“Nice Place, Unfriendly Host”

Spruce Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 13 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2009

We stayed at the Spruce Lodge over a long winter weekend and were disappointed with the host. She was not friendly and made the atmosphere uncomfortable. We were particularly upset when the she checked us out before we had left the bed and breakfast. The last morning of our stay we went for an early morning hike around Lake Placid. When we returned the host looked very surprised to see us as she had assumed we already checked out - she had already run our card - even thought it was well before the check out time. We felt that we had to leave immediately as she appeared ready to clean out our room (in hall with supplies).

However, we thought the room and the facility was great and enjoyed our stay overall. I would recommend the bed and breakfast with the caveat not to expect too much for the host. Additionally, breakfast is very basic and primarily consists of cereal.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WinterSeeker

Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed in one of the townhouse units. A very good set up for a family. 3 bedrooms that can sleep 6, 2 full bathrooms, living room/dining room and full kitchen. All rooms spacious and very clean. Location is about 1/2 mile from the main part of Main Street. Cats mentioned in other posting are not an issue with the Townhouses.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2008

This BnB's main attraction for us was the price and location. It was close enough to the main street for us to walk into town for sight seeing and meals yet didn't carry the high costs of so many other places in this small town. The room was clean, quiet and well prepared. The host was friendly and efficient. My only comment is that breakfast started at 8 am. This should be moved to 7 or even earlier. 8 is a bit of a late start when one wants to get on the road. On the other side, the breakfast was good but and adequate. If I return to LP I will certainly stay here again and would have no problems recommending it to anyone.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank CanadianTraveller-01
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We (2 couples) just stayed in one of the townhouses (#11) at Spruce Lodge. We were warmly welcomed and found the owners very accommodating (e.g. let us go in well before the normal check-in time). The townhouse was great, very homey, very clean and very, very well supplied. It is located close to downtown, right on the trolley circuit, yet we found it very quiet, with a lovely quiet pond behind the townhouse. The price was also less than many other rental townhouses, homes and condos. No question, I am recommending it to my friends, and when we come back we will definitely try to stay there.
Paul

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cpmcd52
Reviewed 3 August 2008

My husband and I stayed here a couple of years ago. We have family in Lake Placid so go there often. It was short notice, so we ended up someplace new rather than one of our usual places.

Pros: Our room was nice, it had a rustic Adirondack feel and was set away from the hubub. The price was reasonable and rooms were available on the weekend with no notice.

Cons: I disliked that the cats had the run of the place (didn't know that when booking it!). It would be fine if they stayed in the owner's rooms, or even just in the common area but they were persistent and bent on coming in our room. I like cats but my husband has allergies so it was annoying. Like others, we noticed that the family dominates the living area so don't even think of relaxing there! I would not say these folks were in any way rude, but perhaps not savvy in the needs and desires of travellers.

Overall, this place needs a few tweeks to be a really great value. Properly managed, this could be a great place to stay.

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Pamela1172
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My husband and I stayed there after a business trip October 2006. I would have written sooner but I had no idea this review system existed until doing research for another trip.
We stayed there without reservations,saw the sign and pulled in. The owner was very pleasant. We asked to see the room and the other facilities and she had no problem accommedating our request. This was first time we had stayed at a B&B so we weren't sure what to expect.
It was clean. I found the family and the cats to be most friendly. I love cats so they did not cause me to have any second thoughts. It was close to the highway, but we knew that when we pulled in, they didn't try to hide it. Besides once the traffic calmed down(normal highway times) the place was quiet. The owner gave us very good ideas for lunch and dinner, both of which were excellant.
What folks need to realize is when you stay at a B&B you become part of that traveling family for the time you are there. Sure, breakfast will be noisey but that's the whole part of the B&B experience. My first B&B experience was very pleasant thanks to these folks and the families we shared the common areas with. I would go there again and recommend this to my friends.
Thanks

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Very comfortable. The family who owns this B&B is very friendly and helpful. When my finace and I mentioned we were going to climb Whiteface, another family said that it may be closed because they saw a sign about a bike race the owner called the mountain and checked the website for us to see if it was open. This place was clean and quiet and was half the price of most other places. Plus it includes breakfast which consisted of cereal, oatmeal, fresh breads, bagles granola bars, milk, oj, coffee... We were very happy staying here! There is no A/C but we found it to be comfortable at night with the windows open and the fan on. The only problem was that with the windows open we could hear cars passing by in the morning and couldn't sleep too late. Next time I would bring some earplugs. We were in town for a wedding and everyone else who stayed at the Crowne Plaza was wishing they stayed where we had. It's close to everything.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple