“Hooray for Cascade”

Cascade Cross Country Center
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Cascade seems to be frequently overlooked in favor of Mount VanHo, its giant XC neighbor. That's fine, though, because within a few yards of ducking onto one of Cascade's trails you feel like you have the entire place to yourself. It's possible to ski for hours and not see anyone else. Cascade's trails connect to the Jack Rabbit and, if you have a certain ski pass, to Mount VanHovenberg, but even if you just choose to stay within Cascade proper it will take several hours to cover all the trails. The terrain is gorgeous and offers beginners a good chance to feel comfortable gliding along without a ton of people around.
Passes are $12 and feel like a bargain. The XC shop seems well-equipped and staff members are helpful. When it's time to warm up the lodge offers a cozy place to hang and to refuel with decent food for both meat-eaters and vegetarians (although the entire menu isn't available all of the time). Plus,the bar is decently stocked if you choose to use alcohol to help you thaw out.
Not that the following is an experience that most people will have, but on one visit I was a bonehead and dropped my wallet in the lodge. Didn't realize it until getting back to my hotel -- I called, they said they had it and staff waited for me after closing time so I could pick it up. Made what could've been a bad end to a great day on the trails even sweeter.

1  Thank Laurie S

Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Cascade was great! It was accessible and had everything we needed for a great day of cross country skiing. It is only a few minutes drive from downtown and had everything needed to rent. They have a great pub/lodge restaurant and plenty of helpful cheery staff. The trails were perfect to start the trip. They have enough trails to do pretty much everything in a day onsite. You can then ski to the access trails for the Olympic cross country trail system or the Jackrabbit Trail all from Cascade. All of the trails on site were well marked and spaced out enough that you had plenty of options while not straying out too far for the novice skier. Definitely highly rated for cross country skiers of all abilities.

1  Thank TerpyTraveler
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is a great, mom and pop place that has a nice resturant / bar, great ski store and rental center. It's not Mt. VanHovenberg with Olympic width trails, but it's a great place to take the family, do some skiing, get out in the woods, see nature. We have been going there for 20 years, there are fancier places, but in the Lake Placid area this is where we go. The restaurant has great burgers, chilli, mulled cider with rum, hot chocolate, and a big fireplace to warm up and dry off. And if you decide you really like xx-country they have excellent skis to buy.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Have been to Cascade a number of times, I try to make it to the area at least a couple times each winter. I've always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The staff instructor is very good, Terry Watson, when I stopped by with a friend we decided to have a lesson with him. Trails are nice, and you can get a pass to interconnect with the Jackrabbit Trail and Van Hovenberg trails.

I haven't been around during any of the full moon parties, as it just hasn't fit my schedule, at least not yet. I would definitely do so if I had the chance. I do see a couple reviewers who seem to have some issues with them. Based on my experience I'm sure if concerns were brought up at the time it would have been taken care of quickly.

I have not had a lot of experience with the restaurant, but what I have had was good. The Glogg they serve is pretty close to the 'real stuff' I grew up drinking in a Scandinavian household, though perhaps a bit light on the Aquavit. All in all I find it a great place which I make a point of going to any time I'm up during the winter months.

1  Thank James H
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We like the trails at Mount Van Ho better, but the food here is very good. We head there for lunch regardless of where we ski. And the shop personnel are very pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank Kapidolo