“Very nice”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed for three nights on a ski trip before Christmas. In all, a great experience. Wonderful location in the center of town across from the Olympic Center and right on the lake. Although we did not pay for a lake-view room we got one anyway. Our room was very large and cheerfully decorated. The bed and the bedding were very comfy. There was also a new flat screen TV and fridge. A nice shower. The indoor pool, hot tub and sauna were great. Breakfasts were included and were great. Staff was friendly. I also appreciate the hotel's ecological initiatives. I would definitely stay here a again. the underground parking was also a plus when it is below 0 a night

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear kibbabibba,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Golden Arrow for your pre-Christmas ski trip. I’m so glad you had such a great experience. It’s wonderful that you enjoyed your lakefront room, as well as comfy bed and our indoor pool area. I want to also thank you for pointing out our ecological initiatives as we spend a lot of time and thought into running a sustainable business.

I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Lake Placid. Have a wonderful 2014!

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I just returned from three nights at the Lake Placid Golden Arrow with my family there for a hockey tournament. For much of my life I have driven by and always noticed it was both an attractive property and seemingly ever popular. Now I know why after my first stay. All-around excellent experience let me name a few top reasons:

1. Fantastic, beautiful location right on Mirror Lake, minutes away on foot to nearly everything in central Lake Placid. You can park your car and leave it!!! I see they have Whiteface ski shuttle too.
2. Clean, quiet hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Hotels looks like it has undergone some fairly extensive renovations and upgrades.
3. One of the best non-resort hotel pools and sauna area I've seen in a hotel outside all inclusive resorts. Large main pool and two hot tubs with both steam and dry saunas.
4. Nice bar and restaurant - normally I eat and drink outside of hotels but was pleasantly pleased. The upper seating area is particularly inviting with lake view and comfortable seating.
5. Convenient covered parking great for snow or rain.

My only issue was occasionally spotty Wi-Fi but this could have been my mobile device? To management only suggestion is to enforce your posted policy of no outside food and drinks in main lobby. Saw this only one evening with a large party munching on pizza and tossing back bottles of beer and it was sort of a turn-off for such an extremely well managed property.

I will definitely return again for future visits. Summer stays look great with beautiful pictures of the lake and beach. For winter visitors - don't miss the dog sled rides in front. Great fun and a real value!

(For comparison check my review of the nearby Northwoods Inn from a few years ago. Difference between these two hotels could not be more extreme.)

Room Tip: Of course ask for Lake View room. Higher the better except for summer when easy beach access might...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Suitcase_Sherpa,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m glad you were able to give us a try for your recent trip to Lake Placid. It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed our location on Mirror Lake, the clean and quiet atmosphere we have, our large pool area, Generations Restaurant, and covered parking garages. I truly appreciate you pointing out all of those items.

To address your issues with the stay, the Wi-Fi can occasionally be spotty, mostly if you have an iPhone. iPhones often don’t remember the password so you do have to continue to log in every time you use it. As far as the people with the pizza in the lobby, this is not something that we normally allow. Unfortunately that does fall upon the staff working at the Front Desk to enforce, and sometimes they aren't as strict as we would like them to be. We do want all of our guests to have a good time while they are staying with us, but it cannot compromise the good time of another guest. Normally, we have a room on the first floor of the hotel that we allow guests to rent for pizza parties. I deeply apologize that these guests were disruptive. I have sent a note to the front desk staff reminding them that it is their duty to shut these parties down.

You should most definitely stay with us in the summer. It is a beautiful time to be on Mirror Lake; our white sand beach is a must see. I hope to see you back at the Golden Arrow soon, until then; I wish you safe and happy travels!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I planned a romantic get-a-way to Lake Placid. We selected the Golden Arrow Lakeside resort. We loved our room and the hotel was wonderful. We had the "Haystack" room with an in-room hot tub, fireplace and a wonderful view of Mirror lake and the mountains!
However, we were still disappointed. We had lived up in Alaska for 20 years and never got to go for a dog sled ride. When we saw the Golden Arrow offered these rides we called to confirm a reservation. They explained that the dog sled was run by an independent operator who worked through the hotel. The dog sled ride was the reason WHY we selected this hotel! We were told by the hotel that:
the dog sled would be there everyday from 10:00 to 4:00. Well, he wasn't and he didn't even give any notice that he wouldn't be there. It certainly wasn't the weather that stopped him. The hotel was nice about it but explained they had no control over the guy.
Please DON'T advertise that you offer "DOG SLED RIDES" and feature pictures of it, if you can not deliver on the offer!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mickee23
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Mickee23,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. I’m so glad you enjoyed your Haystack guest room. I apologize that you were not able to go on a dog sled ride during your stay. After reading your review I added to our website the hours that the dog sled rides typically happen and that it is an outside operator who runs them. He usually is here Thursday through Sunday from about 10am to 4pm. I’m writing this response on a Friday and he is here, but he could not be here yesterday because his truck was out of service. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about instances like this. Again, I truly wish you were able to take the ride while you were here.

I hope you will stay with us again, I wish you safe and happy travels until then.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We went for a skiing weekend after Christmas. The staff gave us a wonderful gift with local goodies when we checked in. Our room was very comfortable and spacious, we had a great view of the lake. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They provide tea, cocoa and cookies in the afternoon and one night was smores night. Only complaint I had is minor - I am a tea drinker and the keurig only had coffee. The steam and jacuzzi was wonderful after a day outside.

Room Tip: You want the view of the lake!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Bonnie5901,

I’m very glad you enjoyed our special holiday traditions, like giving out locally made gifts, having hot chocolate and cookies in the lobby, and having s’mores. We do have green tea Kuerig K-cups behind the front desk so next time you stay with us be sure to stop down and we’ll give you some.

Thank you for your great review. I hope to see you at the Golden Arrow again soon.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We went to lake placid for our honeymoon. I had no idea where to stay so I relied on trip advisor reviews to give me a clue. This place was very nice. Our room was very clean and excatly as described in the picture. We stayed in the haystack suite. The bathroom was amazing. The bed was comfortable. The hotel was right on the main street very close to shopping and restaurants. Only negative was the maid didn't come to clean the room till like 430pm, and we had to sit in the lobby till that was done. This place would be spectacular In the summer. It is right on the lake. We would stay here again. The restaurant is so so. There are so many to choose from it really doesnt matter.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear tricia6870,

Thank you for reviewing the Golden Arrow. It’s great to hear that you chose to stay with us for your honeymoon; the haystack room is a great choice for that kind of occasion. I apologize that you did not receive maid service until the afternoon. There are many reasons why this can happen, but I won’t bore you with those here. I have found your reservation history and brought this to the attention of our Housekeeping supervisor so she can speak with the housekeeper on the floor you stayed on and try to resolve the issue.

I truly appreciate your feedback. I hope you will stay with us again next time you travel to Lake Placid. Best wishes for a happy and successful marriage!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We vacationed in Lake Placid for the 6th straight year this past December and chose the Golden Arrow Resort on Mirror Lake in downtown Lake Placid. Great location and close to everything but most importantly, the people were great and from the check in to the room we were given everything was just enjoyable. The room overlooking Mirror Lake was comfortable and quickly became "home" for our stay. I highly recommend a stay at the Golden Arrow Resort if you are visiting Lake Placid. Have breakfast at their Generations restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd floor which is actually the main floor from the front. 3rd floor from the lake. Get a...

Dear Ian G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow, and thank you for choosing to stay with us for your trip to Lake Placid this year. I’m very glad you enjoyed our location, your comfortable guest room, and our great staff. I love that you could call us home for your time here. I hope you will stay with us the next time you’re in the area; we look forward to having you.

Cheers to a happy and healthy new year!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife myself and are two kids stayed from Dec 30 until Jan 5th for skiing and a hockey tourney The weather had to be the coldest of the winter but the resort was very warm and comfortable, we really enjoyed are stay. The staff were very very helpful they went above and beyond, one of the front desk ladies offered to go out after her shift ended to pick up something from the store for my wife and one of the house keeping ladies after telling us of a great cupcake shop went without us asking her and bought us a box of them and gave them to us as a gift. We have stayed in a lot of hotels over the years but have never had this service. Overall we loved the Golden Arrow and all that Lake Placid has to offer, main street is like something out of a movie. The one draw back about the restaurants in the area is they refuse to give separate bill's even if it is only two families it all goes on one bill, when you ask why the answer is separate bill's are too confusing. I have owned a restaurant in a tourist town in Ontario for 22 years and we deal in large groups all the time and always give separate bill's when asked

Room Tip: The lake view rooms have a breath taking view of the mountains
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Cecilia D,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of the Golden Arrow. I’m ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was able to go above and beyond their regular duties for you, we strive for that kind of excellence at all times.

I apologize that some of the local restaurants do not have the ability to give separate bills. I did check with the manager of our restaurant, Generations, and she said that the reason that they don’t separate checks for groups of 5 or more is because they have to put the orders in separately and then most of the time that means that the food doesn't all come out at the same time. It’s also often difficult to keep track when children are staying at different tables from the parents and such. She did say that they will split up the check into however many forms of payment are necessary.

Thank you again for your review. I hope you will stay with us again soon. Happy New Year!