“Slipping...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Norwich, Vermont
“Slipping...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lake Placid is my favorite place in the world. And I have always enjoyed staying at the Lodge, despite the staggering cost. In the past, service has been top notch, but lately - since the new management took over - things have been slipping. The fine level of attention to detail is missing. It used to be that the staff anticipated a guest's every need in an unobtrusive and friendly way - you felt as if they were old friends. The staff seemed like a well-oiled machine. That is no longer the case. Frankly, it's making me think twice about paying such a high tariff.

Certain members of the staff deserve extra high marks, namely Beverly in Reservations and Ernie of buildings & grounds & the waterfront. Those two are worth their weight in gold. Please give them raises and make sure you retain them as they are what Relais & Chateaux hotels are all about. Other members of the staff are also good - a couple members of the wait staff in particular (sorry I didn't get names).

But over all, service has declined. At best, it can be described as inconsistent and haphazard. Housekeeping didn't come until late afternoon one day, and came twice before we were even dressed another (and we were dressed by 9:00 AM). One day they cleaned the room and inadvertently took a personal item with them - a completely understandable mistake, but I think with the right oversight, it wouldn't have happened. We ordered the same breakfast 3 times in a row; presentation was quite different each time. Not a big deal, but it just seemed so random. Also, one day breakfast dishes were never cleared until late in the afternoon, and only after we made a request, and on another day didn't get cleared until our lunch arrived. Maggie's Pub menu is very limited and never seems to change. The food is also only so-so. Both lunch and supper service were pretty rough. Lots of seemingly unhappy, uncertain, dismal members of the waitstaff. Finally, I was so sad to walk down to the dock one day and find empty cocktail glasses sitting on posts, and swizzle sticks and cigarette butts littering the grounds. Really spoiled the lovely Adirondack lake view.

Our one meal at Artisan's was really, really good. Presentation beautiful. The table service was terrific. Very professional. We had to wait a bit for a table (understandable as we had no dinner reservation), but there were many empty-but-uncleared tables and 4 members of the staff (three of them young men in suits) kind of hanging out at the maitre d's stand, doing I-don't-know-what. I couldn't figure out why they didn't jump in and just clear those tables.

I think this is all a case of a lack of training and supervision. I'm sure it's hard to find professional waitstaff, etc. But management needs to step up if they are going to charge upwards of $1,000 a night. The team doesn't seem to communicate with each other the way they used to and the on-site management is either inexperienced, absent or not paying the right kind of attention.

I hope the Lodge can get back to its former level of great service. The setting is sublime and we'd love to try it again. And if Relais & Chateaux sends in a secret lodger, you may lose your designation.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong -- all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelGuideReader
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear TravelGuideReader,
Thank you for providing your review on Tripadvisor. Please know our housekeeping team begins the day at 9am and services rooms all day long, we are happy to provide service at a specific time for you when requested. In an effort to improve, I have shared your comments personally with our housekeeping team
However, it does appear there were more positive aspects of your stay, I am glad you experienced our Lake Placid Lodge hospitality from Beverly, Ernie and "other members" whom you didn't recall specifically. Please know I have shared those positive comments directly with the team. We look forward to your return to the Lodge!

Brian Hunt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did not visit as guests; spectacular lunch preceded by golf at lovely golf course. Lunch was excellent!
Beautiful property with many amenities. Décor is gorgeous in true warmth of Adirondack style.
Truly upscale accommodations; echoes the spirit of the grand old great camps of the Adirondacks!
We certainly plan to visit again and stay on the property!
(check out the Lexus owner perks!)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear NanNY17_11,
Thank you for providing your review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your lunch! We hope you are able to return soon and stay overnight with us and truly experience all of the charm our Lodge has to offer. Don't forget to ask about the additional benefits for Lexus owners!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Sooooo good, doesn't even cut it, if I was a wordsmith I could tell you about the view, or the atmosphere, the attention to details of food presentation and caring staff and suggestions for wines, so just go and enjoy it all.
My daughters 21st birthday was all the better for going.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jan H
Dear Jan H,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear you had such a memorable Birthday party with us! We hope to see you back for the next one.

All the Best,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This is a special property BUT the relatively new ownership is not doing a great job catering to existing clientele relative to rates, specials etc. The management staff on site, front desk etc has improved. Hats off to Beverly who should be promoted. The restaurant staff still suffers from inexperience but the food seems to be slightly better than last time. Maybe.

OWNERS: make no mistake- you need to do a better job in attracting and motivating talent. 4 years ago the place was more expensive and it was also more occupied. SERVICE!!

Whoever is interfacing with the staff from headquarters should be fired. Folks are missing the giddiness that comes with working at a place you love. This is a special place - don't screw it up.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank NYSojourner
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear NYSojourner,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we truly appreciate your comments. You are so right about what a special property we have, and our team truly enjoys sharing our "home" with all who stay with us.
I am delighted to hear of your recommendation for Beverly, she like all of our Lake Placid Lodge employees are committed to ensuring the finest experience for all of our guests. I have personally shared your comments with her.
Additionally, please know our ownership group is fully committed to maintaining our intimate charm that we are known for and many return guests have come to expect. I encourage you to contact me directly when planning your return visit to the Lake Placid Lodge.

Johnstown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Lake Placid Lodge for the second time. Both stays were 4 nights and both times it was in February. Both times, the purpose of the visit was snow sports (downhill skiing at Whiteface and cross-country skiing and snowshoeing around Lake Placid).

We just love this place. It is warm and inviting. I reviewed our stay two winters ago. What I can do here is contrast the different experience staying in a lakeside cabin (this visit) versus staying within the main lodge (last visit). Two years ago, we stayed in the Treetop room in the main lodge. We loved the unique character of that room. We also, in general, love the rustic, Adirondack style. Lake Placid Lodge is a perfect representation of that style.

This time, we stayed in a cabin by the lake (Mt. Marble). It was warm and cozy. Firewood is continuously replenished to be used for a real wood fire within your cabin (same holds true, actually, for the Treetop room as well in the main lodge). There was a small refrigerator and sink in a small closet. We kept some cheese, crackers and wine in that area for the couple of evenings that we needed a break from large restaurant meals out.

Everything within our cabin was high quality. There was a separate living area which you enter from the outside. The bedroom is separate, with a door separating it from the living area. The fireplace is only in the living area. The bathroom is off of the bedroom. The shower was large and nice, with good water pressure and plenty of hot water. There also was a soaking tub in the bathroom. The motif was Adirondack rustic with actual twigs and branches attached to the ceiling and upper portions of the walls in places.

The nice thing about staying in the main lodge is being able to walk to breakfast or dinner without ever going outside. This is nice in the cold winter weather. This is just a minor disadvantage to the Lakeside Cabins. There is a covered walkway that leads all the way to the lodge, so you are not trudging through snow to get there. But, it is cold. The cabins, perhaps, are more private. But, we felt a great deal of privacy in the Treetop room in the main lodge as well. Other rooms in the main lodge may not have the same degree of privacy. I do not know.

The food is consistently outstanding at Lake Placid Lodge, as you would expect from a member of Relais and Chateaux. The daily breakfast, included in the overnight room rate, is always consistently excellent. Dinner at Artisans, the high-end restaurant within Lake Placid Lodge, was also excellent (true now, true on our visit two years ago as well).

The staff is consistently cheerful and helpful. They gave us excellent advice about trails in the area around Lake Placid that were good for cross-country skiing or snowshoeing. We did some cross-country skiing right close to the Lodge. We then drove to a recreation area just outside of town, Adirondack Park, and went snowshoeing on the Marcy Dam trail. The trail was too technical for us to tackle on cross-country skis, but good for snowshoeing. Whiteface was its usual icy self (unfortunately). But, we had a great trip overall to Lake Placid. When the lodging is this nice, it can compensate for less than perfect snow or weather conditions. You can have a great time just enjoying the property and grounds and great food at Lake Placid Lodge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank HiddenGem2010
Brian H, General Manager at Lake Placid Lodge, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear HiddenGem2010,
Thank you so much for your review. February is a great time to visit us with so many outdoor activities to choose from and most just a short step outside your door. Again thanks for the review and we hope to see you soon!

Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent three nights at the LPL, staying in a lakefront cabin. This was our second time staying at the Lodge, our first being in mid-September 2001. Our experience 13 years ago was truly special, which we attributed to the personalized service that began the moment we walked in the door. While the tranquility and beauty of the setting along Lake Placid will forever remain remarkable, the personal touches and special feel about this resort has taken a step back from what it used to be.

To begin with the housekeeping showed standards below those of a Relais & Chateau property. Our cabin floor was not swept, revealing some type of white powder all over, dirty wine glasses were not cleared away, and there was some medication left in the wet bar by housekeeping on our second day. All of this is not a big deal, but just noticeable departures from a high standard of service.

At breakfast one morning, we watched one maintenance staff member in a cabin balcony scolding a colleague on the lawn below. We could hear everything, as they were shouting to hear each other from their distance. Again, not a big deal but well managed staff would never have done this in such a public setting.

Lastly, we noticed that, overall, the staff seemed inexperienced and disinterested, the exceptions being Lori the remarkable bartender, Katie at the front desk who helped us plan some great hikes, and Ernie who enlightened us on his lake tour.

We definitely plan on returning to LPL down the road, as it's just too beautiful to not enjoy. We hope that the new ownership will, in time, restore or recreate the character that the Lake Placid Lodge was known for.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Christine L
Dear Christine L,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. While I am very disappointed to hear we did not live up to your expectations from previous stays, please know I truly appreciate you sharing your feedback. I have personally shared your comments with the entire team and I do hope you will contact me directly when planning your next visit so I may assist in every way possible.

Best Regards,
Stowe, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I wanted to find a really special place where our three boys and I could bring my husband to celebrate his 50th. I booked this trip based on the Trip Advisor reviews, and I am so glad I did. This is such a unique, special property, and the staff went out of their way to make the trip a memorable one. When we entered the property, Beverly promptly greeted us with mimosas and a tour. The box lunch I had requested was waiting for us and then we were treated to a private hacker craft tour (which I also arranged ahead of time). John, who drove the boat, shared his extensive knowledge of the area with us, and we had a better appreciation of just how special Lake Placid is thanks to him. We spent our days enjoying the water and using the kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, SUPs, and fishing poles that they have readily available for guests to use (we never did get around to using the mountain bikes). Even our three teenage boys appreciated what a special place this is, and they willingly "unplugged" (no TV in the cabin was great) to fully enjoy everything LPL has to offer. It was fun to see our boys so excited over the little things, like seeing what yummy snack was going to be brought to our cabin each day and what type of cookie was going to be left at turndown.
We stayed in Buck Cabin, which I highly recommend for families. It is the only cabin with a private deck and they just recently installed a hot tub on the deck. Our oldest son loved waking up early and fly fishing right on the water outside our cabin. Our boys loved swimming in the lake and then jumping in the hot tub to warm up.
I also highly recommend having at least one four-course meal at the Artisans restaurant. . . it is an experience you won't forget. I had arranged for two meals there, one as a date night with just my husband and one with the whole family, and I was a little concerned that the limited menu might make two nights in a row too much. That wasn't the case at all. They change their menu often, and we were easily able to find two different sets of four-courses to order that made both dinners unique. The food is beautifully presented, they offer some unique game meats, and the atmosphere and view are unforgettable. We all enjoyed every bite. Also, Stephen, the sommelier, made wonderful wine recommendations for us. He didn't jump to a higher priced bottle but rather recommended two bottles that were unique but not outrageous in price.
Breakfast is included in the stay, and it is wonderful. Our waitress the first night recommended that we call in the morning to have coffee and pastries delivered to the cabin. That was a great recommendation. We did that each morning and then took our time meandering up to have our full breakfast in the main lodge (you can also have that delivered to your cabin, but we enjoyed eating on the lodge deck).
Our whole experience at LPL was amazing, and I know this is one family trip that will always be remembered. It was worth every penny to be able to give my husband and boys fond memories that they will always have of the time we spent together celebrating his 50th.

Room Tip: Buck Cabin is the only cabin with a deck and hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank FondueMom
Dear FondueMom,
Wow, Thank you for such a glowing review! We are delighted that we were a part of such a special occasion for you and your family and even more delighted to hear of what special memories the Lodge will hold for you. I am so glad so many different members of our team helped create these memories, please know I have personally shared your comments with everyone. We hope to see you for that next special occasion!