“Perfection”
Review of Lake Placid Lodge

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Everything about our stay was fabulous; the staff, accommodations, activities... We stayed in an amazing cabin, had a roaring fire every day, and room service breakfast on our last day. Every staff member we met was friendly and attentive, and the attention to detail in all things was noteworthy. Linda, the concierge, made our stay extra special. I cannot remember feeling this welcome at a resort in a long time. I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants a room that is so gorgeous and comfortable that it is tough to leave, even when there are such compelling alternatives such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing (complimentary) right outside the front door. The purpose of our trip was rest and relaxation, and Lake Placid Lodge fits the bill perfectly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Dear SuzieQ1001,

Thank you for joining us in one of our cabins, and for writing such a lovely review. When we hear that your stay was just what the doctor ordered, we are all truly gratified. I know you mentioned Linda specifically, and I would just like to add my own personal gratitude to Linda. She is like the Lodge Mom, she genuinely wants nothing more then your comfort and happiness. I will go over and thank her personally.

With much gratitude, we hope to welcome you back to the Lodge soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

Cannot say enough good stuff about this place. Where do i start? The amazing food? The view? Room? The staff?
As my fiancee says: the lodge is luxury meets country generosity. The lodge staff brought me to horsebackriding 20 miles away, picked me up with hot chocolate. As my dog ate the chocolate raisins(the place is pet friendy thank the lord) and needed an emergency trip to the vet, they were waiting outside called to the vet ahead and 20 minutes later my dog was safe. A staff member waited with me throughout it all. Late checkout? No problem. They upgraded the guests that were suppose to arrive to my room to another room so we can stay. The bartender Laurie and steve the waiter are the sweetest, and the golden retriever maggie such a doll!!!! Thank you Lodge! Well be back.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Monster1982
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear Monster1982,

Thank you so much for your kind review, and for joining us at the Lake Placid Lodge. We are thrilled that Monster is doing ok. We knew that was a scary moment, and just happy that it all worked out. I would like to also thank you for referencing the staff’s care and concern. We have a group of staff that I feel personally so fortunate to work with. The staff is completely dedicated to taking care of our guests, and your taking note of that will be loved by all.

We look forward to being able to welcome you both back, and of course, monster soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We have been staying at the lodge on and off for years. The location, views and environment are incomparable. The lodge which was rebuilt after the fire in 2005 is a valient attempt to recreation the adirondack style on a larger scale. The Hudson valley collection is a lovely addition. The main attraction is the great camp feel achieved by the authentic decor, the location, the relaxed but attentive staff and the overall feel of providing whatever will make the guest happy. Maggie's pub is gem--great ambiance, fabulous drinks and bartender. The food at artisians and the pub is varied and well prepared and the service is excellent. However, of late, some unfortunate choices have dulled this unique adirondack experience. First, the decision to allow children to stay is a disappointment. Further, there is a sense that the business is king instead of the customer. Although the staff is very accommodating and attentive, management Gdoesn't seem to be at the same level. There seems to be little management presence and what there is is perfunctory. An unfortunate sense of more attention to the bottom line than to the guest is evident in recent decisions, refund policies, ammenities and even in reducing the size of portions to the point of absurdity. Although i would highly recomment a stay as I love the lodge and the staff, i am frustrated with a certain slippage I've noticed. I hope it's turning around.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nan D

Dear Nan D,

Thank you so much for visiting the Lodge again. We are sorry that the decision to welcome guests of all ages on your weekend was not to your liking and that you felt there was slippage in the way we were managing the Lodge. Please know that your comments are heard, and that we will make sure that we maintain a higher profile. We do completely understand your position. We do occasionally open the Lodge to guests of all ages, and if perhaps you were not accustomed to that, it could understandably feel different. We are thrilled that you are still very happy with the manner in which you are served and taken care of by our staff. The entire team is dedicated to your complete enjoyment of the Lodge, and to your ability, if for just a couple of days, to put the stresses of the world aside.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back, please let me know if there is anything I can do to be of assistance.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We loved the Lake Placid Lodge. It was a somewhat last-minute trip, as we'd had some family issues that required us to cancel our full vacation. We'd been interested in the Lodge for quite some time and thought it would just the thing to salvage our few remaining vacation days. Boy, were we right.

We visited a couple of weeks before Christmas and the place was beautifully and tastefully decorated. We arrived as it had begun to snow (!!) so were treated to a full winter-wonderland. Upon arriving we were immediately offered a lovely glass of sparkling wine in front of the roaring fire as we checked in. Wow! Talk about hitting all the right notes right out of the gate!

A gracious staff member showed us around the lodge and then to our fantastic lake-front cabin. There was an adorable pine tree decorated with lights just outside the door and with the snow the little cottage looked like something out of a fairytale.

Our stay was so restful and memorable. We enjoyed building fires in our cabin's wood-burning (yaay!) fireplace and were thrilled when the hotel offered us S'Mores kits and kept that firewood piled high! The bed was super-comfy and we could hear ducks quacking now and then during the night, which made us feel truly away-from-it-all. The cabin's large picture window along the lake-side wall offered tremendous views during the day.

My only suggestion re: the room would be to rethink the bathroom lighting. When we first got there the bathroom wall sconces were equipped with CFL bulbs that were too long for the shades. The result was an unpleasant glare. (The staff traded them out for incandescent bulbs, which I greatly appreciated). I'm all for energy conservation but one needs to consider lighting fixtures very carefully when using CFLs. Perhaps different shades would do the trick.

We ate all our meals at the hotel. Breakfast (included) was terrific and hearty. A great way to start the day. We actually didn't need much by way of lunch afterwards! On two of the nights we ate in the pub and the last night in the formal dining room. The food was fabulous in both places. There were a couple of issues with temperature control at the pub (a pasta coming out lukewarm; a steak dish arriving well done rather than medium) but the flavors were spectacular. The hotel's chef is truly a genius and we were extremely impressed by his talent.

We also enjoyed some lovely cocktails at the pub--Laurie can sure mix things up! I especially loved a spicy pumpkin martini with marshmallow fluff on top (which Laurie torched to give it that yummy toasted flavor. Yowza!)

The lodge itself is simply stunning. It is clear that all the staffers take tremendous pride in the place, and this shows in all the details. Everything is beautifully kept. We loved the indoors and we loved the outdoors (especially the fire pit!). There are cozy nooks everywhere, and wood-burning fireplaces inside and out. The hotel does not allow kids except during certain weeks (we happened to be there during a 'kids' week) so it really is a great choice for a quiet, romantic getaway. We were already talking about planning a return trip as we grudgingly made our way back to NYC.

This place is truly heavenly. We'll be back.

Room Tip: If you can swing a lakeside cabin, it is well worth it. But we look forward to trying other rooms as...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear NYC_Cricket,

THANK YOU! What a thoughtful lovely review. We have shared your review with the staff – and are as you suggested, rethinking bathroom lighting in our cabins. While we have shared your review with the staff, I am going to thank Lori personally – not only is she is a wonderful bartender, but she is just a wonderful lady. We are grateful to her and the rest of the team for their genuine care for our guests.

Thank you so much NYC_Cricket, your review made my day. We look forward to welcoming back to The Lodge.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

The property is beautiful, the staff are very nice, but I'm amazed at the total lack of attention to detail, and the the use of hidden fees by such a property. The 2 responses I provided when asked to write a review by the Relais & Chateaux chain and by the hotel itself is pasted below. Sadly, I am guessing because I wrote to them privately, no one ever bothered to respond to me.

Also, I am amazed to read reviews here which mentioned amenities for a dog! I paid a total of $300 plus tax for my dog to stay and received nothing. I had no idea what to do with the waste - no outdoor garbage cans or even dumpsters about. A few times I drove it to the main street where I could find a garbage can, a few times I buried it and a few times I bagged it and left it by the front door of my cabin, hoping someone would take it away - no one did.

What I sent to the hotel:

This was our second stay at the Lake Placid Lodge, and the property is even more beautiful than before. The staff was very gracious and everyone helpful.

Unfortunately, I was frankly appalled upon seeing on my bill at checkout a "resort fee" of $117/day (plus tax on this fee totaling $126.07/day). The email I was sent on 14 Sep 12 stated regarding my room rate of $975/night: "Rate is per room per night - Subject to taxes and service. Rate includes a made to order daily breakfast, Housekeeping and nightly turndown service - Includes all activities on property."

It then breaks down the taxes and service to be $464.60 for a total stay cost of $4,832.60. Unfortunately, I never thought that the Lake Placid Lodge would be so dishonest and I did not add up the $975/day that was itemized for each day and add in the $464.60 of taxes and services listed to realize that the total amount quoted ($4832.60) was $468 higher than the total should have been. (And in reality - I was charged $36.28 more than that). The amount charged also doesn't include the dog fee and tax on the dog fee - which totaled $323.24 so if I noticed any excess, I would have attributed it to this as the $75 fee was mentioned later in the email.

