“needs updating”

Ranked #9 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“needs updating”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at the pines inn for three days in June 2014. The staff are very friendly and helpful,This is the only good thing I can say about this inn. I do not care about having to walk up stairs to get to your room , and although I think in general the hotel can use an update, I was aware of this fact before I booked my trip.
What will stop me from going back to this inn is as followes
We stayed in room 112.The bathroom door would not close without using great force. This has been an issue for awhile, as the scrape marks in the tile will attest too.
The wall paper and paint are peeling from the walls in the bathroom. There is mould in the jets of the bathtub and on the caulking of the bathtub and sink.
The blinds on the windows are white cheap plastic ones that let in all the light.
The water in the shower kept turning hot then cold annoying but we were dealing with it until I scalded my foot when the water turned boiling hot. I still have a small scar on my foot. I was lucky my face was not in the spray at the time.
The t.v was very small and lying in your bed you could not see the screen because of the bed rails.
Besides the mould which does not really have anything to do with housekeeping,the room was pretty clean,I thought until I looked under the bed just before I left to see if anything of ours had fallen there Nothing of ours was there but there was three inches of dirt and dust. .
We payed 421.00for the three night For that price i expect alot better in a inn. I will not be going back to this inn.

Room Tip: Go to another inn better value elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 660kimberly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

For the price, this hotel is what you expect. Few amenities are available, and none in the rooms. The staff were pleasant. Rooms were clean and cozy. The location is terrific. I would stay here again, but know that it is not a luxury destination.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank mdos7
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

If you are one to expect modern amenities or gets freaked out by any little patch job or small old bathrooms, then this is not for you. It is an old hotel but it is very clean and very comfortable. The staff is extremely nice and helpful with anything we needed or asked about. Just a short walk from Main Street; we walked everywhere in Placid. The bed was from but comfortable, in the room was small but priced right, clean and perfect.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stay here for New Years. We got a lovely double room, very clean and well appointed.
It was handy enough to the main St of Lake Placid which is just as well as there is no bar nor restaurant in the hotel. The is a small gym, pool table and sauna in terms of facilities and free wifi.
Staff were very nice. Overall we had a lovely stay in Lake Placid

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drsunny
Shelter Island, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have not been back to Lake Placid for a while, but on a friends recommendation I stayed at The Pines Inn.
What a pleasant surprise. This small hotel has a European feel and a very nice ambiance. Although an older property it is spotless and lovingly maintained, with beautiful hardwood floors, nice decorations and very comfortable rooms. Its proximity to downtown makes it even better. You can walk to lots of restaurants and even the Olympic Center.

Jill, the owner, was most gracious and made me feel very welcome. Their prices and location and great atmosphere make this a very good choice when visiting LP.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cumnock
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked into this hotel as it was reasonably priced and within walking distance of the town centre area. Weather was horrible (it was like Summer in Scotland), with heavy rain. Fortunately the hotel had large umbrellas to share with guests. We had thought we would eat in rather than face the weather but were told that as JUNE is off season the restaurant wasn't open. Not being local we had thought June would have been prime season, but hey ho. No lift that we could see, very large hotel and we had a room on the 2nd floor right at the other end of the hotel. For a hotel which wasn't busy I was suprised we had to drag our suitcases so far. Room was quite small although comfortable. Lack of mirrors in the bedroom, but one in the bathroom. Fresh coffee available in the morning for all guests, but no tea. The owner did make me some when I asked if there was any, which was very considerate. Whilst I'm not slating this property, I just think we didn't get to see it at its best, i.e. fully open.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank audbodCumnock
London
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This property was probablly built during the 1932 Olympics. For medical reasons asked about elevator,the owner said no elevator, yet there is one for housekeeping only. Very very basic, price is not warrant more than $70/night. The owners need to be more hospitable if they wish to keep clients, and agree to prices from online booking. This property needs major improvements that would be nice to include a hot breakfast,coffee was nice but lets get with the times and be eco friendly with NO STYROFOAM cups.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family