“Good alternative to camping”
Review of Adirondak Loj

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Placid
Adirondak Loj
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed in the loft, using the 3-day midweek special that includes food. Overall, a very positive experience. Negative: A little on the pricy side for the accommodations - co-ed bunkroom, bathroom down the hall. Adequate cleanliness in the bunkroom, really not very clean but better than a tent! Just don't expect a hotel experience. Positive: people were respectful about noise at night (and they provide earplugs), location can't be beat for trail access, good and plentiful food served family-style so you meet your fellow lodgers, and the lack of TV in the common room means you either read or interact with others (both good!). I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you think it's going to be a low-populated time (i.e. mid-week in the spring/early summer), g...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 March 2013

If you want to be in the heart of the High Peaks this is the place to be! It's a warm and welcoming lodge with all the basics. I have stayed in the bunk room many times and also in a private room and enjoyed both experiences. It sits on beautiful Heart Lake with a trail system right outside your door. The food is served family style or buffet and they will do their best to cater to special dietary needs if you give the chef a heads up in advance. I enjoy meeting new people and sharing stories about the mountains at meal time. I don't want to say too many nice things for fear it will become too popular...LOL!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Great place to stay especially if you don't like backpacking but want easy access to trailheads for many of the high peaks and other beautiful places to hike. Food is good & plentiful. Acoustics leave a little to be desired, so if you are sensitive to sounds while sleeping it will be a tough place for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed at the ADK loj for the first time in early March- perfect location to start an early hike in the morning (the breakfast was delicious as well!). We had a private room- small but clean. The only downside is that the walls are really thin, you can hear your neighbors cough or speak at night. I was impressed at how clean the lodge was- I was expecting something more camp-like but we were provided with toiletries, clean towels and the shared bathrooms were impeccable. The common room was cozy, with the moose and the fire. ;)

I would definitely return- however, I find the price a bit high but by reading the Loj history, they have been in some financial troubles so I guess...that explains the 179$ night. (And the fact that we only stayed one night!)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stayed at the ADK Loj for the first time early December for one of the ADK Mountain Club's educational courses. Always stayed in the wilderness campground or back country in a tent or lean-to for the past 22 years, so this was a treat. Staff were great - really client focused. Supper, breakfasts and trail lunch were hearty, nutritious and tasty. Enjoyed conversations with other guests around the huge fireplace and had the 12-bed Loft all to myself for two nights, overlooking Heart Lake. Would highly recommend this stay to others.

Room Tip: For privacy, make sure to ask for a private room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

First, to be clear you are staying at a mountain lodge that is not exactly trying to get to hotel standards but a base for outdoor minded folk, so you are paying for the situation and a 'mountain lodge' feel. So if thats what you want then this is a great experience. I have been to the lodge twice, once before trip advisor even existed and once recently in September, I stayed one night with my wife and a friend. Nothing much has changed between those two trips many years apart, so it's a consistent experience! The lodge by the lake is a magical experience. However you pay for this, the price to service and quality ratio I believe is on the high side, this is not 'good value' but you have to go with that. Similarly the food is really very average but 'fills you up'. I guess you could say again it is only a mountain lodge and to be fair you are only paying 19 dollars for a 3 course meal! So if you go along in the right frame of mind (think a very nice Youth Hostel if this was the UK, with more a large catering feel to dinner and breakfast, a shared bathroom, but in a wonderful situation) and you don't mind paying over the odds for that situation then this is a great place to stay. But do not expect it to be a hotel, it isn't, and I don't think it is sold like that either, I still enjoy going there for a night, but wouldn't stay for a long period, kind regards, Jim

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimboBristol
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This was my fourth trip to the Adriondak Loj; my second trip with my family. The location and outdoor experience could not be better. Situated perfectly for high peaks day hikes, the loj provides an excellent breakfast, a beautiful lake to swim in after a day's hike, and a Great Room filled with interesting and friendly people.

Unfortunately, the loj is sorely lacking in customer service. The environmental staff was wonderful, but the rest of the staff was distant and even rude. During my four trips, no staff member ever went out of their way to treat us like actual customers instead of adolescent campers. After booking a room for my family (myself, my wife and two sons ages 11 and 9) seven months in advance, I was told we had too many people in our room (even though we had rented the same room three years before.) They wanted us to split up and have two of us sleep in bunks in the large bunk house. I refused, but when checking out, they added an additional $140 to the bill. The person checking me out would not print off a copy of the bill before I paid, and I could not see it on his computer. He treated me with rude disrespect as if I had planned to cheat the hotel somehow.

The loj has a corner on the outdoor market in the Lake Placid area, and those who run it seem to feel no need to make customers feel wanted or comfortable.

Room Tip: Request a private room instead of a bunk in a bunk room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family