“Outstanding stay in suite 9”
Review of The Haus

The Haus
Ranked #3 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Let me just start out stating that I am by far the pickiest hotel guest. I was beyond impressed and satisfied with my stay here. My husband and I stayed in suite 9 for a weekend ski trip. Not only was the suite well heated and well decorated when we arrived. The bathroom was sparkling clean and well stocked with Aveda products. Our location was impressive, we were literally downtown of all the amazing restaurants and lake access. We decided to take a lovely walk across the frozen lake and it was maybe 7 or 8 steps from our door. I was worried that I would hear noise from town (since I am a light sleeper) I heard NOTHING. I had to purchase some last minute gifts and to my surprise the lobby had many beautiful affordable items, which they offered to gift wrap! The staff also gave us a coupon to the ADK steak and seafood which was conveniently across the street along with a lovely movie theatre. Can't wait to stay here again in the summer!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lbeanster

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I just returned from a 4 night stay in Unit 5 of the Haus, which is a two bedroom (2 queen size beds), well appointed unit. It was perfect for our four night family getaway. Highlights: full kitchen with everything needed to cook basic family meals, nice sized LR/DR to hang out, well heated, modern bathroom with jetted tub, and quiet. I loved the modern design and it was very very clean (a very important aspect of any stay to me). Everything looked new and recently painted. THe building is right across from Great Adirondack Brewing Co (a plus for beer aficionados!) and right on Mirror Lake. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. The one downside is they don't have parking in the building (which makes sense, it would be impossible) and parking in the town of Lake Placid can be difficult. However, the owners make parking permits available for nearby municipal lots (there is a small charge, but you should get it!). Note that the building does not have elevators - not a problem for me but just a note to be aware. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor in Unit 5, and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and i stayed here for a joint birthday getaway weekend. The hotel is a boutique style hotel, but with full working kitchen. It is basically a well designed, furnished one bedroom apartment. The best part is the balcony which is just off the main living area and kitchen. We sat here every night watching the moon over the lake, and every morning watching the sunrise. this alone is worth the price of the rental. The bedroom was large and very clean and comfortable. As the is the bathroom with a soaking tub, There is also a fireplace in the living area, for those colder mountain nights. Most may not want a kitchen while on vacation, but it was a great addition. We were able to keep wine and beer cold, plus we had room for snacks and leftovers from our numerous meals around Lake Placid. The staff were very friendly and helpful, from check in to check out. The Haus is very conveniently located on the water front in down town Lake Placid. Very close to numerous bars, restaurants, shops and spas. The Haus is one of our favorite hotels at ANY location. Very modern, yet still keeping with the Adirondack themes. Wonderful!

Room Tip: Waterfront without a doubt
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just got back from our anniversary weekend in Lake Placid, Stayed at The Haus for the first time and we were extremely pleased with the huge, clean, fantastic suite with a deck overlooking Mirror Lake. This place is smack dab in the middle of the strip of Lake Placid, perfect walking distance to everything downtown. They also provide parking passes to the muni lot across the street at night and finding a spot wasn't too hard. Anthony was a gracious host and even found me an extra charger for my phone as I left mine home and also made some good restaurant reservations and gave us a free pint coupon for Adirondack Steak across the street. If we go back to Lake Placid we will definitely try and stay at The Haus.

Room Tip: Spend the money and get a room with a deck overlooking the Lake, You only live once!
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Haus is clearly the best place to stay in Lake Placid. It has exceptional service by husband and wife team Andrea and Anthony Dawson-Ellis who have received write ups in such magazines as Adirondack Life in which the The Haus is described as "eco-chic" and is contemporary yet still very Adirondack. The Adirondacks is infamous for not having contemporary places to slumber. I myself have stayed here with friends and family and have enjoyed our stays there. The views are spectacular, the apartments are impecably clean, the service is very warm. You may look, but you will not find a better place to stay. I would give The Haus...5 stars, look no further!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank greds0405
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If you are booking at The Haus, suite 9 is not only very dark, but below a pizzeria which according to the owner closes at 10PM. However, there were loud footsteps until 2:30AM when we finally were able to get some sleep. We were not pleased with our stay at The Haus.

4  Thank SwimAlley
adawsonellis, Owner at The Haus, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

The efficiency suites at The Haus, like the unit you chose for your stay, are priced cheaper than our others in consideration of amenities, comforts, and proximity to any unusual and potential noise. Noise is always a disturbing possibility even at the best 5-Star hotels. Complaining after you have checked-out is short sighted as it does nothing to improve your situation during your stay. We can not fix what we don't know about. Most establishments can easily and willingly rectify problems you encounter. I hope all reviewers on TripAdvisor use this advice to help us help improve your stay.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We recently spent a delightful four nights in Unit 1 at The Haus. We were a bit concerned we might have problems because we arrived in the evening after reception (actually, the Eco Boutique below The Haus) had closed, but everything we needed for access to our unit was provided as we had been told. The decor is "IKEA Chic" with high quality accents and innovative, updated decor. The birch trunks dividing the bed from the sitting area were a very charming accent. The kitchen was well supplied, and the furniture was comfortable. The free wi-fi was also appreciated and service was very good. The Haus' location is fantastic if you want to walk to everything in the center of Lake Placid. Many excellent restaurants are nearby, and several offer a 10% discount if you are staying at The Haus. The only problem we had with the unit was street noise. The unit faces the street, and I was amazed at how many trucks go up and down Main Street in Lake Placid. The noise didn't bother me much, but my husband didn't sleep well at all. We would definitely return to The Haus, but to a unit facing the lake.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back to avoid street noise.
Anthony68, Owner at The Haus, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

We are very glad you chose to stay with us and enjoyed your time in Lake Placid.

Our efficiency suites like the unit you chose for your stay, are priced cheaper than our others in consideration of amenities, comforts, and proximity to any unusual and potential noise. In the past we have had to remind guests to close the double payne windows at night to avoid the morning street clatter. As with any dwelling, an open window will allow you to hear even a soft chirp of a bird in the most remote of locations.

We would love to have you back and hope you will consider any of our lake front suites; with wonderful views and private decks over looking the high-peaks, they are much less prone to any noise you might have heard.

Thanks as always, and please be sure to come back to Lake Placid soon. It's a wonderful place to visit year-round.