“Innovative dining in a small town”

Liquids and Solids at the handlebar
Ranked #21 of 99 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Perth
“Innovative dining in a small town”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Unlike other reviewers, I loved Liquids and Solids. I loved the darkness of the restaurant (it wasn't so dark I couldn't see what I was eating) and the unconventional way they prepare and serve food and drinks.

The menu has changed since I was there in December, so I can't remember what dishes I ordered, but I know we had a few cockails and an assortment of the small plate. I think there was a been cheek which was amazing.

Service was attentive, food arrived quickly. It wasn't too busy inside. The wood fire/potbelly was going, keeping the place warm.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank WorksOnly2Travel

Norwich, Vermont
“Just Weird.”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I swear they made up the menu by opening the fridge and saying, "Let's see..."

First of all the name of the place. For me it evoked a long hospitalization or at the very least recovering from the throw-up bug.

The dining experience followed suit. It was dark inside the restaurant and the menu was almost illegible -- tiny print on rumpled paper, each dish nearly indecipherable in its lengthy and coded description. Because I couldn't make any sense of the menu, I asked the very nice waitress to steer me towards a popular dish. She told me that the menu changed every day, so there was no way to gauge what was popular. So I soldiered on and took a stab by choosing a selection with ingredients I at least recognized: chicken, waffles, shrimp, pork bits and pickled greens (I think -- when it arrived, it was too dark to actually see what was on the plate). I couldn't really picture how all these ingredients were likely to come together, but trusted that there would be some innovative alchemy. There wasn't. It was just weird. And confusing. And bad. The 'waffles' were a tiny square of a waffle, dry, hard and shrimpy. The chicken was cloaked in a thick layer of fat. And the pickled-greens-bacon-bits melange was ugly (as in tasted bad). The flavors stayed as unharmonious on the palate as they had appeared on the page.

Then there are the accoutrements: water is poured into your glass from gallon milk bottles (like the ones from the grocery store). I kept thinking, "Those things are so hard to clean, I am going to be on liquids - not solids - for a week." Cocktails arrive at the table in a lab beaker and are are served in metal martini glass with a curly-cue for a stem. Paper napkins are presented picnic style rolled around the silverware. If there was a consistent theme, I missed it.

I think these guys are pulling diners' legs. I think they are saying, "Let's just not care what we do and see what happens." Seriously guys. At least make the food edible.

7 Thank TravelGuideReader
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Too clever”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Too dark to see what I was eating. Every mouthful unnameable and fatty. Menu made by throwing darts.

Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania, United States
“Funky and Fun”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped by for a drink and appetizers. Their beer selection is outstanding! We tried a number of different ones and loved them all. Their food are interesting combinations of flavor that work well together. The meatballs were our favorite!

Clifton Park, NY
“Worth the drive.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

To start with, this is a funky place, in a good way. Just looking at the menus printed on 8 ½ x 11 copier paper held together by a clip-board should alert you that what you are about to experience is not typical. The easy to update 4-page menu is broken down into Liquids (alcoholic and non-alcoholic house-created cocktails), Charcuterie/Cheeses, Solids (salads, apps, and entrees), and Beers (listing abv, origin, and tasting notes for featured beers).

Having just come from another brewpub in town, we transitioned our arrival with draughts of Crooked Tree IPA ($6/16 oz., $4/10 oz., 6.5%abv, from Dark Horse, MI) and Imperial Stout ($5/10 oz., 10%abv, from Founders, MI). These were excellent with our four choices for a charcuterie/cheese board ($4 each) – Pork & Pistachio Terrine, Fennel Kolbasz, Troubadour, beer washed cow cheese, and Great Hill Blue, semi-hard cow cheese. The accompaniments included onions, pickles, toast, nuts, and a few other items that I don’t recall. After we told our server how much we enjoyed the Troubadour cheese, she revealed to us that she and a partner were the owners of the Sugar House Creamery in Upper Jay, NY where it is made.

From the Solids menu my wife surprised me by choosing the Beef Heart Carpaccio ($14) with porcini mashed potato, spinach, beets, blue cheese, and hazelnuts. I tasted it and agreed that everything was delicious. My choice was the Rabbit Spanikopita’s (sic.) ($15) with potatoes, olives, yogurt, cucumber, and liver. The combination of all these items was a wonder blend of flavors and the phyllo dough was perfectly flaky and crispy on the outside.

With such unique offerings as we were presented here, it would be a shame if we didn't check out the dessert menu… from a pie, cake, brulee, chocolate pot, and more cheese, we chose to share the Maple Cake with candied orange bourbon sabayon ganache ($8) along with a large espresso ($3.50) and a cappuccino ($5).

Liquids & Solids is definitely going to be one our go-to places from now on when we head to Lake Placid. I’d also like to point out that the menu includes a statement that you can buy the kitchen a beer for $1. We were so pleased with our meal that we bought a beer for each member of the kitchen. A well deserved reward.

• Visited April 2014