“Great Quality, Good Value”

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Quality, Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at this Marriott a couple of times, most recently in May. Hotel is just outside downtown Lake Placid.

Room was very modern, clean, bed very comfortable - good quality overall.

Ate a quick dinner at the downstairs restaurant - food was very good! Great burger
and fries. Enjoyed the meal very much. Can also get "to go" box for convenience if that is your preference.

Front desk and restaurant staff super friendly and helpful - kudos on great customer service.

Used the fitness facilities - they were good, and looked like the hotel was in the process of renovating the pool at the time of my stay.

This is my "go to" hotel for comfort and convenience when I visit the Lake Placid area.

Very pleased and will return.

• Stayed May 2014
jason b, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Cm1515,

Sorry I didn't get your first name, but I wanted to thank you for your wonderful review about your stay with us. I really enjoy the bistro food myself, next time check out one of the salads we have. They are quite filling! You can look forward to a new look In april when we will start our rennovations of our rooms and updating the look. Please feel free to contact the property in the future for any help with an upcoming stay. And once again, thank you for your feedback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Warren, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed one night with 6 guys traveling through town on a cycling trip. Service at check-in was outstanding. Hotel is brand new, open and airy and has a nice warm feeling lobby with plenty of room for guests to spread out. They took care in giving us adjoining rooms on the first floor so we would not have to lug our bikes up the elevator. Room was nothing special but it was clean and quiet which are two important factors for me.
I particularly liked the breakfast options which were quick and served from a breakfast bar with modern and open seating and at a reasonable price.
To me what set this particular Marriott apart was the great service of the staff all around - particularly the front desk people.
Hotel was not cheap but I think in this case given the location and time of year it was good value for the market.

Room Tip: We were worried about having rooms near the bar but in the end it was not a factor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
jason b, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Bill,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I'll be sure to pass along to the front desk staff the news about your experience. I'm glad you got a chance to check out some of our new renovations and features. A lot of hard work went into it. In the future, do not hesitate to let us know if we can help you with a future reservation. Different times of the year yield different rates. Seems like you picked a peak time, but other dates can offer better deals and still allow you and your friends to enjoy the biking around the area. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to you coming back!
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The hotel experience was “okay" overall. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and decor in the room promoted relaxation. There was a mini fridge to help keep some of my drinks cool. Note that there is no microwave to re heat some of the left overs.

The moment we walked in, the lady behind the counter did not seem to enjoy her job or she just did not look happy. This sets the mood for the rest of the stay.

We were there for the big Ironman Lake Placid 2014. The main area where the beach and all the restaurants are located is a very long walk and you will need to walk a challenging hill to get there. I would not book here if you have friends or family that may find this difficult. i.e. Driving there would be fine but during the Ironman days, it is very difficult to find descent parking.

There is a Starbucks where you can buy your coffee at $$ and sandwiches that costs $$. The coffee in the rooms are to ignore and only to to be used as decor…honest, the coffee is brutal and so it their little coffee cup maker.

Before the race, the athletes are to carb load and the hotel offered this special (which you had to purchase for $$ ) of chicken tenders and fries. Umm…thank you but we will pass! Who thought that this would be an ideal “Ironman Meal” ? So plan to eat away from the hotel. There is a subway just down the road and the service there is great.

The exercise room had it’s regular little dumbbell, a very wide bench, 2 treadmills and some kind of elliptical. I like doing some free weights but found this challenging without any mirrors. Also, there is a non functioning water cooler there…so don’t forget to bring some water.

Next year or for any other special events, I hope to find another hotel. The cost was expensive, but it felt like I was in a no frill grocery store where you settle to spend less and pay $$ for anything extra. In the end, it would have cost the same if I were to have spent just a little more to be closer to the main event.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisaofottawa
Lisa,

