“Nice location, nice hotel ...”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice location, nice hotel ...”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed at Golden Arrow for one night in May. The location is very convenient.

I can give them a 3.5 out of 5 for cleanliness but the staff deserves a 5++. They solved all our requests in a matter of minutes.

They have free wi-fi which works pretty well.

Overall we had a nice stay at Golden Arrow and will definitely go back in the winter for a few days of skiing at Whiteface.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are worth the money.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank True_North_SaF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Hebrew first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here one night and at the Mirror Lake Inn two nights. The Golden Arrow is an above-average hotel, although hardly of the quality of the Mirror Lake Inn. Then again, the prices weren't Mirror Lake Inn, either. It was a good bargain for a nice room with an incredible lakefront balcony. The downside, which couldn't be avoided, was the work that was being done along the waterfront outside the hotel (we're talking bulldozers and backhoes). This inn is definitely good value. Staff was extremely friendly. Best part of our experience (besides the view of the lake) was breakfast. Phenomenal!

Room Tip: Don't miss breakfast -- one of the best we've had (and we've had A LOT of breakfasts...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Golden Arrow during this past ski season and there was so much to love about it. Our room overlooked the beautiful frozen lake outside; the staff was friendly and helpful; our room was clean and sizeable; local hotspots were just a short distance away. We especially enjoyed the hot tub and pool, as well as the sauna and bar/club right beside it. We also really liked waking up in the morning to see a man building an igloo, and the dogs pulling fellow winter enthusiasts on sleds. Perhaps the only two disappointments were: 1. When we went to catch a shuttle across the street to take us to Whiteface Mountain, it was late, overcrowded, and we were told that we had to catch the next one in one hour. 2. It was pretty difficult to locate a microwave (our room was not equipped with one). But,looking back on the trip, we both agree that Golden Arrow was the way to go, hotel-wise, and overall, I'm sure that we will stay here again next time we visit Whiteface. Golden Arrow is certainly leading the way in "going green" and we want to continue to support that, as well as the great establishment that they are running. Thank you for making our first visit to Lake Placid a pleasant one!

Green Features: Thanks for encouraging environmentally friendly practices. A big thumbs up to you guys for all the green initiatives . . . they are inspiring!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Niskayuna, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Stayed here again for another hockey tourney. Best location in town. Good food. Good parking. Rooms are large for lots of sports stuff like hockey equipment. I left $5 on the bed for the housekeeper, but since it was not in the envelope - they didn't keep it. How's that for safe place to stay? Always stay here.

Room Tip: ask for lake side for amazing view
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scooter12309
Syracuse, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I've stayed at Golden Arrow for years and usually have a pleasant stay. The rooms are clean and up to date. The location is super convenient, right on Main St in Lake Placid - within walking distance from tons of restaurants and local attractions. My hubby and I especially love the Haystack suite with fireplace, in room jacuzzi, lakeside view. I came with my sister a few months ago and when we walked into the lobby to check in there was not a soul around. We peeked around the desk and saw that there were some people in the office in back, we not-so-discreetly made some commotion to announce our presence but remained without assistance. After 10 minutes, my sister finally walked into the back and into the private office and asked for someone to assist us. We were given a nice room on the road side and didn't realize until we were trying to sleep that night that the snow plow drove back and forth past our window that faced the neighboring building... all night long. So, definitely make sure you don't get a road side room that is next to the hat store (in the winter obviously). I was a little disappointed that when we checked in I told the receptionist that I forgot my card that offered my a free upgrade. Apparently the honor system wasn't accepted. See the photo below of my card ;) I chalked it up to my own forgetfulness. But when I asked later that evening if the front desk had a fork I could borrow I was told to go to the drug store and buy one. :( Maybe if I had ordered room service my answer would have been different? In any case, I still enjoy the Golden Arrow occasionally.

Green Features: I love the "green" roof garden, very cool.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Peds_Nurse_Kelly
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your repeat business. It makes us extremely happy when we hear that guests continue to choose us over other hotels in the area. I apologize that there was no one at the front desk to help you check in when you arrived, since you are a repeat guest, I’m sure you already realize that is not a normal practice at the Golden Arrow. I have informed the front desk staff of the problem that you experienced and will make sure it does not happen again.
We don’t normally get complaints about being able to hear the snow plows from our guest rooms so I am sincerely sorry that they disturbed you during your stay. I understand your disappointment about the upgrade card, unfortunately, not everyone is as honest as you and therefore we've made it our policy that if someone doesn't have that card they can’t get their free upgrade. Please feel free to bring it the next time you stay for a free upgrade. We don’t keep forks at the front desk, the restaurant definitely would have given you one to use, I apologize that the person at the front desk didn't refer you there.
Thank you for your review, we always love to hear what our guests have to say. We look forward to having you again soon! Safe and happy travel until next time!

Cheers,

Olivia Zeis
Director of Marketing
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This Hotel right on Lake, has nice beach area with easy walking distance to shops and bars. Bar has happy hour every day, shame barman was not happy.
We stay 3 nights end of April out of season so very quite at hotel and Lake Placid, but Ok for nice rest.
Food at hotel was OK but not that good. Large fridge in room very usefull.
Pool was dated and not very inviting.
Bedroom large with comfortable Beds,and nice bathroom. Room had car park view, I would reccomend lake view worth the extra cost.
The free to ride Trolly Bus stops outside the Hotel nice ride around Lake.
Would use this Hotel again because of location.

Room Tip: Room facing Lake on 3rd or 4th floor
Green Features: Environmentally friendly recycle's all plastic, glass, and paper. If you arrive in Hybred car you have car parking by Hotel entrance door and free gift
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hap123_13
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort. I’m glad you enjoyed our convenient location and comfortable guest rooms. I apologize that your meal at Generations was just “ok”; I do hope you informed the wait staff of the problem while at the restaurant. Generations is right now in the process of creating a new summer menu that will have many fresh ingredients sourced from local farms, I’m sure there will be many items that you would enjoy. Our pool was renovated in 2007 which I think makes it pretty up to date, I believe it suits the style of the hotel.
Again, thank you so much for your review. We look forward to your return to Lake Placid and The Golden Arrow!
My best,
Olivia Zeis
Director of Marketing
Savannah, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed here recently and we loved our view. This place is right on the lake. Our room was very comfortable. We had to stay at another hotel for a conference (Crown Plaza), but we were happy that we moved here for our last night at Lake Placid. It is not easy to know about a place by the outside photo. This is the place to stay for a vacation. The view is awesome. The staff were all nice. The price is so much much less (very good value). We were on the 4th floor and had a nice balcony.

Room Tip: ask for 4th/5th floor-lake view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple