cheese (delicious) AND cheese fondue....both were amazing but I don't suggest getting them in the same night! We didn't see the rooms, but the restaurant was great. The chef came out and chatted as well..very friendly and cozy.

1 Thank seg189
Garden City, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2005

My husband and I just returned from our vacation in Lake Placid and stayed at the Interlaken Inn. Overall it was clean and pleasant, but not entirely what we expected.

Our room was described as "spacious" but was a bit smaller than we expected; the website pictures made the room look bigger and much brighter than in reality. We had to pay an additional $10/day for housekeeping service, but did not receive a new set of clean towels each day. In addition, there were drinking glasses and glasses in the bathroom that were never replaced in the 5 days we stayed. There were no screens on the windows, so there was no way for us to enjoy the fresh Adirondack air. Although all of the windows had drapes, only one window had blinds but was missing from the other windows.

We like to stay at inns and bed & breakfasts for the ambiance and character as opposed to typical chain hotels. I think next time we'd prefer to stay at a hotel with room views of Mirror Lake. The Interlaken was not cheap - for the same amount of money or less we could have had a room with beautiful views of Mirror Lake.

In addition, the Interlaken Inn restaurant was satisfactory, but it did not blow us away. We were expecting outstanding food since the restaurant received a 2005 Award of Excellence from the Wine Spectator. Surprisingly, the food at the nearby Brown Dog Cafe and Wine Bar on Main Street was some of the best food we ever tasted --- and we've been to several top notch restaurants around the world!

• Stayed August 2005