“Modern, Clean, and Comfortable Accomodations”

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Lake Placid while celebrating our anniversary in September 2008 and we loved it here. Our room was clean and more modern then most Courtyard's we've stayed at in other cities. I really loved our bathroom too. It was just a great room! We didn't mind the location being a short drive from town (under 5 minutes). The hotel is very new and kept well. We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar on the night that we stayed there and it was a fun atmosphere. Breakfast was included in our stay and it was very clean with a good menu. This is a great place to stay in Lake Placid!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OceanWonders

Reviewed 12 March 2010

This hotel is extremely unfriendly to hockey families attending tournaments at Lake Placid. At 10pm it sounds like lockdown in a prison with the security guards stomping down the hallways with radio communication chatter. When I criticized the security guard, he said, "get back in your room (prison cell, hahahaha) and stop irritating me!"

2  Thank Emzon
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We just returned from a ski and stay at the Marriott. We were amazed at the deal that we had - for app. $230 we were getting lift passes, breakfasts and accommodation per night for three of us. If you just drove up to ski Whiteface for just one day, it would cost app. $210 in lift tickets to buy at regular price. An amazing deal.
My one dissatisfaction would have to be the scattered quality of the service. As a Marriott Rewards member, I was able to request an early check-in. When I made this request, they even put in the request a little earlier than I needed just to make sure the room would be ready. But no luck, they were not ready for us until the regular time. The next day when we returned from skiing, it was 4:30-5:00pm and our room had not been serviced yet. Our beds were not made, etc. We went to the pool and when we returned it was done - we advised the manager that this was their chance to clean our room if they did not want us IN the room at the time. The next morning, we showed up at breakfast. There was a line-up, but many empty tables. They were really have problems clearing and setting up tables swiftly to accommodate the guests who were clearly running out of patience with their lack of organization. So service is not where this hotel will get its marks, they were quite hit and miss.
However, fortunately, there were other elements that brought its marks up. Our room was very comfortable. We took two queen beds, very cozy with plush duvets. The room was well-equipped with a fridge, coffee, wine bucket, good quality hair dryer, lots of towels, good tv that came with a listing of local stations - very handy for my son to home in on the cartoon network. We were on the second floor, and we never heard any noise. We used the pool area. The pool itself is not what I would call large, but good for families, particularly as it is not very deep. Two whirlpools, quite lovely when you are coming in from a long day of skiing. However, they should learn not to service them around 5pm when guests are returning from the ski hill (only one was operating when we returned on our second day - and it was very popular...)
The breakfast itself was very good. I love oatmeal with raisins and nuts, and they had exactly that, along with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, and an omelet station.
There is a very nice lounge area just off the breakfast area where you can sit by the fireplace, read a book, have a drink at the bar, take a free hot drink from the coffee station, read a complimentary newspaper, watch tv, play chess or checkers (there is even a baby grand piano on hand). Beside the reception desk there is a little convenience spot called the Market, where you can buy anything from razors to a sandwich, and have it charged to the room. The lounge area has a menu of quite satisfactory dishes that would do for supper, although they tend to tell people it is 'bar' food, but we were quite happy with it one evening for our dinner, since we did not feel like going out.
Other things to note: a good ski locker room with lock provided, and an iron for those who need to tend to their cross country skis (ask for a rag at the front desk to wipe off your skis at the end of the day, they gladly obliged); a small but nice exercise room with tv, faces onto the pool area; an area with computers and I believe internet access (I did not try it myself). It is an attractive, well laid out building, free outdoor parking. Too bad they have issues with their service, but I was impressed enough with the comfort of the rooms, the good food, the facilities, and the amazing deal, that despite the erratic service, I will still give it four stars. And by the way, if you are driving, I would not consider this far from town. No, you are not in the middle of the town center, but it suited us just fine.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Some here say it's far from town but the corner store is a short walk and they have everything you need. But being away from downtown means it's nice and quiet for sleeping. Sure you'll have to drive to see anything, so you might want to cab it if you have a few drinks, and there were plenty of happy hours between 3-6 when I was done skiing. The first floor room I had was only noisy in the morning when other guests got up and showered. Great deal if you get a package sale like I did. The hot tub was nice and pool was clean. I did not eat the breakfast so I can't comment on the food. The bed was comfy, lots of pillows. Hotel could have used a business centre, at least I did not see one.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Our family of 4 stayed in a King suite with a fireplace at the Courtyard in the mist of a really cold spur. We really enjoyed the room, and we did spent more time inside the hotel than expected. The room was simple, but spacious. We had one large bedroom with a tv, and a separate living room with pull-out couch, along with a tv, gas fireplace, desk and chair. We made good use of the mini fridge and microwave. There was tons of place of the kids to run around or settle down to play.

I really enjoyed all the storage places within the room. It was easy to keep tidy, even with children and things out to dry (either from the ski day or the pool).

We did have smelly carpet when we entered the room. However, the manager on duty quickly came to check it out and offered us breakfast the next day. This issue was resolved to my satisfaction. Once they sprayed the carpet, the smell was gone. The sofa bed was not comfortable. We could feel the springs. However, the real bed was really nice! Horrible parents that we are, once we decided to go to sleep, we'd move the kids from the bedroom into the living room.

Staff was truly amazing. They recommended restaurants and activities for us and were always really helpful and nice.

We loved the pool! And Lake Placid was truly cool. We had a car, so we found it was easy to get everywhere from the hotel. Free parking was a bonus.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2010

This hotel was what you would expect from a Marriott - very modern in decor, very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful from the front desk to the waiters at breakfast. I read a review that it was far from town. Not at all. Not in walking distance but its a 2 minute ride to the Main Strip of Lake Placid. About 8-10 miles or a 15 minute drive to the mountain but all of the hotels in lake placid are that far from the mountain. We stayed in the fireplace suite for three nights and it was very big with a separate living room area from the bedroom. Very comfortable. Pool and Jacuzzi area was nice. No roomservice which was a downside but seeing as there is so many restaurants to go to in Lake Placid you don't want to stay in your room!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2010

pros-liked the place, very clean, management friendly.
cons-rooms kinda small, not a lot of closet space and its 3 miles to town.

- we stayed over the new years week and had a very good time. everyone was nice at the hotel and it basically looks like a new hotel. ski room was convenient and great idea.
shuttle to town is a bit spotty, and coming back to hotel is very infrequent. I knew this when I booked the hotel, but my wife thought it was a hassle. ( I was there to ski.)
The shuttle to the mountain basically is non-existant. you need to take the alleged hotel/town shuttle to olympic center, then take the mountain shuttle to Whiteface. BIG hassle. the mountain shuttle makes several stops in town on its way to the mt.
with all that said, for me to stay there again, the price per night will need to be lower.... otherwise, I will just stay in town.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends