“Perfect romantic getaway...”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed from Monday, Feb. 3 to Wednesday, Feb. 5. Everything was terrific. Our room was ready for early check in as requested. The young ladies working at the front desk were friendly. As soon as we entered our room, I was relaxed. The green cleaning products they use gave it a pleasant, fresh scent. We stayed in the "Haystack suite" and it was perfect. Our view was beautiful, the tub relaxing and the fireplace warm and comforting. The plush robes provided became our wardrobe whenever we were in. Unfortunately, I came down with a migraine on Tuesday, but was able to rest as the hotel was quiet . We are looking forward to staying again and again!

Room Tip: For a romantic escape, you cant go wrong in the Haystack Suite.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear sassy94,

Thank you for your review of the Golden Arrow. I am very glad you had such a wonderful romantic getaway at the resort, I could not have described the Haystack room better myself! It’s unfortunate you came down with a migraine during your stay, but I’m glad you were able to rest quietly.

We look forward to having you back at the Golden Arrow very soon. I wish you the safest and happiest of travels until we meet again.

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I was very upset when I went to book my annual Labor Day weekend trip today. We have stayed here every Labor Day weekend for 6 years now and we absolutely love it. Rates seem to have been steady the past few years. I even went back through my credit card statements to make sure. We always get lakefront with double beds. Last year I paid $189 for sat night and $139 for sun night. This year it's $249 each night! After taxes and fees it's almost $200 more this year. Unfortunately it looks like our annual lake placid Labor Day weekend is coming to an end. Its a shame because we love the golden arrow and won't stay anywhere else in lake placid. It had become a tradition and something my family looks forward to every year. Kids are going to be bummed.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank MarkFromUpstateNY
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Mlucas2,
Thank you very much for the feedback, I sincerely apologize that our price increase has been upsetting for yourself and your family.

I looked at our rates for a lakeside room with two queens for Labor Day weekend this year and they’re actually $229 per night, I’m thinking the $249 you saw was actually for a Lakeside room with one King bed. I also noticed that you paid $169 for Sunday night last year so the total increase you would be paying this year is actually just over $100 (as the tax rate for hotels has increased this year as well). I realize that this is still a substantial increase from previous years, especially when traveling with a family of four. Rates normally go down on Sunday nights, but as that particular Sunday is a holiday, this year the rates are remaining the same as the weekend rate.

I truly hope you will reconsider and stay with us this year to continue your Labor Day tradition. We also have Village Side accommodations available for a lower rate as well. You don’t have the view of the lake from your room, but they are still very nice and you have access to all of our wonderful amenities. Please feel free to reach out to me via email at olivia@golden-arrow.com with any questions. I wish you a happy 2014.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just returned from a 2 day stay. This has to be the best experience we've had at a hotel. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Employees in the hallway said hello, enjoy your stay, helped us find our room. Even other guests smiled and said hi. Our room was great. Clean, decorated nicely. Enjoyed the fireplace in our room. The pool and hot tubs were nice. A changing area in the pool area was appreciated. We didn't have to walk through the hotel in our bathing suits. It was nice that we could access the restaurant without going outside since it was quite cold. The underground parking was a plus. I would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and that had a great view of the Lake.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Linda D,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Golden Arrow. I’m very glad you had such a great experience staying with us. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our pool and hot tub area, nicely decorated guest rooms, as well as convenient access to our restaurant and underground parking. Thank you in advance for recommending our hotel to your friends, that’s the biggest complement of all!

I hope you will stay with us again soon, thank you for all of our kind words.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort is blessed by its location, implied in its name. It has a great view from the main lobby/reception area to the lake via the huge window.

I stayed at one of the apartments which had one bedroom/living room and then two separate (private) bedrooms. It also had a small but functional kitchen - with a Keurig coffee machine! The furniture of the apartment is nothing to write home (not luxurious) about but does the job; not sure how the regular rooms are. The only thing about the apartment I stayed at is that above it are stores so if you want to sleep late, these apartments may not be the ideal spot in the hotel to be. We woke up at a "normal" time so we began to hear footsteps above only once we were up and about so it was not an issue.

Most important to me - the apartment was CLEAN. Bathrooms, linens, everything was well kept.

Wifi worked like a charm which is very important.

The location of the resort is pretty much in the middle of town without feeling crowded in. Lake Placid offers tons and the resort is within easy walking distance from those things. It also has free parking.

The resort's restaurant, Generations, is FABULOUS. But that will be the subject of another review.

Finally, the staff was very friendly and eager to help - thanks!

Room Tip: A view of the river!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear ilivetotravel_Raul,

Thank you for staying at the Golden Arrow. I am very glad you had such a lovely stay. It’s wonderful to hear that you found your room clean, our Wi-Fi working properly, as well as our location in town and on the lake to be perfect for you. Thank you, also, for complementing our restaurant and staff. Everyone here works hard to make our guests’ stays wonderful, and to hear your kind comments is much appreciated.

