“Nice view-great housekeeping staff but Horrible food”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Nice view-great housekeeping staff but Horrible food”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Our family stayed at this hotel as part of a hockey tournament. The rooms were adequate. I booked a suite and found it to be a bit tired and in need of renovation. The view was lovely, and the housekeeping staff were very nice. However, the the meal plan that was offered as part of our package was deemed by the whole team to be so gross that we decided as a group to eat all the meals outside of the hotel. Although several of us complained to the wait staff about the food and the greasy dishes they were served on, we got the usual "sorry" and "shrug." I took my complaint on behalf of the whole team to the front desk who told me to contact the hockey association that booked it -despite the fact that they did not make the food. When I returned home I sent an e-mail regarding my concerns about the food and asked for reimbursement of the meal portion. My concerns were dismissed, and I was told that the staff did not receive any complaints, essentially claiming that I was lying. Don't stay here-and definitely don't eat here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sleeplessintoronto12
GoldenArrow, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you for your review of our resort. I am the owner and the person who you wrote to after you had departed. I also work in close partnership with CanAm, the hockey company who put on the tournament here in Lake Placid. We host these tournaments 16 - 20 weekends per year and have been doing so for decades. They are wonderful tournaments that bring an air of excitement to the resort and village. During these tournaments we are feeding anywhere from 100 - 400 athletes and their families. Obviously the restaurant operates differently during those weekends to accommodate those numbers. The food is buffet style with a "kid friendly" selection, an alternative of different pasta options and several stations including a carving station and dessert buffet. Definitely a different atmosphere than the plated, served meals we usually offer. However, we get great reviews for quality and efficiency from nearly all the teams that stay here. If there is an issue, be it dietary or someone not pleased with the service we always address it immediately. I am so sorry that you were not satisfied.

In your case, no one reported to management any issue with the food service over that weekend. I heard no complaints until I received your letter several weeks later. It is certainly not true that entire teams did not eat the buffet over that weekend. We count of the meal passes and keep track.

We always do our best to make sure that all of our guests are happy with the service they receive whether they are travelling with a huge hockey tournament or just as an individual. I do hope you enjoyed Lake Placid and hope you will be back.
Jenn Holderied
GM/Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Hebrew first
Troy, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We just stayed here & it was great -- stayed several times over the years as well. I was worried because we made our reservations several months ago for the Holiday Stroll weekend but we received an e-mail "warning" us that there was a hockey tournament booked too. We almost cancelled but glad we did not -- no issues at all. No more noise than any other hotel. Clean room & great location. Good breakfast next door/attached restaurant. Park the car & walk everywhere in town!

Green Features: Very GREEN !! Green roof & energy saving light bulbs plus recycling bins!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Upstatekl,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I’m extremely glad you did not find the hockey teams staying with us to be an issue. We always have extra security and do our best to keep noise at a minimum so hearing the hard work paid off is very satisfying!

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Golden Arrow. I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Albany, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The hotel is perfectly located avoiding any parking hassles in the village of Lake Placid. The hotel staff is friendly and very helpful. A great place to stay. Excellent breakfast at the Generations restaurant. Terrific omelet folr $9.00.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Winston H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Golden Arrow. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s great to hear that you appreciated our wonderful location and helpful staff. I look forward to your return to the resort in the future.

Thank you again for your review. I wish you safe and happy travels until we meet again!

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Let me preface by saying the room was superb, the view was spectacular and the staff was very polite and gracious. My wife and I even ate at the the hotel's restaurant, which by the way was very good, yet there is a but in the title. I had injured myself about a week prior to our trip and had difficultly walking, I checked in and they gave me a parking pass and direction were to park. We parked and meandered toward the door with luggage and the works in tow, to find out there were only stairs to go up or down (depending on room location), we with the grace of god were going down. This was no small task for me being hobbled and all, we did get to the room and called the front desk, whom informed us we could certainly move our car to the front, slight hesitation, if you can find a spot. We could not find a spot. When we left the next day, I dragged the luggage to the front desk to check out, took the elevator, but there were still some stairs to go up. My wife brought the car around to the front, she did not injury herself, So if you has some sort of injury or disability make plans in advance and keep this in mind when checking in find a spot up front ASAP, there are few available. But overall I really did enjoy the room and staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MRWHITE10
GenerationsLP, Director of Maketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear jymme,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your guest room, spectacular view, and our polite staff. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when trying to find your room from one of our parking garages. I understand that the setup of the hotel can be confusing at times because the hotel underwent many additions over the years.

I’d like to think that if you had mentioned that you were having trouble walking that a member of our staff would have told you about a better option of parking, either in the top lot or near a door with an elevator. If you did mention it to them, though, and they still sent you where they did then I must again deeply apologize. I did print this out for our front desk manager and she is going over it with our front desk staff to ensure that situations like yours will be handled differently in the future.

Thank you again for your review, I wish you a speedy recovery from your injury! I look forward to seeing you when you stay with us again.

My Best,
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Wow, what a place. We only stayed one night this week but will be back for a longer stay. We stayed in the Haystack on the 5th floor. The room had a jacuzzi tub, fireplace, lanai overlooking Mirror Lake, and the bed was perfect. The snow Sunday night was the cherry on the sundae, what a perfect winter wonderland.

The only glitch was waiting for the room. We were told 4pm checkin, which is extremely late for any property. We waited around until almost 5pm to get the room. The GM should really prioritize having the rooms ready by 3pm. For the price, we'd like to have every minute we pay for.

Room Tip: Choose the Haystack on the 5th Floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dcjw700
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear dcjw700,

Thank you for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you enjoyed your Haystack Specialty Room. It is one of my favorites, definitely the perfect room for a snowy retreat.

I apologize that your room was not ready for you on time. Although it is true that on Sundays we normally have a complete turnover of the hotel from the busy weekend, there is no appropriate excuse for you not being able to check in until 5pm. I have alerted my head of housekeeping about this situation and she is looking into ways to make sure that this doesn't happen anymore.

It’s great to hear that you will be back! We look forward to having you again, until then I wish you the safest and happiest of travels.

Canton, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have been staying at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort for years and years. It's a family tradition that every year on the day after Thanksgiving we make the trek from wherever we are in the country to Lake Placid, NY to kick off our holiday season. Golden Arrow is always very warm and welcoming. The decor is a little dated but perhaps that's because I always stay on their pet-friendly floor with my dog. (Yes! They are super pet-friendly!) My room is always clean and views of Mirror Lake are fantastic! Centrally located, we walk to all the fun shops, restaurants, and bars nearby. Their indoor pool is open year-round but I always seem to forget my bathing suit. My favorite part of the whole hotel is the big stone fireplace in the lobby. Lots of quality time spent with my family, sipping hot chocolate by that warm fireplace with great views of the lake.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are amazing. Don't be afraid to bring your dog!
Green Features: We've only got one earth and we've all got to share it. Golden Arrow does what they can to clean up their environmental footprint and that should be important to everyone. Kudos for making the effort!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear jk0842,
Thank you for your review of the Golden Arrow! I love that you’ve incorporated us into one of your family’s traditions; what a great way to start off the holiday season. We are a family owned business so seeing families enjoy themselves at the resort is one of my favorite things.

I’m very glad you enjoy our lake views, clean rooms, central location, and large lobby with our stone fireplace. We are always updating our rooms, last year we brought in the first of the third Generation Holderied family member to work at the resort full time. Her title is Director of Beautification, and she has been going through every room and making updates. I’m sure you will notice the improvements year after year.

Thank you again for your great review. We look forward to having you again in a couple weeks! Safe travels, see you soon.

New Hartford, NY
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stay at The Golden Arrow every year in June to celebrate my birthday. We usually get a room on the lake with a fireplace. The beach is of white sand and has breathtaking views of the mountains. We look forward to this trip every year. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are immaculate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear adkhiker14,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow and for your continued loyalty. The “friendly” staff of the Golden Arrow are honored that you choose to spend your birthday with us every year. It makes all of the heard work worth it!

Our white sand beach is not only beautiful, but it is an example of one of our green practices. It helps counteract the effects of acid rain and keeps Mirror Lake clean! I’m very glad you enjoy it as well as the beautiful mountain views and guest rooms.

We will see you in June, if not sooner! Happy travels until then.