“Not entirely worth the price”

The Whiteface Lodge
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Virginia
“Not entirely worth the price”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My family stayed at Whiteface for four nights in a three-bedroom suite. The size of the suite was more than adequate for the eight of us, and the fantastic breakfast was included in our AAA rate, but otherwise we did not feel like we got much for our money. It is a landlocked hotel with a very small pool. In the summer there is little else to do on the property, and many things close up early (no more s'mores at 9pm?). The kids enjoyed the game room which is well-appointed. Down the road is the "Canoe Club" which you MUST take a hotel shuttle to and from. I wanted to go there directly from another off-property activity and was STERNLY told there was no guest parking and not to park on the street either! The club is an old rundown motel. Seriously. And perhaps the towels they offer there are original to the property? They offer various boating activities at steep prices. $185. for a one-hour tour in the antique Hacker-Craft which might explain why the availability was wide-open.
We ate at Kanu one evening and liked it very much- the room is beautiful but I agree with another review that it borders on Disney World. We ate another night at Artisans at the Lake Placid Lodge and it was in a different league entirely. Absolutely fantastic.
The biggest disappointment however was how unhelpful the concierge was regarding our sailboat. To make a long story short, we were completely on our own, and when we asked if we could keep a sixteen foot trailer on the property for TWO HOURS while the boat was sailed to the public launch we were told NO, there was no place on the property to keep it (well how about that huge paved area over near the tennis courts!?!). They also told us we shouldn't bring our bicycles because there really aren't any trails around!?! For a resort in an outdoor sporting destination they seem to be unwilling to accomodate the very things that guests travel there to do. I didn't dislike the lodge, they just didn't really give me a reason to return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bhein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have been traveling up to Lake Placid every summer for the past 5 years. This year I tried the Whiteface Lodge. This is the resort to stay for a relaxing and first class trip while in the Lake Placid area. The grounds and amenities are terrific. The kids enjoyed the included camp and the many activities that were available. Their Lake Front Beach (Canoe Club) is a 2 minute drive from the resort. The resort and the rooms are terrific and clean. All of the employees were friendly and ready to please. This will be our Lake Placid vacation spot for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Duffy06
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This was our second stay at Whiteface Lodge-- my husband was competing in the Ironman and this hotel had been recommended to us by a fellow competitor. The hotel is warm and inviting and the rooms are of a nice size. The hotel has an disney-esque feel--like Walt picked out the furnishing and wall decor.
The hotel overall is fine--it is not 4 stars and does not merit the high price. If I am going to pay for a 4 star resort, I would like 4 star service and an overall 4 star experience. Here are some of the strengths and weaknesses--
good things--valet's are great, breakfast is solid, rooms are large, food had improved from last year at lunch and dinner. Spa is lovely and I had a great massage there although prices are crazy high ($75 mani/pedi!!!)
things that need improvement--
1)there is no shade at the pool area. There are four umbrellas in total, all of which are over round tables. Last year there had been one umbrella for chaise lounges--this year it was gone
2) if there is meal service at the pool it was nearly impossible to order it--menus are attached to the four tables with the umbrellas but there was no obvious phone or directions on how to order it. Someone did manage to order food to the pool before I arrived at 11:30--the empty dishes were there. They remained there until 6 pm . Nothing like looking at someone's half eaten yogurt all day.
3)the waitstaff is a mixed bag. Some of the waitresses were great (usually women over the age of 25). The rest appeared daft. They were offering special ironman smoothie's-- the first morning it was offered to us. The second morning we requested it and the waiter appeared with a plastic cup that was 1/5th full. When we looked at him quizzically he said "oh. did you want more?" Once a plate dropped at the buffet during breakfast. The staff, who was gathered near the baked goods, stood there without moving while the pregnant guest tried to pick up the pieces. Plates were taken without being asked if we were finished. Bacon was served on a plate after I requested no bacon or sausage (I actually don't eat meat, so this was super unappealing).
4)The staff has no knowledge of the resort--around the camp fire we asked a staff member how many rooms were in the hotel. He said "I don't know but could go inside and find out". So could I!
5) a 4 star resort offers water to guests (and maybe even snacks) throughout the day. Coffee is by the restaurant in the morning, ice tea in the main lodge in the afternoon. How about some water by the pool? or in the main lodge? Stick some cucumbers or lemons in it and then you are really rocking.
6) Breakfast feels like you are listening to live acoustic music because the volume is set so loud. I like acoustic music as much as anyone, but I don't blast it during meal time.
7)the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel were not automatically refilled-- 2 adults, (one doing the race) really need more than one small hotel tube of shampoo after day 3.
I think this hotel has great potential-- I just do not believe it should describe itself as 4 stars until it can fix some of the things listed above.

Room Tip: There are rooms that are 2 floors (good for anyone with guests sleeping on the couch),some rooms hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cheapmomof2
Montreal
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Extremely clean! Beautiful area close to Lake Placid main street.
Architecture and resort luxury/decor are awesome. Bed are very comfortable.

One minor thing; The service at the restaurant during the breakfast was very disorganize, everybody was running. nobody offered us beverage. or even menu...In fact, no service at all. They only they ask me, "what is your room number"...but for the dinner, it was perfect!

For the pool...I wish that hotel should be only an adult resort. Children on the pool were unsupportable...they were screaming, running all time...

