“Awful”

Ranked #9 of 14 Lake Placid B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Awful”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Our first and last stay at this overpriced Inn, right next door to a funeral home, thank you very much. The queen room was, and especially the halls, very stuffy and musty smelling, the bed linens were old and pilling, the bed and pillows uncomfortable, the shower seemed broken, it sprayed all over the place and you couldn't get good water pressure, the bathroom was teeny tiny, you could hardly manoeuvre yourself over to the toilet with the sink & tub being so close together; the t.v. was tiny too! For the price ($139+tax), you would think they could at least offer coffee and croissants in the morning, a little juice perhaps? Nothing! Their website gives the impression of a charming local inn with four poster beds and the personal touch, yet the reality is far from the truth. Two thumbs down to The Pines Inn of Lake Placid, NY!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xina08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
UK
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Stayed here having contacted approximately 70 places - no lie - for Ironman Lake Placid. The Pines Inn didn't disappoint. Clean, friendly and great value compared to all the other places that had upped their rates by an astronomical amount for the Ironman weekend. Gill and her family were incredibly hospitable and understanding of the athletes' needs. Definitely recommend for the Ironman.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank r247
Los Angeles
Reviewed 28 February 2010

It worked for what you need..a nice mattress to sleep on!..Not much else. The place is from the early 1900s but if really nice for it's age. The mattresses are great and after a long day in the snow, it worked out good. The shower was really the only issue that we really had, it didn't work that well and the hot water too a long time to get to our room. For what it was, the rate seemed a little high. Keeping the parking lot plowed would have been a nice touch. Location was great.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank DannyWink
syracuse, ny
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We have stayed at this Inn twice before. We were not impressed the first time we stayed, but considering the price we went back the second time. Trying to make reservations again for the third time was a mess. Everytime I have went to make reservations I would have to call multiple times a day over a couple of days in order to get someone to pick up the phone. The rooms are very small and simple. The inside feel is as if you are walking back in time through the Titanic. You can hear everything and everyone in the hallway and in the room next to you. We were forced to waste two pricey meals due to no fridges in the rooms. They do have a hottub but that is the only other ammenity that is useful. There is no back yard to relax in and there is no complementary breakfest. Prices skyrocketed this year compared to last year (by 30 or 40 dollars) and when asking about it I was given a hard time and hung up on. The only reason we stayed there was the price (they arent even right on the main street). I can go elsewhere right on main street for the price with more ammenities and a bigger room.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sjtay

Travellers are raving about these Lake Placid hotels

Girdwood, Alaska
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I don't think this is the greatest place ever. But it's not the worst, either. You'd think nothing of this place if you just drove past. The outside looks like a prison. The porch is lovely, the inside lobby/common areas are GORGEOUS. The walls and hallways are well worn, old, the floors are creaky.

The rooms are okay, the AC works and that's mostly what I care about. The bathroom is not fat person friendly (thankfully I am not a fat person). There is a limited amount of space in the bathroom. The wallpaper really needs some work, and I am a bit concerned about the fact that I am pretty sure housekeeping unzipped my bag (nothing was missing). The rooms weren't remade with the most amazing quality, but you're staying at a creaky old Inn, I am not sure what else you would expect. The WiFi internet is pretty awful, and it's hard to maintain a good signal...but again, whatever. Not that important to me.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again, but it's not bad. The common areas are WAY nicer than the rooms, but the front desk lady was lovely to us, we weren't bothered by noise, the water is hot and the AC is cold. Not much else I need in life :)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 19 September 2008

I do not recommend this Inn to anyone. I spent 5 nights and this was my worst stay in a Hotel/Inn ever. The room smelled bad, the shower nozzle had bad water pressure, the water temperature took 5-7 minutes to become hot. The TV was a 13" tube that I used my hand to change the channels (remote only worked if you where less than a foot away from the tv). This is a family owned business in which, they couldn't find the reservations for half of the people in our group and the owner was unable to take constructive criticism or customer complaints. I complained once and she asked me if I wanted to check out immediately because no one ever complains about her establishment and suggested I was not her kind of tenant (whatever that means, nonetheless I was offended). Hot tub was closed, the towels had wholes in them, and the room was freezing in the summer (where friends rooms where hot and needed to use the A/C). I used 2 space heater and they had a burning smell, I cut them off at night and slept in sweats and used two blankets, but I still froze. The only good thing about this place is they have tempurpedic mattresses and the daily cleaning of the rooms. This Pines Inn is extremely over priced for what you get, and the fact that the staff is unwilling to fix any issues makes it worse.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — Outdated Accommodations
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank XtremeTraveler11
ATL
Reviewed 17 April 2008

This is a great place for people (like me) who are more interested in charm than having every modern convenience. I loved the history, and the decor in my room. Easy walk to Main Street. I was there in early April, which is the start of "mud season", so the restaurant was closed (like many things in town), and the place was so deserted it was a little spooky for the first 2 days until more guests arrived. I definitely didn't have to worry about noisy neighbors.
The hot tub was definitely a plus, but it bleached my bathing suit out even though I rinsed it out each time. Nice lobby area.
The only inconvenience is no ice machine. You have to ask for ice, and there was hardly ever anyone in the lobby. I didn't want to ring for someone. Some of the rooms have bathtubs, some only showers. Also, mine did not have a mirror I could see in without dragging a footstool into the bathroom (I'm only 5'2")

• Liked — Charm & history
  • Disliked — no ice machine
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)