Let me first say that I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your recent visit to our property. Couple things I wanted to update you on. 1- the front desk greeting. The greeting you receive at the front desk when you check in is crucial in setting the tone for a guest's stay, I couldn't agree more. I will have a meeting with our staff to better train them in this aspect. 2-not all rooms have microwaves. Our suites do, but not the standard rooms. There is however a communal microwave at the front desk for guest use. As for the coffee in the rooms? We are updating to new kureg machines and their coffee line. The quality should be outstanding with that company name. 3-driving around on ironman day is very difficult, because all the roadways are closed. That said. Our front desk staff has knowledge on where to park as well as ways of getting around on that day so it's less cumbersome. So in the future please do not hesitate to let us know how we can direct you around. And 4-regarding the meals on property. In the past we offered a buffet where athletes can carb load, but we found that due to the ironman dinner on Friday night provided by the vendor- ironman- that attendance was low. e had shifted our focus to the families and friends of the athletes. Given your response and a couple others, we will have a much better offering next year featuring pasta and chicken options. I hope this explains things better and gives insight that we will address all your concerns. I do honestly hope you give us a try next year. Our main focus is you the customer and ensuring that your stay in excellent and memorable. Please feel free to contact the property if you have any further questions. Thank you
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Companies are driven to make profits and exceed shareholder expectations. We all get that. For some companies, they can take your money, so swiftly and with a smile - you feel that the entire experience was worth it and there was value for your hard earned dollars. Then there are those companies, that simply lack tact when going after your greenback - such as Courtyard Lake Placid. During my recent Ironman, I knew that I would pay a lot for the room, ok..no problem. But it was the way the business ran itself. There was nothing that made the guest or the Athlete feel great. Nothing to spoil them...and it doesn't take a lot. A coffee, an apple a hello...pretty simple stuff. Nope - none of that and anything you asked for came at a price. Other hotels who catered to the more then 3000 Athletes + family went all out to show how thankful for the business they were. A couple of examples... the "Ironman Dinner Special" was french fries and chicken tenders - not sure who dreamed up this healthy combo - but calling that an "Ironman Special" - clearly the Chef needs to go back to school. Other Hotel - offered up, pastas, fresh chicken, healthy salads....They didn't have a clue. But what ticked me off I guess the most, was my wake up call. "May I have a wake up call at 3:45am", "Sure," the front desk answered.... "Great, thank-you. Will there be coffee at that time?" I asked, and the front desk replied, "I'll check one second....Yes, there will be coffee...but it'll cost you." And that it did...$4. There are many other choices in Lake Placid.... Chose an alternate - I've stayed at two other large chains there and these Hotels understand how to treat their guests.

Room Tip: away from ice machine
Green Features: Did not really see any opportunity to recycle or reuse
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David A
jason b, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
DMA70,

Let me first say that I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced on the property. Let me try and address those concerns. I was a little surprised to hear your impression that there was nothing there to make the athlete feel special or great. This year we had a cleaning station for the athlete bikes set up on the property as well as a cloth station so guests could properly clean their equipment off, IE bike chains and so forth. Another way we have supported our iron guests is setting up our front desk as an athlete check station. Friends and family can inquire at the desk with one of our associates to check on the athlete’s progression during the race. We changed our bistro ours to open earlier so that family and competitors alike can "fuel" up for the day. Regarding the ironman special for dinner. In past years we have offered a full pasta dinner buffet set up, but attendance was low due to the ironman dinner that is held on the Friday before the race to Carbo load. That dinner is provided by the ironman event for the athletes. So we turned focus on friends and family and offered an alternative seeing that they could not attend the ironman dinner. However, due to your points you brought up, we will look at offering something more specific to our athletes in the future. The last concern you had was regarding the coffee. Courtyards have recently undergone renovations to include the new bistro and Starbucks. For that reason, yes there is a charge for the coffee. Our brands standards do state though that complimentary coffee is available in the rooms as well as packets are available at the front desk.

I hope this explanation clears up any questions or concerns. We will take the necessary steps you brought up to try and improve further the guest experience during the ironman event. Please do not hesitate to contact our property for future reservations or questions. Thank you again for your feedback.
Wakefield, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This property has been a Courtyard for 7 years located about a mile from downtown Lake Placid. It tends to be expensive for a CY but is an attractive place which I’m sure is busy most of the year round. Very spacious lobby area with lots of seating (ideal for skiers), unique but small indoor pool, tiny exercise room (typical of the CY brand). Rooms were clean and comfortable, ample room, adequately furnished. As with the entire CY brand, there is no free breakfast- they do have prepared food for breakfast and dinner, but many options exist in the downtown area (5-7 minute drive). Free parking. About 40 minutes from the interstate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank edtoby007
jason b, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear edtoby007,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I really love the property here and its location. Us being a mile from the main strip means that you can have all of the fun of the night life and then come back to a nice quiet hotel. Our lobby is new as well. we went through an update last year. Our rooms will be soon to follow, so look forward to that fresh new look in the future. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your future stay(s).
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great friendly reception staff.
Beautiful rooms which were very comfortable - especially the beds.
Food is really nice.
Location is a little on the outskirts of Lake Placid.
The layout of the hotel is really welcoming and it was really nice relaxing in the lobby area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
jason b, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Fernie,

I love the beds that Marriott has. Any time I travel and stay at a Marriott I always sleep well. Ill be sure to let our front desk staff know about your kind words. I see you stayed in December? We will have to have you back sometime in the future, but maybe a different season. Thanks again for your review!
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. We traveled to pick up our son in Lake Placid who was training at the Olympic Training Center. The location is off the direct Main St. section around Mirror lake, but still very convenient to all the shops and restaurants.

The property is newer and the rooms are clean and very well appointed. We originally booked a standard room and stayed in it the first evening. The next day we learned that we had a friend of my son's needing to stay with us, so a larger room was needed. The front desk attendants were very helpful and arranged for us to move our room to a suite. The room was fantastic with plenty of privacy and room for all of us. Thank you Jason! Erik the front desk attendant does an amazing job! He is extremely helpful and friendly.

We did have the opportunity to use the pool area and it was also very nice. Overall the property was great and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Susan,

I am so glad to hear everything worked out well. I remember your party quite clearly. I'll be sure to tell eric that you appreciated his help. Keep us posted on when you may be up next. Thanks!