“One of Lake Placid's Gems”
Review of Caffe Rustica

Caffe Rustica
Ranked #15 of 103 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Saranac Lake, New York
“One of Lake Placid's Gems”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Caffe Rustica is nestled in the Outpost Plaza on the way out of town and too many people miss one of Lake Placid's finest restaurants. Our friends from Albany & New York shared time with us there a week ago and the evening was fabulous. The service from theminute you walked in the door until you leave is great...Fabulous food, great wine and the company was stupendous!
Don't do all your dining on the Main Street...Saranac Avenue and beyond have some super places!

• Visited July 2013

Philadelphia
“A taste of Florence in the Adirondacks...”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Walk into Caffe Rustica...and leave the Adirondacks for the taste of northern Italy...wood burning oven for perfect pizza, fresh made crusty bread to dip in balsamic and olive oil, lasagne bolognese like Mama makes, and a Caesar salad with lemony homemade dressing that's the best. If you order the large caesar, it can feed 4 people; 3 very hungry people. Staff are just wonderful; food at least as great. This is a new family favorite of ours....and it will become yours, as well.

• Visited July 2013
“Great Find”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This place is very easy to miss but worth finding. We had a table for eleven and everyone was happy - how often does that happen? Highly recommend the spicy meatballs and lasagna, not so much the chicken saltimbaca. If nothing else appeals the pizzas are quite tasty.

Visited July 2013
Rochester, New York
“Gone Down Hill”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I visit Placid about 4 times a year to visit family in the area. For the past 6 years or so, I have always made it a point to visit Rustica during my visit as the food and such has always been excellent and basically had considered it to be in the top 4 restaurants in the area. Basically, gourmet Italian style cuisine.
However, when we ate there on 7/2 I was sorely disappointed. It bordered on terrible, especially since I was expecting your usual efforts. Just an overpriced average place to eat at this point. I had the scallops and risotto, which I have had numerous times in the past. There were 4 ridiculously small scallops, two of which were undercooked and then I had about 4 pounds of very tough and dry risotto - not sure if someone was trying to make up for the paltry scallops or what, but a huge mistake. I would have said something at the time, but it was late and we just wanted to get out of there - my wife gets a little embarrassed sometimes as well.
I know you lost a couple chefs or sous last fall roughly - they were really good - thought they could have been replaced, but guess not. Actually, seemed like a whole new staff in there, who obviously don't care or something - hard to believe when jobs are at a premium or they are way in over their heads for their skill level.
I may try your place once more, but if it has not dramatically improved, I will not be back for quite a while. Thought you should know - a once big fan.

• Visited June 2013
Waterford, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Cafe Rustica is a gem in Lake Placid, outside the hustle of the Main Street. The staff are friendly and the food is very good italian. It was very busy the night we went and I can understand why.

Visited July 2013