I cannot fathom why a resort with such high credentials would do something so underhanded as to not list out this resort fee when the reservation was made. $126.07/day is NOT a trivial amount of money. And why would you specifically state that the room rate included all activities on the property (of which we used none, by the way) if it was not, and if you can list the estimated taxes, why wouldn't this resort fee be itemized as well? I have stayed at >40 R&C properties around the world, and I have never seen anything as remotely blatantly fraudulent as this before. I know that other resorts pull this trick (usually for resort fees 20% as much as you are charging!), but for a R&C property to do this is unbelievable.

I did not say anything at checkout, as it had been over 3 months since I made the reservation and I did not remember if I had been told about a resort fee or not. After arriving home, I looked up the email confirmation I was sent.

Also, as a Club 5C member, I was disappointed in this service. On the website, the amenities are supposed to include a welcome letter from the GM, a welcome bottle of champagne, a complementary lunch and passes to the Olympic sites. Nothing was provided. The day after check-in, I called and asked and they said they would bring the package down. Someone arrived at the room and brought a pre-printed paper saying the 5C package includes a welcome letter, a bottle of champagne and a private boat tour. And that's it - the piece of paper. So I went to the front desk and explained that there was no letter or bottle of champagne and the lake was frozen. They didn't know what to do, but said they'd look into it. About an hour later, I was brought the bottle of champagne and letter and told we would get 2 passes to the Olympic attractions and explained a bit about it. I thanked her, opened the letter (which was bizarrely not addressed to anyone) and just the welcome note was in there - no passes. At this point, I gave up and didn't mention anything again.

When we checked out, I was told that we were credited one of our food and beverage charges as 5C members. However, upon checking our bill later, all three F&B charges were there and no credit was given.

Overall, it seemed as if more senior supervision was needed at the Lodge. While everyone was very pleasant, I never once saw the GM or anyone else checking on guests or how things were running in the restaurant, etc. Especially on a busy holiday weekend (where you are charging even more than usual....), this would be expected.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Julie P
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Julie P,

Thank you for joining us again, and for taking the time to write a review of the Lake Placid Lodge. What the Lake Placid Lodge is about, how it feels and that you leave feeling that you were genuinely cared for is entirely my responsibility. I apologize again for the gaps and the missed opportunities to recognize that your stay was not going according to plan, nor was it on a par with what you should have expected. As I explained on the telephone, we were unacceptably unaware of your plight, and certainly would not have intentionally ignored it. I should have done better.

While I can appreciate that you have very strong feelings with respect to the resort fees. And, I understand why you feel that way, given the specific circumstances of your reservation, I do recognize the public nature of this forum, and respectfully, do not share your characterizations of that aspect of your experience. This does not at all mitigate our lost opportunities to recognize your importance to us, or excuse our shortcomings as they related to your membership in Club 5C, or the provision of the appropriate pet amenities. We will strive to do better in the future.

As we have spoken since the posting of your review, I again hope to welcome you back, and offer my personal assistance for future visits.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Recently stayed here for a weekend that they were allowing children (usually its an adult only resort except a few special times a year or if you rent out the whole resort).

We stayed in a two bedroom cabin directly on the lake. Couldnt have been any better. Each night we received an in room treat, as well as smores and a fireplace burning warmly. Not a place for the light on wallet, but worth the cash if you are looking to splurge for a special trip, or if you just have it like that :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelingDad3
LodgeGeneralManager, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear TravelingDad3,

Thank you for choosing the Lake Placid Lodge for your weekend stay. We are very grateful for your kind review. We know that the impact of firsthand experience is tremendously important to guests, particularly those that have not visited before. – We are grateful! I am happy you enjoyed the two-bedroom cabin on the lake. There are as you know just a couple of the two-bedroom cabins, both just a few feet from the water’s edge. And, we are always thrilled by how many of our guests just love roasting smores over the bonfire at night, and are happy you enjoyed doing so too.

We do hope you will join us again.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

My husband and I had a lovely night at the lake Placid Lodge in the bar restaurant called Maggies. The food was delicious, the decor was warm and interesting with a $36,000 adirondack chair. Stephen,our waiter was so interested in providing a great experience for us he arranged a meeting for me to talk to the pastry chef about the delicious pear crisp we had. Terrific evening!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear ann_the_roller,

Thank you for visiting us for the evening. I know just a short stay, but I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I am headed to Maggie’s Pub, and will thank Stephen for making sure you had a great experience. Stephen genuinely wants to make sure that everyone that visits Maggie’s Pub is individually made to feel at home.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back soon.