“Worst Inn Ever”

The Pines Inn of Lake Placid
Ranked #9 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 September 2008

I do not recommend this Inn to anyone. I spent 5 nights and this was my worst stay in a Hotel/Inn ever. The room smelled bad, the shower nozzle had bad water pressure, the water temperature took 5-7 minutes to become hot. The TV was a 13" tube that I used my hand to change the channels (remote only worked if you where less than a foot away from the tv). This is a family owned business in which, they couldn't find the reservations for half of the people in our group and the owner was unable to take constructive criticism or customer complaints. I complained once and she asked me if I wanted to check out immediately because no one ever complains about her establishment and suggested I was not her kind of tenant (whatever that means, nonetheless I was offended). Hot tub was closed, the towels had wholes in them, and the room was freezing in the summer (where friends rooms where hot and needed to use the A/C). I used 2 space heater and they had a burning smell, I cut them off at night and slept in sweats and used two blankets, but I still froze. The only good thing about this place is they have tempurpedic mattresses and the daily cleaning of the rooms. This Pines Inn is extremely over priced for what you get, and the fact that the staff is unwilling to fix any issues makes it worse.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank XtremeTraveler11

Reviewed 17 April 2008

This is a great place for people (like me) who are more interested in charm than having every modern convenience. I loved the history, and the decor in my room. Easy walk to Main Street. I was there in early April, which is the start of "mud season", so the restaurant was closed (like many things in town), and the place was so deserted it was a little spooky for the first 2 days until more guests arrived. I definitely didn't have to worry about noisy neighbors.
The hot tub was definitely a plus, but it bleached my bathing suit out even though I rinsed it out each time. Nice lobby area.
The only inconvenience is no ice machine. You have to ask for ice, and there was hardly ever anyone in the lobby. I didn't want to ring for someone. Some of the rooms have bathtubs, some only showers. Also, mine did not have a mirror I could see in without dragging a footstool into the bathroom (I'm only 5'2")

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2008

My fiance, friends and I all stayed here this past president's weekend. It is in a great location in the town of lake placid. It's very close to everything. The hotel is run more like a B&B but the breakfast isn't free! LOL- That's ok. It looks like a B&B and has that feel from the inside of the hotel. The family that ran the hotel were very nice especially Jill. The interior of the hotel is a little old, but you have to take into consideration the great rate you are getting for the room and that it is not a 5 star place, having that being said, it was great for what we wanted. The rooms were on the smaller side but it was fine. My only real complaint would be the water in the shower. You had to finagle it because it would come out scalding hot or freezing cold and it took a while to adjust the shower to get it just right. I have stayed in other B&B's and this water temp in the shower seems to be a running theme for some reason....At any rate, if you are looking for a comfortable, great location in LP, and good price I would stay here. Just don't expect the Ritz..

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2007

This could be a nice place, but it seems like the owners just don't care. Everything is a bit shabby. The room itself was okay, though the threshhold over the doorway is not finished, so you can trip into the room easily.

The hallways have old, ripped wallpaper, and the newel posts at most of the stair landings are missing. ?? Like they've been pulled off, because there's a hole.

The shampoo they give you is in an individual packet, and probably enough for one shampooing (there's two of us). Also, there are plastic drinking cups wrapped in plastic.

The restaurant isn't anything special. I asked for any other cheese than American on a breakfast plate. They gave me provolone and charged 50¢ for it. Tacky.

On the positive side, it's well located, has free wifi and is well priced at $109 per night. Also, the best was comfortable.

Would I stay here again? Maybe.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank laurencat
Reviewed 21 July 2007

There are a lot of crummy hotels in Lake Placid, a few really spectacular ones, and not so many in-between. The Pines is really a great option in-between.
The owners are lovely. They provide great advice about hiking, dining, and other area attractions. Very, very nice people.

The lobby area is charming and comfortable, with a huge porch and gigantic sitting area all decorated in mountain style.

Rooms are in a pattern set from the history of the hotel: at some point in the past, sprinklers were installed haphazardly throughout the building, and hung a good foot off the ceiling of our room. By the time we left, we had decided this just gave the place character. Also, the rooms aren't huge - but plenty big enough - because when the hotel was built people expected smaller. Beyond this, the re-decoration was tasteful and very comfortable. The inclusion of $3000 Tempur-Pedic mattresses is quite remarkable, and we slept very well. The bathroom was very nice, and spotless.

The renovation of the halls and rooms is ongoing, but at no time were we disturbed by construction. There is simply some construction debris down the hall around the corner. Also, our door was unpainted and had seemingly temporary adhesive numbers on it. My hope is that this is temporary, as it's a jarring variance from the otherwise very nice decor.

We've stayed in Lake Placid many times over a decade, and this is our new favorite mid-priced hotel. It's an excellent bargain.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Xian3
Reviewed 19 July 2007

The Inn was one of the cheapest places to stay that was located right in the village. It's family owned and operated, and you could tell they take great pride and care in their hotel. However, they bought the property only a few years ago and back then it was in quite the state of disrepair. They are still in the process of upgrading. The room itself was very clean, small but very nice. We had some problems with a leaky bathroom ceiling that woke us up at 5AM on two occassions. Since it's an older Inn the sound proofing between rooms is not the best, and if you have a noisy neighbor you're stuck with listening to their TV. That said, the hosts were great and i would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank CanuckBoston
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Homey, comfortable, beautiful, and family run... We had an excellent stay at The Pines. When we go away, we stay in high end, fancy hotels; The Pines definitely fit our idea of an ideal hotel without the high price. Jill and Frank were wonderfully accommodating. We truly felt like we were at home. We will definitely return. -Laura and Andrew Weimer

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 9 in Saranac Lake
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid

Been to The Pines Inn of Lake Placid? Share your experiences!