“Generous portions”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We wanted a light supper so we each ordered an appetizer of bruschetta. It was over-abundant with more than the typical tomato bruschetta, it had tapenade and a humus dip, as well as dipping olive oil. It came with 6 slices of toasted bread. One order would have been sufficient for two! and considering the price, we were extremely surprised. Service was expedient and friendly. It was quiet that night so they sat us on the side of Grill 211.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Let's face it. Lake Placid is a mess. My friends and I went there one weekend night - first stopping by the Lake Placid Brewery (1.5 hour wait) then stopped at Milano North which wouldn't even give us a number on how long the wait was. That's how we found ourselves at Nicola's - there was no wait and the staff seemed friendly.

I don't know why so many people are down on Nicola's. Is it the best food in the world? No. But there are some pretty good choices that allow for a great meal. The free bread is pretty amazing. Nicola's would do well to serve it hot, but even at room temperature, It's fantastic. We took the extra bread home and had it for breakfast the next day.

We started with appetizers - the salads are huge, with the greens fresh and the dressing excellent. I ordered the Italian. If you order one with meat, this could certainly be a meal in and of itself. The Calabrese (tomato and mozerella) was acceptable. Not bad, but not good. Stick with sharing a salad. Those salads are good.

For my entree, I ordered a small Bolognese. Again, this was pretty good - nothing to write home about but filling and acceptable. My friends on the other hand, chose more wisely. Two ordered the Sausage con Verde. This was actually amazing. The sausage was extremely flavorful and the light sauce it was in was amazing - the garlic was just the right amount and the greens were again, very fresh. Another friend ordered the pizza. Pizza at Nicola's is a must. It was a broccoli rabe pizza with a nice spice in the sauce and the pizza dough was soft and delicious. I would say that this is artisanal pizza that rivals some places in NYC.

The service was great, with a friendly and attentive waitress. All in all, this is a good spot. Certainly, you have to choose wisely from the menu (go with the pizza for sure) and you will have a great meal. At a great price (filling meal at around $20 (with tip and tax) a head). Also, a nice place for familes and kids.

Don't be feared by the other reviews - i don't know why they are so negative. Their negativity caused me to write this review. It's a good, solid place without the craziness that sometimes can be Lake Placid.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My sons and I recently had a terrific dinner at Nicola's. The calamari app was delicious, chicken saltimbocca and pasta with clams were great, atmosphere was informal and friendly and service was professional. The bill was reasonable. We had fun and really enjoyed our dinner.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Large, pleasantly rustic atmosphere. My wife and son and I visited recently. My wife ordered fish, my 4 y/o son pizza, and I ordered a filet mignon. The place had about 15 customers in a restaurant that could accommodate roughly 4 times as many diners. The meal took over 30 minutes to arrive. My wife's salmon was passable, the pizza extra oily but edible. The dessicated piece of colorless meat was shrunken (yes, shrunken) and tried to be a filet but was not up to the task. It represented the singular worst prepared beef
I have either eaten or seen or heard. I was actually offended. I felt like a tourist being shown a "genuine" gold Rolex for $20. The bill with tip came to almost $100. I paid quietly and avoided the possible confrontation with a chef who had not a clue and a management that apparently could care less. Avoid if humanly possible...

3  Thank Bert D
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great service and excellent Chicken Piccata! It isn't right on the strip but there is parking so very convenient.