“Lake Placid”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Very nice place. I would visit again without hesitation. Recommend it to all. Be sure to get a lake side room. The food was very good too. A good town for strolling the main street; an excellent restaurant is The Adirondack Steak and Seafood Restaurant.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms offer beautiful "wake up" views. Coffee on the balcony, very relaxing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Delta569,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our restaurant, Generations. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you’re in town!

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel has a lovely view of Mirror Lake and has made the most of its location. The common areas seem a bit run down but the room was large and comfortable. We had a beautiful view and patio doors that took us to the beach. The hotel was quite busy but we found it nice and quiet at night. The service was friendly enough, but inefficient. We returned to our room at 4:30 and it was not clean. When we called down, they said the cleaning staff worked until 7pm. Unusual, but we were fine with that. We finally had to call down at 7:30 because our room still was not clean. No apology was provided but someone was sent right away.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lagasse,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed the location of the resort, the view from your guest room, and the quiet atmosphere the hotel has in the evening.

I apologize for the delay in housekeeping service you experienced during your stay. We recently lost all of our seasonal housekeeping staff and are working on staffing for the winter season. I realize, though, that there is no excuse and you should have your room cleaned promptly like in high season so I truly apologize for the inconvenience. I have let my housekeeping supervisor know of the issue and she is addressing it with her staff.

I do wish you will stay with us again the next time you visit Lake Placid. Again, thank you for your review! I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I love the lake views from 401,and what's great about the arrow is it's got a indoor pool that the kids love.i can walk out my room which is 401 and out right to Main Street!the pool and the restaurant are all connected which is awesome.

Room Tip: 401 is right off Main Street and the views of the lake are beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear reddog12586,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m very glad you enjoyed the Golden Arrow’s indoor pool and quick access to Main Street. For readers of this review I wanted to state that room 401 is the Morningside Suite. It is a spacious two room suite (one room with one King size bed and the other with two queen size beds), with a small kitchenette, balcony overlooking Mirror Lake, and is directly connected to the Alpine Mall which empties out right onto Main Street. The Morningside Suite is great for families or multiple couples traveling together.

I hope you will stay with us again soon! There is only one Morningside Suite so if you’d like to book it again make sure you book in advance. Again, thank you very much for your review. I wish you safe and happy travels until the next time we meet.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We booked a room overlooking the Mirror Lake, which was lovely with views across to Whiteface Mountain. The room was clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was an 'unusual' colour, but everything worked well. We were unfortunately next to the lift shaft, which was quite noisy, but as there were only oldish people who seemed to go to bed early, it wasn't a problem (but it might have been in high season). The town is lovely, with pretty shops. There were plenty of good walks nearby.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Lake and not too near the lift!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear HAEJJAP,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Golden Arrow. I am very happy that you enjoyed your room and the lovely view of the lake and Mountains. We are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful spot. We have renovated many rooms (most importantly, the bathrooms) and are always working on more when we can find the time. Hopefully we will soon be rid of the unusual colored bathrooms, but as we are a very busy hotel it is a slow process.

Overall it sounds like you had a very nice trip to Lake Placid and I’m very glad. I hope you will visit us again, until then, I wish you safe and happy travels.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked this at the last minute so all they had left was a suite at $325 a night. We arrived early and were told they would get the room ready for us right away and they would call on my cell when the room was ready. We walked around for several hours..the call never came. We went back to the hotel at 4 and was told the room still was not ready and it would be another 40 minutes. After 50 minutes, we were told still not ready and it would be another 20 minutes. When we finally checked into our very expensive suite at 5:30, it smelled so strongly of PINE SOL! You would think that a hotel would take special care of guests of their very expensive suites. Instead, check in is at 3:00 for all the cheaper rooms and the suites, check in is at 4:00...so you get less time in a more expensive room. The room was just okay. The view from the balcony almost made up for the bad experience we had in checking in. Well, until we went to dinner at their restaurant. Every place else in town had a 1 to 2 hour wait. At Generations, we walked right in and there were empty tables everywhere. The food was passable but bland...no seasoning with the shrimp scampi or the steak and shrimp my husband got. Then our waiter never came to check on us again after he took our order. Someone else brought the food. After we finished, we sat there for 20 minutes and no one even looked our way or offered to bus the table. We could see our waiter Matt helping other diners outside on the deck but he never came back. We finally got up and went searching for the hostess so we could at least pay for our meal. It was insane. They gave us comp breakfast tickets for making us wait for hours to check into our room. But the food and the service was so poor at dinner, we skipped the free breakfast and went instead to The Breakfast Club restaurant and had a fantastic experience. The management of the Golden Arrow really needs to step it up in customer service if they want repeat business.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank girlwithamapjmp
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear judymcadoo,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow, I appreciate your feedback. I apologize that your room was not ready on time, recently we've lost most of our summer seasonal staff and although we are training new housekeepers, they cannot yet clean rooms themselves. The Larger suites take longer to clean and that is why they have the 4 pm check in time. I realize that this is no excuse and we should have had this under control. I am very sorry that you could not enjoy your complimentary breakfast.

I am also extremely sorry for the lack of service you experienced at our restaurant. We are taking action in this area and have implemented and are still implementing some different training and supervising positions there in the past week. We believe strongly that it will help eliminate instances like the one you named from happening.

I do hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. We take customer service very seriously here, I know that we could prove it if you stayed again. Again, I thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was our first trip to Lake Placid. My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort for 3 nights over the September long weekend. We were very happy with the location of the hotel and found it convenient for exploring the area. The hotel staff, ranging from the front desk reception to housekeeping, were very friendly and accommodating. We really enjoyed the private beach and having access to the free rental equipment on the water.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are worth the view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine S
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear soonshine,

I’m glad you chose to stay at the Golden Arrow for your first visit to Lake Placid! I hope you will return to LP and stay with us again. Thank you for complementing our hotel staff, they work very hard and it’s always nice when they’re recognized. It’s great that you were able to enjoy our beach and boats on Mirror Lake. You should also try a visit in the winter; it’s very different, but still very beautiful. There are dog sled rides on frozen Mirror Lake and we have a skating rink.

Thank you for your review. I hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had breakfast here when visiting Lake Placid last month. The staff were wonderful, and myself, my daughter, and my 7 year old Great Grandson, and almost 3 year old Great Granddaughter were treated royally. The food was excellent. I had the Buttermilk Pancakes,which were home made and mile high, with an aluminum pot of syrup, and butter plus sausages. My daughter had the Special egg breakfast and it was done to perfection. My Great grandson had the eggs and bacon & toast, and had no complaints and the little one had the fruits. The waitresses, and any of the other staff were very friendly, and the food was very reasonably priced. Will definitely go back if we return to Lake Placid.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear marilynr_brown,

Thank you for your review! I’m not sure from your review if you stayed at the Golden Arrow or only just ate at Generations Restaurant. Either way, I’m very glad you and your whole family were able to enjoy their breakfast! Our Head Chef, Dave Hunt, prides himself on serving food sourced from local farms whenever he can, you can really tell by how fresh everything on his menu tastes! We serve Real New York State Maple Syrup as well, which really makes a difference.

I’m very glad you enjoyed your breakfast at Generations and I hope you will stay with us next time you visit Lake Placid!