I truly thank you for taking the time to review the Golden Arrow. I hope you will stay with us next time you are in Lake Placid.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Arriving on a winter's night to this lovely spot in a light snow felt sort of magical. The staff was very friendly and pleasant both days and the restaurant was also quite good for breakfast and not overpriced. Their cinnamon bun was huge and probably the best I've ever eaten. The standard non-lake-view room was modernized, squeaky clean, spacious and comfortable and the bed either had a pillow top or a foam top so was firm but very cushioned. The only complaint was that the room heater cycled on and off all night and was rather loud. We told the staff about it and they immediately responded that they would ask maintenance to check it. We did not stay a second night so cannot comment on any improvement.

Room Tip: The non-lake view standard room was pleasant and spacious but I bet the lake view rooms would be won...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SweetFreesia,

Thank you very much for your review of the Golden Arrow. I am glad you found our accommodations modernized, squeaky clean, spacious, and comfortable. Thank you for complementing our restaurant, Generations, as well. I couldn't agree more, their cinnamon buns are to die for!

I deeply apologize that the heater in your room interrupted your slumber. If our maintenance men looked at it, then I am sure the problem was eradicated. I am not sure what room you were staying in so it’s difficult for me to know for sure, but if they had received a second complaint they would have someone else come take a look at it, and to my knowledge that hasn't been necessary.

Thank you again for your wonderful words, I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed for three nights on a ski trip before Christmas. In all, a great experience. Wonderful location in the center of town across from the Olympic Center and right on the lake. Although we did not pay for a lake-view room we got one anyway. Our room was very large and cheerfully decorated. The bed and the bedding were very comfy. There was also a new flat screen TV and fridge. A nice shower. The indoor pool, hot tub and sauna were great. Breakfasts were included and were great. Staff was friendly. I also appreciate the hotel's ecological initiatives. I would definitely stay here a again. the underground parking was also a plus when it is below 0 a night

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
GenerationsLP, Director of Marketing at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear kibbabibba,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Golden Arrow for your pre-Christmas ski trip. I’m so glad you had such a great experience. It’s wonderful that you enjoyed your lakefront room, as well as comfy bed and our indoor pool area. I want to also thank you for pointing out our ecological initiatives as we spend a lot of time and thought into running a sustainable business.

I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Lake Placid. Have a wonderful 2014!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I just returned from three nights at the Lake Placid Golden Arrow with my family there for a hockey tournament. For much of my life I have driven by and always noticed it was both an attractive property and seemingly ever popular. Now I know why after my first stay. All-around excellent experience let me name a few top reasons:

1. Fantastic, beautiful location right on Mirror Lake, minutes away on foot to nearly everything in central Lake Placid. You can park your car and leave it!!! I see they have Whiteface ski shuttle too.
2. Clean, quiet hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Hotels looks like it has undergone some fairly extensive renovations and upgrades.
3. One of the best non-resort hotel pools and sauna area I've seen in a hotel outside all inclusive resorts. Large main pool and two hot tubs with both steam and dry saunas.
4. Nice bar and restaurant - normally I eat and drink outside of hotels but was pleasantly pleased. The upper seating area is particularly inviting with lake view and comfortable seating.
5. Convenient covered parking great for snow or rain.

My only issue was occasionally spotty Wi-Fi but this could have been my mobile device? To management only suggestion is to enforce your posted policy of no outside food and drinks in main lobby. Saw this only one evening with a large party munching on pizza and tossing back bottles of beer and it was sort of a turn-off for such an extremely well managed property.

I will definitely return again for future visits. Summer stays look great with beautiful pictures of the lake and beach. For winter visitors - don't miss the dog sled rides in front. Great fun and a real value!

(For comparison check my review of the nearby Northwoods Inn from a few years ago. Difference between these two hotels could not be more extreme.)

Room Tip: Of course ask for Lake View room. Higher the better except for summer when easy beach access might...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Suitcase_Sherpa,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m glad you were able to give us a try for your recent trip to Lake Placid. It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed our location on Mirror Lake, the clean and quiet atmosphere we have, our large pool area, Generations Restaurant, and covered parking garages. I truly appreciate you pointing out all of those items.

To address your issues with the stay, the Wi-Fi can occasionally be spotty, mostly if you have an iPhone. iPhones often don’t remember the password so you do have to continue to log in every time you use it. As far as the people with the pizza in the lobby, this is not something that we normally allow. Unfortunately that does fall upon the staff working at the Front Desk to enforce, and sometimes they aren't as strict as we would like them to be. We do want all of our guests to have a good time while they are staying with us, but it cannot compromise the good time of another guest. Normally, we have a room on the first floor of the hotel that we allow guests to rent for pizza parties. I deeply apologize that these guests were disruptive. I have sent a note to the front desk staff reminding them that it is their duty to shut these parties down.

You should most definitely stay with us in the summer. It is a beautiful time to be on Mirror Lake; our white sand beach is a must see. I hope to see you back at the Golden Arrow soon, until then; I wish you safe and happy travels!