“Good food. Good prices. Good atmosphere.”
Review of Desperados

Desperados
Ranked #67 of 104 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed nearby and looked for a place for supper. Three people had three different meals. All were good with good portions and friendly staff. Would eat there again.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The restaurant and staff were good. It seems like they have many regulars. However, the food was tasteless and over cooked. They give large portions but you won't want to finish them. I hate giving bad reviews, but the food is not appealing.

1  Thank Donald G
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A group of us go to Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid, NY several times a year........and there are places that are 'a must' for us. Desperados WAS one on this list. A fun place with great drinks/food. However.....we were instantly faced with a sign saying no separate checks. Usually this is not an issue..........and we are all decent tippers.....so it surprised me. I said something to the effect "Guess you will have to sit us at separate tables since we need separate checks". The fellow (I later learned the owner brother!) said in a rather cranky voice....."Let me know when you decide what to do" and briskly walked back to the bar....which was NOT crowded with people looking for refills. He never returned...and a very pleasant gal finally came and seated us. However....the tone of the evening was definitely diminished. Had he said "It is our policy to just make one check per table" we could have handled that. We all went to school...it is just easier when checks are separate...and we don't haggle about who had two drinks and who had three....and who had none! More important....we don't hesitate ordering more since we know we will not be burdening our friends who don't want apps or dessert! The bill would have been MUCH higher had each couple been able to pay for their own.
We all have our bad days....perhaps we caught him on a crabby one!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I can't even comment on the food because we didn't get that far. The host was such a jerk we didn't stick around to find out. We arrived at dinner hour on Cinco de Mayo so we knew it would be busy and we were prepared for a wait. The bar was crowded and people were waiting on benches in foyer. We stood at host/hostess podium for ten minutes and no one came to take our name. We noticed a sheet with names and number in party on it and handwriting appeared to be different for most and in different color pens so we thought we were supposed to sign ourselves in. We put our names next on list and waited another five minutes. Finally a guy came and when I told him I had already put my name on the list he was an arrogant jerk and said, "Nobody writes on MY list." I said, "Um, sorry, I thought I was supposed to." He said, "No, NOBODY writes on MY list." He actually scribbled our names off and then said, "It will be at least 45 minutes" and asked us our names. Are you kidding, buddy? We went up the road to a great restaurant with super friendly service and never looked back! Mexican with an Irish attitude was written on their window. Well, I'm Irish and I have a much nicer attitude than that. It should say "Nasty attitude".

3  Thank indigodawn
Reviewed 21 May 2014

it is a Irish owned Mexican restaurant, that pretty much sums it up. the food over priced and is terrible service is substandard and the location is a gas station. you would be safer getting a sandwich from the gas station. or if you wanted a family meal head across the street to Howard Johnson.

3  Thank reginald w