“Great potential, but needs cleaning.”

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Lake Placid
GreenLeadersGold level
sackets harbor, new york
“Great potential, but needs cleaning.”
Reviewed 10 October 2008

We just stayed at the Golden arrow in lake placid on Oct 8, 2008. Our room was in the hay stack. Great location and super clerk that checked us in.
My disappointment came when I got into the room with a sticky and dirty bathroom floor. The new style vessel type sink was gross. the plumbers putty was left around the drain and was discolored. It was gross.
Long black hair on the towel by the whirlpool tub. The tub itself was dirty with the last guests hair and dirt stuck on the side of the tub. I cleaned it off with a face cloth. I guess I was supposed to bring my cleaning supplies.
The refrigerator was not wiped out from the last people.
The sheets were just ok. nothing outstanding. I did notice the bottom sheet was on inside out. On the positive side, our king bed was very comfortable.
Just outside our room by the hall light, there was a medium size spider and cob webs. extremely noticeable. He was still hanging in there when we left.
It is unfortunate to have such a great room, but so many details missed. Normally, I would never make a negative comment.
But I feel the fairly high rate for this room should have had some attention to cleaning and someone supervising the staff.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs cleaning
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank candlebb
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
I was surprised and upset to read your review of the Haystack Specialty Room. It is one of our newest guest rooms and is in the running to become on of the most popular. Thank you so much for letting me know about this issue. I have brought it to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper who will deal with the problem immediately. I only wish you had mentioned it to us during your stay so we could have taken care of everything right away for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Hebrew first
Madison, CT
Reviewed 2 October 2008

The Golden Arrow was perfect for us as we were driving from CT to north of Montreal and we were towing a trailer. We just wanted a one night stay. I made mention of the trailer when I made the reservation and when we got there they actually had blocked off more than enough room for our conversion van and trailer in their parking lot. The handicapped room was very adequate with two double beds for ourselves and our son who uses a wheelchair.

• Disliked — The hotel has down its best with regards to accessibility but steps to the pool and some large thresholds in areas make it difficult for a wheelchair to get over them without some assistance. Not insurmountable but needs to be noted.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 September 2008

There were a lot of things we loved about this stay, and some not so much. Starting with the Pro's.... The Golden Arrow is in an excellent location. The front of the property is pretty much right in the middle of town, and there is also hotel access to the Alpine Village shops right on the main street. It was an easy walk (less than 5 min) to the Olympic Skating Venues. The rear of the property is directly on Mirror Lake so all the rooms on the back side seem to have a good view of the Lake and Whiteface Mtn. The parking was quite interesting as they have a top level parking lot with several underground parking lots attached to the resort. You needed to take a few minutes to understand where your room was and what parking lot options were the best. We never had a problem parking in a spot convenient to our room while we were there. The hotel has a nice sandy beach area on Mirror Lake which the kids loved. We also took advantage of the free use of resort paddle boats and row boats which the kids also were thrilled with. Some folks reported having a long wait for the boats but we never had a problem at the times we used them. The resort has an indoor pool/hot tub area with lots of stone work. The lobby area is the nicest part of the resort;large with many seating areas and a great view of Mirror Lake. Our family had an especially good time relaxing in the lobby later in the evening and playing card games with the kids. We stayed in a Windfall Suite/Efficiency. The room size/amenities were perfect for us (2 adult/2 children). It has 2 queen beds in the main room plus a twin bed in a small alcove room. Perfect for us since each kid had their own bed. It had a separate small kitchenette-room with a table, chairs, microwave, mini-fridge, mini-stovetop and sink. It was nice for making/eating breakfast there every morning. The Windfall room had a balcony with a great view out over Mirror Lake and of Whiteface in the distance. Now for the not so good.... Our suite's bathroom was on the small side. The lobby was very nice but some other resort areas were in need of a little updating. Our suite was the last room on the west side of the hotel and although the view out was great, the view directly down over the balcony was of several very large green utility boxes (appeared to be electrical related). Plus the view to the side was of a neighboring properly that was not kept up very well and had items laying the yard. So we had to make sure we focused on the view 'Out' and not 'Down and to the side'. Most other rooms wouldn't have this issue and I'd request a different Suite/Efficiency if we stayed there again. There was a strong mildew smell in the nearby hallway and stairway outside our room. I mentioned this to the front desk and they cleaned something during our stay because we could briefly smell the cleaning solution instead of mildew. It was the stairway that goes to the Alpine Villiage shops. I was told it was because of a water issue in a basement utility room from recent heavy rains. I emailed the hotel about this again after our stay to report my dissapointment and they did respond they will have this looked at again. Overall, we had a great time staying at the Golden Arror for our vacationing in the Lake Placid area. The activities available at Golden Arrow contributed to making it memorable. The kids especially liked the swimming, boating and evenings in the lobby playing cards. I'd consider staying again but be selective about the room we stayed in. There are above average aspects to the resort, but I can't give this review more than an average rating for our stay because the smell I mentioned earlier really bothered us at times and my wife kept finding cheerios in our room from prior quests.

• Liked — Location, Amenities
  • Disliked — Some problems with room
1 Thank fly-or-drive
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 1 October 2008
Thank you for that very detailed review of our resort. I appreciate your fair and honest description of your experience. I would just like to address two points.

First, the smell in the stairwell. We did receive a record amount of rain this summer which caused some minor flooding in one of our boiler room areas. That is what caused the smell. We have since remedied the problem and I have not had a recurrence since you originally brought it to my attention.

Next, the "down and over" view from your room. The big green boxes you described are transformer boxes owned by the Village of Lake Placid. Originally they were well hidden by some large cedar trees. However we had to cut those trees down this summer because the Village is replacing the old transformers with new more efficient versions. The good news is that the new technology will operate more efficiently and allow us to get rid of one of the older transformers. The bad news is that this process will last through the winter. Rest assured though that as soon as it is complete, we intend to replant trees & gardens around the new transformers. When that is complete, guests in those rooms will be able to happily look in any direction they prefer.
Poughkeepsie NY
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I called the resort directly to make my reservation. I am disabled (but not wheelchair bound). I asked about the pool area and if there were an steps. I was told -twice - that there 5 steps to the pool area. That was correct but then once the guest got down those steps there were an additional 11 steps to get to the pool. I spoke to the manager on duty and explained what happened. She was very apologetic and attempted to suggest an alternative way to the pool but I would have had to go to the front desk and the front end staff would have had to located someone to open the side door. This was a feeble attempt to correct the problem. In addition, if I wanted to use the pool in the evening I would have to go outside in 50 degree weather (not comfortable in a wet bathing suit. No discount was given because I experienced this problem.

However, the room accomodations were excellent. We had a room that overlooked Mirror Lake. The room had a balcony with 2 chairs that we used often. Beds were very comfortable!!

The resort was close to restaurants - many within walking distance for those who can walk unencumbered.

• Liked — room overlooked Mirror Lake; balcony used for enjoying lake
  • Disliked — inability to use all services
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 19 September 2008
I am so sorry that my staff did not accurately describe the entrance to the pool to you. We have 2 new Front Desk Clerks training right now, and my only explinatioin is that you must have spoken to one of them. We have all of the staff do a thurough tour of the property as part of thier training. I will be sure to have both of them tour again.
The pool was built over 40 years ago. Although it has been refurbished continuously since then (most recently in the Fall of 2007), we have not been able to make it more handicapped friendly. There is access to the pool if you are in a wheelchair or have a hard time going up and down stairs, but you are correct that you have to go outside to access that entrance. We do try to limit the inconvenieince of the exterior entrance by providing locker rooms and showers in the pool area (so you will not have to be outside in a bathing suit) and also by providing staff assistance.
Again, I am so sorry that you were not given accurate information to your question and will person
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 6 September 2008

We have been coming to Lake Placid for our September anniversary for the last 7 years. We used to stay in
B&B's in Keene until our first look at the Golden Arrow.
The front desk staff invited us to look at a room with a view of Mirror Lake and we have booked the same room for the last three years.
Our second and third years, a gift bag with Wine, glasses, chocolate, coffee etc were presented to us with wishes for a wonderful anniversary.
The Views, The Staff, the attention to details will keep us coming back for many years.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Musty smell in stairway to garage
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed 1 September 2008

By far the best location in Lake Placid, right in town and on Mirror Lake. We had one of the suites for a week and could not have asked for better service. The staff was wonderful and very helpfull.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
New Jersey
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We were a little weary with coming to Golden Arrow with all the iffy reviews but it was a good stay for us. We arrived at Golden Arrow on Friday around 3ish. Check in was 4:00, I called a day prior to request early check-in-this was fulfilled. Getting around the hotel is a bit confusing but I think with every hotel it does take a couple of days to get use to. The lobby is well kept up. We stayed in one of the Whiteface suites. Yes the wall paper is old but its really not that outdated, yes it could use a bit of refreshing but it does not take away from the ambiance of the room. There were only 2 things I did not like...I am a CLEAN nut....the bathroom yuk...my husband said he would rather take a bath in the lake...they need to qualk and scrub the dirt in the bathroom and the shower faucet it was so hard getting the right temp. Pets....its pet friendly which is fine but there are kids running around barefoot and they let the dogs pee where ever on the property...very unsanitary. One last thing as an advise to the hotel if they are reading....for the price of the room, they should really offer some kind of buffet, or a free newspaper!!

Everyone was very nice and helpful. The views if the lake are beautiful. Its very very kid friendly which we love to see families enjoying themselves!

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Owner-Jenn, Owner at Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2008
Thank you for your review. I do actively read the guest comments on this site because I often find some very good feedback here. Let me address your issues, the bathroom: we are constantly updating our hotel, from hallways and public spaces to the bathrooms in each guest room. As you can imagine, the work never ends. It is impossible to do everything at once, so we take it floor by floor and rotate. Usually by the time we have completed the entire property, it is time to start again at the beginning. I wish you had mentioned something about the bathroom during your stay as we would have tried to move you or put you somewhere you were more comfortable. At the very least we would have had it re cleaned to your satisfaction.

The pets: although we do allow pets and are a pet friendly resort, it clearly states in the materials that eaach pet owner gets in the mail and again at check in that pets are to be taken off premises to be walked/relieve themselves. We do not want them in the beach area any more than you do exactly for the reasons you have mentioned in your report. Not all guests follow the rules, and we have to walk a fine line between being a great place to come with your pet and family and being very stringent. We do our best to find that middle ground.

The complementary paper: we do not hand out a complimentary newspaper because it is not the "green" thing to do. Statistics show that the majority of guests do not read the complementary papers and that they are simply thrown away, leaving a lot of waste.

Thank you again for your comments and suggestions. As always we appreciate them.