“Loved this hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Loved this hotel”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Can't fault this hotel. We had a wonderful room overlooking the lake which was like a mirror and the fall colours were superb. Food was very good, service excellent, great staff. Situated in centre of Town and very convenient for shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Ab_roody,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m delighted that you were able to enjoy the fall season at the Golden Arrow. It’s a very beautiful time to experience the Adirondacks. Thank you for your kind compliments of our food, service, staff, and convenient location.

I hope you will be able to come back and visit again soon!

My Best,
Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Hebrew first
DANVILLE
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were part of a large group staying in this hotel and we all arrived earlier than anticipated. As soon as the rooms were ready, which was before the check-in time, the front desk accomodated us. Their service was courteous and friendly, and they didn't mind having our bicycles held inside the front door while we waited.

The rooms were amazingly large, and updated, and we immediately noticed the beautiful view of the lake from our room. Everything we needed was provided, including hair blower, robe, and the usual goodies associated with a 4 star hotel. The only thing we found confusing with this hotel was getting from one end of the hotel to another. Sometimes we had to go down one floor on the elevator, switch to another elevator to eventually get to our destination inside the hotel.

Especially convenient during inclement weather is the ability to access a small inside shopping mall which feeds to the outdoors, without having to walk a distance outside the hotel's front entry to get to the street.

Our bicycles were conveniently stored inside the hotel in a lower floor room.

There was no restaurant or continental breakfast associated with this hotel, but there are plenty of options within a few blocks of the hotel. The Olympic skating rink is practically directly across the street for those who want to see a bit of sports history in action.

The hotel is centrally located and easy to get to by bike. Both car and pedestrian traffic was a bit of a hassle even during October, but it's navigable.

We highly recommmend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake, and stay at least on the third or fourth floor for the best...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear bhailey,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of the Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort. It’s great to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay. I will admit that the layout of the resort can be confusing at times; this is because the building was added to by the Holderied family many times over the course of 40 years. We try to make sure no one gets lost by having adequate signage and making sure that our employees are around to help when needed.

We actually do have a restaurant attached to the hotel, it’s called Generations and they serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their specialty is farm to fork cuisine, utilizing many fresh ingredients from the farms of the Adirondacks. You should definitely check it out next time you’re in town.

I’m very glad you enjoyed the resort; I hope you and your group will stay with us again! I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Very nice place. I would visit again without hesitation. Recommend it to all. Be sure to get a lake side room. The food was very good too. A good town for strolling the main street; an excellent restaurant is The Adirondack Steak and Seafood Restaurant.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms offer beautiful "wake up" views. Coffee on the balcony, very relaxing.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Delta569,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and our restaurant, Generations. I hope you will stay with us again the next time you’re in town!

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a lovely view of Mirror Lake and has made the most of its location. The common areas seem a bit run down but the room was large and comfortable. We had a beautiful view and patio doors that took us to the beach. The hotel was quite busy but we found it nice and quiet at night. The service was friendly enough, but inefficient. We returned to our room at 4:30 and it was not clean. When we called down, they said the cleaning staff worked until 7pm. Unusual, but we were fine with that. We finally had to call down at 7:30 because our room still was not clean. No apology was provided but someone was sent right away.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lagasse,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed the location of the resort, the view from your guest room, and the quiet atmosphere the hotel has in the evening.

I apologize for the delay in housekeeping service you experienced during your stay. We recently lost all of our seasonal housekeeping staff and are working on staffing for the winter season. I realize, though, that there is no excuse and you should have your room cleaned promptly like in high season so I truly apologize for the inconvenience. I have let my housekeeping supervisor know of the issue and she is addressing it with her staff.

I do wish you will stay with us again the next time you visit Lake Placid. Again, thank you for your review! I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again.

Walden, New York
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I love the lake views from 401,and what's great about the arrow is it's got a indoor pool that the kids love.i can walk out my room which is 401 and out right to Main Street!the pool and the restaurant are all connected which is awesome.

Room Tip: 401 is right off Main Street and the views of the lake are beautiful!
Green Features: I think it's good that they practice environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear reddog12586,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m very glad you enjoyed the Golden Arrow’s indoor pool and quick access to Main Street. For readers of this review I wanted to state that room 401 is the Morningside Suite. It is a spacious two room suite (one room with one King size bed and the other with two queen size beds), with a small kitchenette, balcony overlooking Mirror Lake, and is directly connected to the Alpine Mall which empties out right onto Main Street. The Morningside Suite is great for families or multiple couples traveling together.

I hope you will stay with us again soon! There is only one Morningside Suite so if you’d like to book it again make sure you book in advance. Again, thank you very much for your review. I wish you safe and happy travels until the next time we meet.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We booked a room overlooking the Mirror Lake, which was lovely with views across to Whiteface Mountain. The room was clean and comfortable with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was an 'unusual' colour, but everything worked well. We were unfortunately next to the lift shaft, which was quite noisy, but as there were only oldish people who seemed to go to bed early, it wasn't a problem (but it might have been in high season). The town is lovely, with pretty shops. There were plenty of good walks nearby.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Lake and not too near the lift!
Green Features: I am a keen environmentalist and so was pleased to see that the Hotel had made a good effort to do their bit.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear HAEJJAP,

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Golden Arrow. I am very happy that you enjoyed your room and the lovely view of the lake and Mountains. We are very lucky to be situated in such a beautiful spot. We have renovated many rooms (most importantly, the bathrooms) and are always working on more when we can find the time. Hopefully we will soon be rid of the unusual colored bathrooms, but as we are a very busy hotel it is a slow process.

Overall it sounds like you had a very nice trip to Lake Placid and I’m very glad. I hope you will visit us again, until then, I wish you safe and happy travels.

Finger Lakes, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked this at the last minute so all they had left was a suite at $325 a night. We arrived early and were told they would get the room ready for us right away and they would call on my cell when the room was ready. We walked around for several hours..the call never came. We went back to the hotel at 4 and was told the room still was not ready and it would be another 40 minutes. After 50 minutes, we were told still not ready and it would be another 20 minutes. When we finally checked into our very expensive suite at 5:30, it smelled so strongly of PINE SOL! You would think that a hotel would take special care of guests of their very expensive suites. Instead, check in is at 3:00 for all the cheaper rooms and the suites, check in is at 4:00...so you get less time in a more expensive room. The room was just okay. The view from the balcony almost made up for the bad experience we had in checking in. Well, until we went to dinner at their restaurant. Every place else in town had a 1 to 2 hour wait. At Generations, we walked right in and there were empty tables everywhere. The food was passable but bland...no seasoning with the shrimp scampi or the steak and shrimp my husband got. Then our waiter never came to check on us again after he took our order. Someone else brought the food. After we finished, we sat there for 20 minutes and no one even looked our way or offered to bus the table. We could see our waiter Matt helping other diners outside on the deck but he never came back. We finally got up and went searching for the hostess so we could at least pay for our meal. It was insane. They gave us comp breakfast tickets for making us wait for hours to check into our room. But the food and the service was so poor at dinner, we skipped the free breakfast and went instead to The Breakfast Club restaurant and had a fantastic experience. The management of the Golden Arrow really needs to step it up in customer service if they want repeat business.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank girlwithamapjmp
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear judymcadoo,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow, I appreciate your feedback. I apologize that your room was not ready on time, recently we've lost most of our summer seasonal staff and although we are training new housekeepers, they cannot yet clean rooms themselves. The Larger suites take longer to clean and that is why they have the 4 pm check in time. I realize that this is no excuse and we should have had this under control. I am very sorry that you could not enjoy your complimentary breakfast.

I am also extremely sorry for the lack of service you experienced at our restaurant. We are taking action in this area and have implemented and are still implementing some different training and supervising positions there in the past week. We believe strongly that it will help eliminate instances like the one you named from happening.

I do hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. We take customer service very seriously here, I know that we could prove it if you stayed again. Again, I thank you for your feedback.