“Perfection.....an absolute Gem of a property”

The Whiteface Lodge
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Naples
“Perfection.....an absolute Gem of a property”
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Whiteface Lodge to get away from our hectic lives for a short visit.

This hotel is impeccably clean, great location, and above all you can tell the staff is committed to service. As soon as we arrived, the valet was professional but not stuffy, and made us feel at ease. Our room was ready early, and the hotel was running a high occupancy, so that was nice to see. Front Desk was very cordial and informative, the agent struck up a nice conversation with us while checking in.
The Rooms are very well appointed and clean. You can tell the housekeeping staff is well trained, and very friendly as well when cleaning our room during the day!

You can tell ownership / management put a lot of pride in the grounds and landscaping, just brilliant grounds.

I just hope that we can find time to get back to the Whiteface Lodge! This is a luxury property that absolutely lives up to its reputation!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JMSLMOLL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kawartha Lakes, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2011

After deciding not to go south for the March Break, we decided to splurge on three nights at Whiteface Lodge. Our first impression was that the housekeeping at this resort is terrible. After checking into our room, we found a dirty pair of a previous guest's sandals in the master bedroom behind the door. On the floor of the bathroom was something sticky and covered in dirt. In the leather armchair in the living room, we found crushed goldfish crackers. For the price we paid (just under $2000.00), and since this is supposed to be a "Leading Hotel of the World" we expected to at least have a clean room. I would expect a clean room no matter where I stayed or what I paid. We called housekeeping and they came up to "reclean" our room, but still missed the crackers in the chair. Had to call them back again. We called and left a phone message for the general manager to contact us, but for the three days we were there, he did not bother to call. I know he was there, as he came in for a hair cut one afternoon when I was in the spa. The assistant manager called the next day and offered us a total of $100 off our stay , plus vouchers for dinner. We used these on our third night, and you can read my review about Kanu titled "They need Chef Ramsey". This was supposed to be our anniversary dinner and I was in tears after the disgusting meal we were served.
My experience at the spa was not good, and definitely not the relaxing getaway I was looking for. I had a nice massage, but my mani/pedi was the worst I've ever had. My heels were still rough after being exfoliated, and the next morning the polish was chipping off. I unfortunately didn't have time to go back since we were checking out that day and the spa wasn't open before we left. The mani/pedi room is right across from the main spa desk, and the door was left open for everyone to see me sitting having my pedicure. It was not private, very noisy and a high traffic area. People walk right by you to get to the hair salon (oh yes, did I mention the GM came in for a hair cut?) Perhaps I should have shouted out to him to discuss our room concerns, but I was still expecting him to return our phone call.
When we returned home I completed a hotel survey about our experience and emailed the manager to discuss our unhappiness. He emailed and said he would call us, but despite several emails back and forth, it took until the third week of April for him to finally phone us. He told my husband that he didn't like the review we had posted on TA about our dining experience at Kanu, and that he wasn't going to do anything for us regarding any of our issues.
My expectation was that at the very least he would refund us at least one nights stay, or invite us back for another visit at no charge. But I stand by my honest review of Kanu, and Whiteface Lodge , even if the truth hurts.

30 Thank kawarthas1
wfl, General Manager at The Whiteface Lodge, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
The staff at the Whiteface Lodge is empowered to remedy any situation with guests directly when a situation arises where they are displeased. They acted promptly in addressing the single issue you brought to our attention during your stay.
Please let me take a moment to reiterate the events that transpired during your visit:
--We understand that your room was not "ready" when you checked-in, a housekeeping error on our part for which we took full responsibility. In exchange, we made a reduction to your account and provided complimentary cocktails and dinner. From our point of view, this was a very fair offering to resolve the issue brought to our attention.
--We know that there was a misunderstanding during your complimentary dinner and we apologized. However, we attempted correct the situation with grace and our signature service. Our Culinary team worked together expeditiously to resolve the situation as quickly as possible to make you feel comfortable and enable you to enjoy your meal.
We understand that you are sophisticated and discerning travelers; however, we have also noticed that you have posted many negative reviews on Trip Advisor about us and other properties.
We believe we have acted in a manner that is extremely gracious and fair and therefore, we consider the issue closed. Thank you for your visit and we wish your safe and happy travels in the future.
Northwestern, NJ
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We stayed at the Lodge last November. We didn't really know what to expect. Photos on the website looked nice. Boy oh boy were we bowled over. From the moment we arrived we all loved it. Even our kids (8 and 5) were overcome with a sense of peace.

The lodge is beautiful with nooks and crannies for cozy relaxation. We selected the smallest room - a studio. Plenty of room for the 4 of us. The kitchen comes fully loaded, which we didn't realize and will definitely put to better use next time. Our deck was huge, as was the bathroom. The kids loved the big tub and I appreciated the washer/dryer.

The grounds and amenities are beyond compare. The game room doesn't feature one electronic game - hallelujah! Good old fashioned fun like pool, ping pong and table top shuffle board. They even have a private bowling alley. The kids went crazy and so did their parents.

The kids program thrilled them and we also paid extra for the evening kids program. It gave us time to sit in the lounge, play cards and eat truffle fries.

We were very sad to leave and have a return trip planned for this summer. It's a bit on the pricey side but worth absolutely every penny!

Room Tip: Every room must be a great room
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NJMama02
Reviewed 24 April 2011

High class ...great for the kids too. Lots to do at the resort and in the area.

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Before going further I will admit that the lodge is beautiful, stunning really. The rooms are fantastic, well equipped, beautifully furnished, and very spatious. The restaurant, lobby, and lounge are gorgeous. That being said, I was not terribly impressed with my stay. I am a regular at some true 5 star properties, like the Broadmoor and the Breakers, and this hotel while more expensive does not live up to that level of service. Examples:
- when we arrived there was no one to greet us, park the car, or open the door, ie no valet and no doorman. We carried are own bags.
- I never saw anyone at the concierge desk, and the gift shop was closed throughout our stay.
- the restaurant, lounge, and room service all had the same menu, with six appetizers and six entres, which stayed the same all three days of my stay.
- the pool was unstaffed, unkempt, and had a mineral/dirt ring at the waterline.
-the breakfast buffet was bare-bones; scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon and sausage, and a simple fruit table. No cook to order station, limited choices, and what was there was often in need of replenishment. Very uninspiring.
In general the place seemed to be running with a skeleton crew, and really needed at least twice the number if staff they had. For the price we paid I expected a significantly higher level of service. While the rooms ARE very nice, I don't think this hotel is worth anything near what they are charging. In short you are paying for the room and hotel architecture, and not much else.

• Stayed March 2011
7 Thank Otegdyrghgfdv
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Stayed here for the second year in a row. We considered a number of ski resorts for the March Break (e.g., Smuggs, Killington, Stowe) but we all decided on the Whiteface Lodge. For the number of activities they offer (for adults and teens) and the proxity to Whiteface for the best skiing in NY, we all chose to return to the Lodge. Swimming, bowling, movie nights, a great breakfast and the friendliest service, AND the best sleep we have had in a hotel ever. I don't know what mastresses they use, but my wife and I are considering getting the same for our bed at home. It's not the cheapest accomodations, but it made for a wonderful March Break!!!! We will be back!!!

2 Thank Lynowen
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We spent two nights at the lodge and it was so perfect. The staff is kind, friendly and helpful. The attention to detail regarding the rooms is outstanding. The food is delicious and there are so many activities it is hard to find the time to do them all. We went snow shoeing, sledding, skating, watched a ,movie in the theater, swam, played in the game room, etc. It was so magical and we can't wait to go back!