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ticlou
Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This place is simply, "AWESOME", with a big Wow factor. Luuved the Adirondack lodge Architecture of the property. We rented a one bedroom apt that had a kitchen, 1 and half bath with a sleeping porch for reading and stuff. The Res. onsite was excellent. Very good breakfast that was included in our room rate. Did'nt realize it until we got there. What a pleasant surprise! For a fam of 4, this breakfast alone cud cost at least $60- $80. So great value! The staffs were so friendly, courteous........! Can't thank them enough! Over all a grand exp. for me and our fam. This place is not cheap, but I thought worth every penny. And even if splurge, u won't be sorry! Def. worth it and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank BengaliTaino
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We just got back from 3 beautiful nights at Whiteface Lodge in Lake Placid. We were there on an anniversary trip with two other couples, so we wanted a resort which had 3 bedroom suites. Whiteface Lodge had been on my radar for a long time as a Leading Hotel of the World location. Previously we had stayed at another location (Ashford Castle in County Mayo, Ireland) and it was stunning.

I have to say my expectations were pretty high going in. I had read a number of outstanding reviews on Tripadvisor and it was going to be difficult to live up to the hype. However, between the incredible room, the excellent staff, and the awesome food, Whiteface Lodge completely delivered!

Here is what went particularly well:

- Room was fabulous - 3 bedrooms with comfortable beds, each couple had their own washroom (2 were ensuite). Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, oven... the bathroom had a washer/dryer unit... I can't say enough good things about the room. There was a walk out deck with seating for 4 people that we upped to 6 by bringing out a few chairs.

- Staff was fantastic. We made much use of the free shuttle service which would accomodate a driver and 6 passengers (it was a big SUV). They have a specific dropoff point on Main St downtown in the heart of all the restaurants and shops. They also take you to the Canoe Club which is a 3 minute drive. The service staff was fantastic and very helpful. Everyone was very nice and pleasant to deal with. I felt the staff was truly making an effort to have us enjoy our stay. Turndown service at night included new carafes filled with water, cookies to munch on, and a bit of cleanup.

- The food was outstanding quality, and I didn't find the prices overwhelming. We had breakfast included with our package, and between the fabulous coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit, egg & cheese scramble, applewood smoked bacon & sausage, I have to say everything was really really good. In the evening we dined two nights in their lounge. Our friend had an awesome 4 cheese pizza the one night.. and we all had desserts another night which were about $9 each. Not cheap, but they were absolutely worth the money. The ice cream sandwich is huge!!

There weren't many things that didn't go well on our trip, but there were a few little things which could have been better. Just to provide this review with some balance, I will mention them:

- I wasn't a huge fan of the Canoe Club. It is on the way into town and I actually expected a bit more of a serene location (I was a bit surprised Whiteface Lodge is located so close to the main highway into town). It's right beside a busy condo/harbour unit and while it is as advertised, it just felt a bit "cheap" to me compared to what I got at the hotel location. The staff did a great job here as well - so it was more the location than anything else. It is a good spot for kids as they have a nice sandy beach. The volleyball court is on grass and is kind of crammed in with the trees. Not a beach volleyball court.

- Our friends arrived well in advance of the 4 pm check in time (12:45 I believe), and while they were advised their room was being cleaned, we still weren't able to get in until 4:15 pm. Not a huge issue but I just would have expected they could have gotten in a bit earlier.

- The games room was mostly pretty good. The shuffleboard table was lacking powder to help the discs slide. The ping pong table was fun but a bit cramped. The pool table was pretty good but not in mint condition. A bit worn. We didn't want to spend much time inside anyway so it wasn't a real issue.

Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your stay:

- There is a Price Chopper across the road from the resort where you can buy beer, groceries and meal items for nights where you don't want to drop cash at the lounge or Kanu. The mini mall also has a drug store and a wine shoppe.

- We ate one night at Maggie's Pub, which is about 1.2 miles up the road from Whiteface Lodge. It has FANTASTIC views of Lake Placid, with a nice heated patio. The food was good, but beware very small portions on some dishes. The pub is attached to Lake Placid Lodge and there is another restaurant called Artisans which I think is fancier and pricier. We just wanted a great view of the lake and we achieved that goal.

- We hiked Cascade Mountain which took about 3 hours round trip and is about 2000 ft of elevation. If you are fit and want breathtaking views and a solid challenge, you should check it out. Not for the faint hearted, but they say it is the easiest of the 4000 ft. peaks to climb. It's about 20 minutes from the hotel and is located close to the Bobsled track if you want to pay the $70 to ride a bobsled for 43 seconds (I wasn't willing to part with $70 for this).

- On our way out of town we had lunch at the Big Mountain Creperie and Deli which is on the main drag downtown. The sandwiches were about $8 and were absolutely outstanding. One of our best meals in Lake Placid. Highly recommended, but I think it is a busy spot!

- We also had a wonderful patio lunch on Mirror Lake at "The Cottage", which is just off the main drag through town. Affordable lunch prices in a pristine location. Recommended!

- The spa in Whiteface Lodge doesn't really advertise it, but you can use their sauna and hot tub for no charge. My wife also got a massage at the spa and she said it was well worth the $100 for 50 minutes! (especially after hiking)

So thanks again to the outstanding staff for a wonderful stay at Whiteface Lodge. I will recommend it to all and we will more than likely be back!

Room Tip: I was torn between choosing a 3 -bedroom suite in the Clubhouse or the Main Lodge. In hindsight, ou...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Irishman_27
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I loved everything about this place. We were upgraded to a 1br suite and the amenities were amazing. I can't recommend this place highly enough. Everything we needed was in the room. The grounds were also pretty amazing. We went iceskating, munched on smores and went outdoor winter swimming in the warm pool. I would go back again if I could afford it. It was a total splurge. The location close to whiteface mountain was the draw to this resort but really everything about it was a treat.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple