“Loved this place - Far from the madding crowd.”

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We (my husband and I, our 10 year old son, and our in-laws, who were visiting from out of the country) stayed at this hotel for one night in mid August 2010. We had planned on climbing Mount Marcy, but we had not made reservations well in advance as our trip was dependent on the weather. Booked this place a week before – our first choice was the Adirondack Loj, but there was no vacancy. My husband booked two rooms at this hotel for one night, Thursday. I checked the reviews on TA and was not quite sure what to expect, since the they were mixed. I figured it was only for one night and prepared myself for the worst.
After a 5 hour drive we arrived around 7:30 pm. Our GPS gave us directions that would have avoided the main street, but my husband decided to go through Main Street, so my in-laws would get a feel for Lake Placid. The hotel was located outside the main drag. We walked into the lobby and everything changed. It was relatively quiet and the receptionist was welcoming. The water feature mentioned by another reviewer was the first thing one sees and it looked clean.
Our first impression was a modern, tastefully decorated hotel. We went to our rooms and were delighted. It was spacious, modern, clean and just lovely. Our room overlooked the gazebo and the parking lot. There were no views of the mountains or lakes, but we were not expecting it.
We were starving, but I did not want to go to the Main Street, which was packed with tourists. I just wanted a glass of wine and an appetizer portion of something and a place to relax. After a quick shower my son and I went to the lobby. My husband settled his parents and came down as well. I had chicken fingers and a glass of red wine. There was one family with three children in the lobby bar and it was just lovely to relax, sip a glass of wine and eat my fabulous non-greasy chicken fingers (which is a treat as I eat deep fried chicken fingers only when I am on vacation!) My son had Fish and chips and he loved it as well. The lobby bar served us well. If the street was packed with tourists the restaurants would have been busy as well and we wouldn’t really have had a chance to relax. My in-laws came down to join us and we ordered desserts – Decadent Chocolate Cake and Raspberry Cheesecake (yum). The bar tender was efficient and friendly but not overly so.
Our plan was to check out early in the morning (5:30 am) and go on our hike. My in-laws would check out at noon and wait for us in the lobby until we got back from the hike 12 hours later. We wanted to make sure that they would be fine, since they are new to the country and speak in heavily accented English. The night receptionist told us that he would leave a note for the morning clerk and they could store their bags until we come. They could use the free trolley to sight see and there was a schedule available at the desk.
We checked out on Friday, hiked to Mount Marcy (5 hours up and 5 hours down), and returned to the hotel and our in-laws were waiting for us. They had a lovely day as well. They rode the trolley, walked around town and had a place to relax when they got back. There was complimentary tea and coffee available and they were free to partake of it. We were exhausted and hungry after our hike and we were glad to return to this hotel as well – the fact that it was away from Main Street was the best part for us. We had drinks and chicken fingers (again). We left around 5 pm and the lobby was getting more crowded and noisy than the night before. It was Friday and there were probably more people coming in for the week-end.
I am planning on coming back to this hotel during the low season, for some R&R. The fact that it is away from the main drag was the charm for me. Also, it was clean and new – there were no hairs in the tub. The mattress and pillow seemed soft when I lay down, but I fell asleep immediately. The rugs in the elevator need to be replaced – they were dirty as mentioned by another reviewer. I did not use the pool, so I cannot comment on it. I did sit on the bench outside with my son and my mother-in-law and it held up! I would think the free trolley would be the best way to travel if one wanted to go to Main Street – parking may be a problem, unless there are municipal lots. In the evening they put out a basket of free Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. They are gone in the morning so grab it when you can.
We cannot thank the staff enough for making our in-laws feel comfortable while they waited for us to return from our hike. They had checked out and the hotel had no obligation towards them but yet they cared.
I understand that this is a platinum courtyard. I just hope this hotel doesn’t get too popular - it is fine the way it is.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 August 2010

We were really surprised by this hotel. The whole place, outside and in, provides more than the average Courtyard Marriott. The building is in great condition and the room was fantastic for this standard of hotel. Pool is small but perfect for a morning dip.
It's an $8 cab ride to the centre of town. Good value considering lots of 'downtown' hotels are far more expensive and have terrible reviews.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I booked this hotel through a bid on Priceline so I was willing to take anything and did not have any expectations. It is a bit far from the main area requiring a short drive to the center. From all the large hotels in Lake Placid this has got to be the one with the worst location. The hotel also does not produce any views of anything, not even from the lobby. Staff was fine, was reminded that I was in "a priceline room". Room was large and fairly clean, however had a lingering smell that eventually went away. Overall, hotel filled our needs of a clean place to sleep within a relatively short drive to the main area. Staff was fairly friendly. I think this hotel is more equipped to winter vacationers then summer ones. Breakfast is also not free.....tons of options downtown at a fraction of the price. I would not stay at this hotel again, even though my stay was fine. Hotel had not character and was pretty blah.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nevets_83
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Generally an OK place to stay, unless you want to be in the center of the village, which this motel is not. Generally in a good shape. But... There is a water feature in the lobby that would be nice if it was clean - but it is dirty. There is a bench in front of the entrance which is a toy bench: don't even try to sit on it if you weigh more than 50 pounds. Swimming pool is nominal. Internet is available but incredibly slow. And many other small things of that sort, which, all together, make the place feel cheaper than it could be.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank mpdelnorte
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I've stayed at many Marriott's. This one was OK in comparison to the others. The decor is top notch, but the room needed some attention. The tub did not drain properly, so we had to stand in our dirty water as we showered. There was a long hair hanging from the wall in near the bathroom sink. They could have been more generous with the towels.

Breakfast was not free, but after checking it out, we decided to go downtown and were glad we did.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We booked our room on Priceline and paid $60 less than the going rate. We stayed on a Sunday night with our two children under 6. Priceline only guarantees you one bed, but the staff gave us a room with two when we asked. We showed up at 12 p.m. (right after checkout), and the staff person at the front desk arranged for our room to be made up more quickly so the kids and I could go rest. (Check in is normally at 3 p.m.) He also gave the kids treats from Nickelodeon to color/play with while we waited. Our stay was wonderful -- it's always nice to stay in a clean, newer, well-designed hotel where the staff are friendly and professional. The beds are the coziest! The kids loved the pool -- it's small and shallow and the water is really warm. There are also two hot tubs. We did have breakfast at the restaurant downstairs. Because of our cheap rate, it was not complimentary. But with the two kids, it was easy because we didn't have to drive anywhere. Even though the waiter was sweet and attentive, the food was not very good and there was way too much of it. Kids 3 and under eat free at the buffet, so that helped!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Courtyard by Marriott Lake Placid is a little far from the main street of Lake Placid (5 minutes driving), but without paying $300 price range, you won't get a decent room around the main street.
I read reviews on the other 2 hotels near the main street, and realized that their high ratings on Trip Advisor 99% from their $300 range newer rooms, reviewers paid under $200 and were not lucky enough to get free upgrade all left with unhappy comments. So, I decided not to take the risk.
I made a good choice !
The Courtyard was built recently. It's clean and quiet, front desk were very friendly, we paid the extra for the breakfast(it's still under $200), and it was fantastic.
Unless there is a event going on, It's easy to find a parking at main street, rate is cheap and after 6pm, it's free.
As over price for the hotels around the main street, so are the restaurants, be careful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple