“POOL, HOT TUB & FIREPIT OUT OF COMMISION UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE”

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We come up to Lake Placid once per year and have always stayed here and enjoyed ourselves, as they provided a nice hotel at a good price with great rooms, wonderful beds, etc. Upon arrival this trip only after we checked in, we found the pool and hot tub as well as the outdoor fire pit were all "closed for repairs."

This would have been nice to know at the time of making the reservation, after making the reservation, or even upon checking in, but the counter person failed to mention this. It's like it was hidden for a reason...to get you to stay there and not go elsewhere.

We found out by changing into our swim suits and going down to the pool area...SURPRISE, WE'RE CLOSED ! If we had kids with us, we would have left.

The pool and hot tub are great amenities and without them it was tough coming back from a long day hike without that creature comfort to come back to. If you have kids, call before you go ! Its supposed to be closed for at least another week or two.

The outdoor fire pit was also closed for repair, and the staff did not turn on the indoor gas fireplace during our duration. They also got rid of the "complimentary" coffee in the lobby (you can now by Starbucks inside) and the "welcome home" cookies, previously put out each night are a thing of the past. My wife described the changes to be un-welcoming.

(Not the Courtyard's fault, but the main road leading to it from Lake Placid is closed for bridge repairs so you need to take a short 5 minute detour.)

Had we known all this, we would have stayed elsewhere, probably the new Hampton. $161 per night AAA discount is a lot for a hotel with no pool or hot tub. When we expressed our dis-satisfaction upon checking out today, we expected an "I'm sorry" and possibly an adjustment to the bill. No such luck.

Since the Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid did not and still does not advertise the "closed for repair" pool and hot-tub on their website, nor were we informed when making the reservation, or upon confirmation or even at check-in, I guess we will have to start calling the hotel before we arrive, to make sure everything advertised is actually available.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, its the quietest.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheFishinMagician
todd p, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

First, let me say that I'm sorry for the inconveneience for the pool being out of order. It was an emergency that we didn't know about in advance. We actually did put the infomation on our website a few days before your stay, as soon as we knew. Now I will try to address all of your concerns. Our Fire Pit has never been in operation, it is still under construction, and has never been advertised on as open. As for not being told at check-in, my entire staff was told to tell guests immediately, so we wouldn't run into an issue such as this. I wish I had your actual name, so I could find the staff member that checked you in, and address it. I'm very sorry for that. I have twin 6 yr. olds myself, and understnd the importance of a pool. As for the indoor fireplace, since the temperatures have finally warmed up to seasonal levels, we don't have it on constantly, but we will turn it on for anyone that wishes. Marriott no longer allows complimentary cookies or coffee once the new Bistro is constructed in the hotel, as the Bistro serves cookies and Starbucks as part of the menu. That is not a choice each property can make. Please call me personally the next time you will be in the area, and I will handle your reservation. Once again, I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, as you have in the past.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stay almost exclusively at Marriott properties if available and this is one of the finest. Great decor,sparkling clean rooms,very comfy beds and excellent breakfast and bistro service. Great stop all the way. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your great experince with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had the king suite with a fireplace and jaccuzzi tub. I chose the hotel because of the reviews and the lovely photos. We specifically wanted a hotel with an indoor pool to relax in at night. Our room was beautiful, except that the fireplace in the corner made it so the closet door would not open all the way. Apparently we chose the wrong weekend to visit...the place was full of young children running wild unsupervised. We were particularly upset when we went down to use the pool at the end of the evening and found it full of the kids (again, unsupervised). I love kids, I have 5 (they were not with us), but this group was out of control, jumping from the 2 hot tubs (which were attached to the pool) into the pool, splashing and throwing towels at each other in the pool and hot tubs. We saw all of this going on through the window in the hallway, and decided we would try again the next night. We continued on to the lobby, where we found the parents of these children drinking and having their own party. It was not the setting we were interested in, so we went to a local restaurant instead. The next night, we found the same thing with the pool and lobby. We are smokers and found a nice quiet corner outside where we could smoke without bothering anyone. Apparently we must have left empty packs in the trash can in our room because the hotel charged us $250 (without notice) because there was "evidence" that we had been smoking in the room, which did not happen. We spent $844 total for 2 nights in this place. We should have gone back to the Best Western Adirondack Inn where we normally stay. Lesson learned.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard L
todd p, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Richard,

We rarely charge anyone for smoking in the room, unless we have clear evidence of it. We keep details of each room we charge in case the guest calls back, as we may not know of the smoking until after checkout. We have no smoking on the registration card you sign, on table tents in the room, on the inside of the room door, and on our website. We take it very seriously, as we promise our guests that we have a non-smoking property. I don't have enough information to get in touch with you from your comment. If you would like to call me back, I can look into it further for you. You didn't specify your dates of stay, but I'm guessing from your review that it was a youth hockey weekend. I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I'm sorry you won't be staying with us in the future, but we would love it if you would give us another try.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were 4 persons for 2 nights in 1 room and we had a very good price including breakfasts (which is a very good buffet!). Location is good, but you have to take your car to go in Lake Placid for shopping, restaurants, bars. Near many mountains of the High Peaks for hiking and you have the spas + pool in the hotel to rest after a long hike! Service was good and the room was excellent, would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very nice hotel, great location, breakfast was okay, maybe a bit pricey for what was offered. Easy to access, proximity to town and to Whiteface mountain. Spacious room, nice bathroom but a little noisy. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here using a groupon for a 2 day stay with our teenage boys. The hotel was very clean, rooms were great and staff was wonderful. Just wish the pool was a little bit bigger. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
todd p, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much for the kind words about our property. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Lake Placid.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I was fortunate to be sent to the Lake Placid area for business. Lake Placid has always been and will always be one of my favorite places. I booked a night at this hotel. It was decent, staff was OK, and the room was nice. No complaints.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marty T
todd p, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey. We look forward to seeing you again when you're in town for business or pleasure.